News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ForkaB

GCA Power Ball Lotto--TEP's 20,000th post
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:28:24 AM »
TEP is at 19,906 and counting.  I think it would be good to have a GCA lotto as to tghe exact time when #20,000 occurs, and (as a tie breaker if two or more people choose the same time) what the subject of that topic might be.

For guidance, I have checked his recent stats, and he had 36 posts yesterday, so this implies 2-3 days before the magic number is reached.  Of course, this could all change if he and Pat Mucci get in a cat fight or Tom gets called away to help in the relief efforts at Gulfstream GC due to hurricane Wilma.

As for topics, based on recent posts, the possible subject matters might be:

1.  Everything that Pat Mucci says about (fill in the blank) is wrong.
2.  "Long John" Hurley (yes, I am worried about this obsession too.....)
3.  Fireball Roberts, Max Behr and the existential significance of the "wall of death."
4.  "I can't hit my way out of a paper bag, but let me tell you about the time I stuffed Jay Siegel in the Crump Cup...."
5.  The Top 100 Debutantes of 1960.  A personal ranking.

All valid submissions will be kept in a locked peanut-butter jar and later validated by those fine accountants at Arthur Andersen.

PThomas

Re:GCA Power Ball Lotto--TEP's 20,000th post
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 01:07:44 AM »
I'll say Oct 31 - it's my birthday so that must mean SOMETHING ;) - at 2:12 pm
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 03:19:43 AM »
3 mins past 11 on 1st November.

It will be at least 3000 words and all written after he's finsihed observing his minutes silence.

it will end "... one of these days I'm going to set down exactly who did what, to whom, when, at PV."   ;D

A GCA milestone.
Let's make GCA grate again!

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 06:36:39 AM »
Tony,

Reconsider that...he'll be on the road.

I'll say Novemeber 5th at 7:41pm

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 06:37:47 AM »
...I have first hand knowledge that Tom has some concerns with this next level and is considering deleting some of his previous posts [true].
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 06:27:27 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »
"TEP is at 19,906 and counting.  I think it would be good to have a GCA lotto as to tghe exact time when #20,000 occurs, and (as a tie breaker if two or more people choose the same time) what the subject of that topic might be."

Richard the Magnificent:

Can I get in this Lotto game? ;)

I don't know what the hell is going on here since I've never understood this wonderful world of the Internet but it appears TEPaul is not at 19,906 posts but has actually slipped below 19,000!

Would you like to create a Super Duper Lotto to see who can guess which TEPaul can get to first---20,000 posts or 10,000 posts?  ;)

Not only that but I've been saying for quite some time now on here that this Paul Cowley is not only awesome in his inherent golf architectural talent and thinking but he is a fascinatingly intuitive man about many other things as well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 10:59:38 AM by TEPaul »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 10:56:41 AM »
I am concerned that with cold weather in the area we might not get past today. November 3rd at 9:19 AM central time.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »
"Long John" Hurley wouldn't be worried about passing this milestone!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:09:50 PM »
DanK:

I'm not sure what you mean there about Long John Hurley but to me frankly the young man and what he can do is very interesting for a lot of reasons. I think I just might start a separate thread about him just to see what those on here think about mentioning him the way I have. He actually looks in on this website and even if he can't post because he's not registered he stays in touch with me sometimes about this stuff. I think it would be interesting for the contributors to this site to hear how he feels about all this distance stuff---what it once was, what it is now, and perhaps even how a guy like him feels or hopes it may go in the future. He's only 18 now and after-all young golfers like him are golf's future.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 12:12:08 PM by TEPaul »

ForkaB

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 12:11:07 PM »
Nice try, Tom, but I don't think you have either the heart or ability to delete posts faster than you can write them.  I see you are back at 19,000 and climbing. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »
"Nice try, Tom, but I don't think you have either the heart or ability to delete posts faster than you can write them.  I see you are back at 19,000 and climbing.  :)

Rich:

Maybe, maybe not. We shall see. Can I get in this Lotto game?

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 12:19:20 PM »
If Tom gets in,  I'll take the twelfth of never.

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 12:27:08 PM »
"Nice try, Tom, but I don't think you have either the heart or ability to delete posts faster than you can write them.  I see you are back at 19,000 and climbing.  :)

Rich:

Maybe, maybe not. We shall see. Can I get in this Lotto game?

Of course you can, Tom, just as long as you promise not to cheat!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 12:33:17 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean there about Long John Hurley...

Rich does.

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 01:07:38 PM »
DanK:

Would it be this from Rich's initial post?

"2.  "Long John" Hurley (yes, I am worried about this obsession too.....)"

If so, I admit, that kind of distance sure does fascinate me for a lot of reasons. And I've been around golf and golfers long enough to know it totally fascinates them too, and almost to a man, although hardly a single one can bring himself to admit it. ;) I dare say, perhaps other than Ran Morrissett there probably isn't a contributor on this website who wouldn't give most anything to see and feel what it's like to be on the delivering end of one of Long John Hurley's drives. Of course most will deny it but it's just that denial---eg unwillingness to admit the truth.

Look at all these golfers everywhere who yell and scream about how increased distance is ruining the game. But what's in their bags? The newest and latest distance enhancing high-tech balls and equipment. If they're personally so against distance then why do they buy and use that stuff? You know what almost everyone says about that? "If I don't use it everyone else who does will beat me."

That's probably the biggest horseshit rationalization I've ever known if someone really wants you to believe they really are personally opposed to distance.

