News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Dream List- Because of this site
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:04:31 AM »
One of my favorite things about this site is seeing pictures and hearing descriptions of courses that I would never have been interested in but for this site.  As a result of this site, I played Sutton Bay, Wildhorse, Big Fish, Texarkana Country Club, San Juan Oaks and the Wilderness at Fortune Bay this year.  I probably would have gone to Australia this Christmas with or without this site, but will be spending Christmas Day in Tasmania with the family because I want to see Barnbougle.  

Here is a list of courses I would not have wanted to make a special effort to play but for this site:

1.  Pennard
2.  Deal
3.  Rye
4.  Swinley Forest
5.  Carne
6.  Huntington Valley
7.  Fisher's Island
8.  Cruden Bay
9   Tobacco Road
10. Barona Creek

And a special bonus:  THE RANCH

I probably could add 30 others.  So many destinations, so little time and marital capital.

Interested if others have similar lists.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Dream List- Because of this site
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:10:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Jason, I do love the inquisitive nature.  Yes, you do need to see THE RANCH if only to remind you how nice you have at your own home course.

But that has to the first, and hopefully last an only time, that horrid course appears in a list with those great ones.

This is a great topic though, THE RANCH notwithstanding. I too have sought out quite a few courses due to this web site.  I've grown in appreciation of my local fave Pasatiempo most definitely because of this web site.  Heck, I found out for sure that a place called National Golf Links of America existed... and that the best course in the world exists in the middle of freakin' Nebraska, all for this web site...  I too have learned about nearly all the ones you list, primarily because of here...

It remains a great place.

;D

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 11:16:54 AM »
Among older courses, the photos from St Enodoc have inspired me to put that high on my wish list.

The other thing I'd like to do is take a tour of courses built by architects that contribute to this site. I'd love to see Barnbougle, Cabot Links, Laurel Links, Boston GC, Kingsley, Cowboys, etc.

I'd especially like to see the Sheep Ranch and Cabin Bluff (I think that is what it's called), as well as any other unusual courses out there.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:57:51 AM »
Eastward Ho!
Westward Ho!
The Addington
Narin & Portnoo
St. Patricks, but now maybe I should or should not wait for Jack?
Machrihanish
Myopia Hunt
Ekwanok
Prouts Neck
Oyster Harbors
Yeamans Hall
Ballyneal
Lederock

Richard Pennell

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 12:42:32 PM »
Great thread Jason. I'm at risk of seeming a little nerdy here, but I think it might be acceptible on this site! At the start of the year I made a list of places I wanted to get to, and most of them came from reading the pure enthusiasm that bounces off the page here. Not only did I get to some that I might not have known of eg Swinley Forest, Liphook, Coombe Hill, Hankley Common, Portrush, County Down, etc, but I was more aware of certain things at the more obvious choices eg the change in routing and the various architect's greens at Lahinch, the remodelling of the 17th green at Valderrama etc.

Ran's course reviews are an excellent start, and in the "In My Opinion" section Mark's guide to UK courses is great.

Here's the ones I can't wait to see:

Royal St Georges (next Monday!)
Pennard (Sean, I'm desperate)
Royal Porthcawl
The Berkshire (Both)
Rye
Royal North Devon
Chart Hills (hope James Edwards reads this)
North Foreland
Deal

Then next year some Scottish golf, St Andrews, Gullane, etc

And when I win the lottery maybe Long Island and the east coast

Oh, and Australia
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:17:37 PM »
 Two courses became dreams of mine because of this site.

The National Golf Links of America  pictures of the November 2003 outing were inspiring. I played there last year. It was magical.

The pictures and talk of Painswick draw me there----someday.
AKA Mayday

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:32:44 PM »
Places I would not have played  without knowledge imparted on this site (not talking access):  

Swinley Forest
The Addington
Aberdovey
Harlech
Yale
Tobacco Road
Pine Needles
Southern Pines
Beechtree
Fox Chapel
CC Scranton
CC Charleston
Westhampton

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »
Without this site I would not have played earlier this year

Yale
The Creek
Ridgewood
Gulph Mills
Rolling Green
Four Streams
Winged Foot East and West
and I got to see the best amateurs in the world play Merion.

What an education!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:57:30 PM »
Where would I like to play because of what I've read here?

Pacific Dunes
Sand Hills
Friar's Head
Barnbougle Dunes
Banff Springs
Jasper Park
Highlands Links
St George's
Capilano
Crystal Downs
Casa de Campo

To where would I like to return with a camera to share the course with other GCAers:

Esbjerg
Holstebro
Royal Belgique
Royal GC des Fagnes
Stoneham
Tadmarton Heath
Luffenham Heath
West Cornwall

And I few I've never been to:
Puerta de Hierro (I drove past it in sleet last week on my way from Madrid to Valladolid - I've never played it, but I've seen enough then and before to to know I want to)
Krefelder
Hamburger (Falkenstein)

Jfaspen

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »
A short list..

Tobacco Road
Bulls Bay
CPC
Crystal Downs
Lahinich
Muirfield
Pine Valley
Sand Hills
Stone Eagle
Kingsley
High Pointe
NGLA
Shinny

It's a good smattering.. I realize though that I have so much to learn in order to be able to appreciate those courses to their fullest.  I'd like to think that my attention to GCA detail improves every time I play.

Either way.. I now visit this site daily and consider it a big part of my golf habit.  I can't wait to be at KP later this year and put some names to faces.

jf
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 05:57:31 PM by Jeffrey Formanczyk »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 09:31:12 PM »
No one listed Sage Valley, a real treat
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Cory Lewis

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:10:09 AM »
Fantastic courses I never would have played without knowledge from this site:

Fenway
Meadow Club
Myopia Hunt
Forsgate
Whipporwill
Ekwanok
Hollywood
Yeamans Hall
Rolling Green

Courses I will seek out because of this site:

Crystal Downs
Essex County(NJ)
Kingsley
The Creek
Black Mesa
Mountain Lake

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »
The number and stature of the courses many of you all are able to play fills me with both a profound appreciation of the opinions you are qualified to express and a deep-seated envy of your lifestyle! Before coming to GCA I'd heard of many of the "big guns" and wanted to play them, but now I'm able to press my nose against the shopwindows of even more gems. What's more, this site has made me aware of just how many great courses are playable by the likes of myself, especially in Great Britain. A short list follows of "must-plays" that I may or may not ever get to see in person  -  courses I may not have ever dreamed of but for this site:

Cuscowilla
Deal
Royal North Devon
Pennard
Cape Breton Highlands Links
Boston
Painswick
Woodhall
Friar's Head
Fisher's Island
Maidstone

And it goes on and on........What's been most interesting for me is that the kind of course I dream of most has changed over time. Like many of the uninitiated, I used to dream mainly of the likes of Augusta, but now I find myself thinking more of Deal or Dornoch. Growing up, I guess........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back