No Sir, there's no question at all---none---that the allure of increased distance and the fascination with it in almost every single golfer is probably the single most seductive thing in all of golf. Always has been, it is now, and very likely always will be. The fact that so few who bitterly complain about distance can't admit that is the most ironic and laughable thing of all.

But that's golf, isn't it? No one can truly put their finger on what it's completely about. It probably always will be inscrutable to some degree. ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:09:46 PM by TEPaul »

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »
Dammit, Tom!  You've sneaked under 19,900 again!

I think I'll have to start another contest:

"Which posts have been deleted by Tom Paul, and what will be the next one?"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 01:45:08 PM »
I dare say, perhaps other than Ran Morrissett there probably isn't a contributor on this website who wouldn't give most anything to see and feel what it's like to be on the delivering end of one of Long John Hurley's drives. Of course most will deny it but it's just that denial---eg unwillingness to admit the truth.

Apparently you won't believe me, Tom I, but I'll say it anyway:

I'd rather hit (or see) a perfectly pure 3-iron to the green, or a perfectly pure flop shot over a bunker, or a perfectly executed screaming downhill putt than one of John Hurley's leviathan drives.

Why?

Because the three things I've mentioned all require (in my opinion) more *skill* than one of Long John Hurley's drives.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't love to hit one of his drives. I'm sure I would. But I surely wouldn't give "most anything" to do so -- even many of the things that even I, on the golf course, occasionally CAN do.

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 01:53:58 PM »
"Apparently you won't believe me, Tom I, but I'll say it anyway:"

DanK:

You've got that right!  ;)

If you're gonna tell me you'd rather be on the deliverying end of a flop shot or 3 iron rather than one of John Hurley's drives perhaps it would be a good thing if you saw one of his drives first before making that statement.  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 02:40:53 PM »
Dan Kelly,

What if you can hit one of John Hurley's titanic drives and hit that flop shot, crisp 3-iron (Hurley has this shot down pretty well--it likely carries longer than your driver) and long downhill putt?  You can't teach the kind of swing speed and length that John Hurley was blessed with.  I have a feeling his college coach can teach him how to have a short game.  If not, Tom Paul can.  You give John Hurley Tom Paul's short game and he would be scary good.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:41:42 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 03:43:51 PM »
Dan Kelly,

What if you can hit one of John Hurley's titanic drives and hit that flop shot, crisp 3-iron (Hurley has this shot down pretty well--it likely carries longer than your driver) and long downhill putt?  You can't teach the kind of swing speed and length that John Hurley was blessed with.  I have a feeling his college coach can teach him how to have a short game.  If not, Tom Paul can.  You give John Hurley Tom Paul's short game and he would be scary good.

Wayne --

I wait with 'bated breath to see if young Mr. Hurley has (and/or can develop) the whole game -- with or without TEP's help!

Of course, I wasn't saying that I wouldn't love to drive the ball the way he reportedly can, and I certainly wasn't saying that I wouldn't love to drive the ball the way he reportedly can and follow up with pure 3-irons and flop shots and screaming downhill putts.

I was saying, merely (and honestly), that, in constrast to Tom I's claim about all of the rest of us, I think hitting those shots would please me more than hitting one of young Mr. Hurley's titanic drives.

Though, of course, as Tom I rightly notes, I've neither seen nor hit one of those.

Dan

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 03:52:09 PM »
Dan,

Of course different folks have different feelings.  I respect what gives you the most satisfaction.  I wasn't trying to be critical at all.  The overwhelming majority of golfers likely would rather hit those titanic drives--that's what they practice and that's what they spend money on for equipment.  Glad to see you're in the minority.  I'm a firm believer that that is almost always a good thing.  

I think this guy has the talent to become a tour quality player if his mind catches up to his body and he learns a short game.  Of course I'm only guessing with little confidence that I can be certain.  There are plenty of long drivers out there that belong on ESPN 8 The Ocho but it is a great starting point if progress can be made.

I agree there's something sweet about a well-excuted shot be it a 20-yard flop over a bunker tight to a pin or a 300-yard carry with driver to the perfect placement in the fairway.  I hope your game gives you lots of pleasure...me its mostly pain these days--in my left shoulder.

Best,
WSM
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 03:54:03 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 04:42:43 PM »
Rich,
I don't know when he will hit 20,000 posts, but my guess is that he will hit at least 30,000 before the Flynn book is out.  Anyone want to take an over/under bet on that with me?   ;D
Mark

By the way, Wayne you are excluded from the bet because you might know too much  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:45:12 PM by Mark_Fine »

wsmorrison

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 05:02:22 PM »
"By the way, Wayne you are excluded from the bet because you might know too much"

I've always felt I've known too much, but you're the first to corraborate that.  Thanks!  ;D

By the way, I am just about finished writing the book, I am nearly complete the fourth and last of my complete rewrites.  Tom has a small bit of work to do as does the fellow that is rewriting the Pocantico Hills chapter--SCR, Jr.

The grand total is 586 pages and 202,625 words...not one that can be deleted  ;)  We'll see what the editor says.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 05:03:19 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 05:18:16 PM »
11/4/05 - 11:40am.

JWK

Steve Wilson

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »
Speaking of 586 pages, it would be an interesting experiment to determine how many pages and words Tom Paul's 19,900 plus posts currently represent.  If I didn't happen to be on a dial up connection I'd perform the experiment for the good of us all.  

Now there would be a humongous over/under.  At only 100 words per post, we would be approaching 2,000,000 words.

If it were printed out, what would it weigh?  

To paraphrase Herbert Morrison

"Oh, the trees.!!!"
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back