News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Leatherstocking, Dev. Emmet in Cooperstown
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 07:57:33 AM »
Steve Curry,

It looks pretty neat.

A friend of mine used to play in a tournament at Leatherstocking and he was very high on the golf course, telling me that I should try to get up and play it.

I like the use of mounds and am always fascinated by their composition and construction.

It also looks like a nice tree management program would greatly enhance the golf course.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 08:18:25 AM »
Be careful what you are looking at.  I love Leatherstocking but this is a good example of going to see a course and thinking you will be playing/studying "a particular architect's design".  Much of the work you are looking at is not necessarily that of Emmet, in fact it is of Bob Cupp.  

In the past, Raynor may have done a fair amount of work there as well though he gets no credit for the course as far as I know.  

I’m not sure I'm enamored with the work Cupp is doing, a little too sculpted and too elaborate for me but it is not offensive.  There are some really neat land features there but "restoration" is not a term anyone is using.  

Mark

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:47:10 AM »
I thought some of the bunkers looked like Rees Jones work....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Keith Durrant

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:10:09 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos.

Looks very green and lush. Would the ball really run and bound into those hollows and bunkers with rough around them?

Is the 18th tee a recent addition or was it there in the early days - if recent, does it improve the hole?

Ted Kramer

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »
Leatherstocking is a great example of fun golf.
Throughout the round you are faced with a bunch of shots that are fun to try. The course isn't very long, it is more of a shotmakers test.

16-18 is about as good a closing stretch as I have found.
I think Leatherstocking would be very well received by the GCA crew. The routing gets a little funny when you cross the street, but that never detracted from my overall experience enough to leave a bad taste. . .

-Ted

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »
Mark,

What is the work that Raynor did at Leatherstocking?  Is this from your own reasearch or talks with George Bahto?  I have played the course several times and frankly do not see a lot of Raynor.  On the other hand, I have played numerous Dev Emmet courses and see a lot of his work especially around the greens.

It is unfortunate that the picture of the 4th green is the one Steve Curry posted directly on the site because the bunker work to the left of the green is obviously Cupp's.  My first reaction when I saw this green is where is this hole (I did not recognize it).  The work must have been done recently as it is not in any of my pictures of the course.   That being said, there is a lot of Emmet to be seen on holes 1 thourgh 3, and 6 through 15.

If you know Raynor's work please provide some more details.  I do not see any Raynor on the par 3's.  Maybe 17 through 18 as these holes have significantly changed.

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Curry

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 11:35:46 AM »
Chris,

I did post that photo in haste.  Sorry, see the new one.  I think the course in total is awesome and would love to know the break down of who did what.

Steve

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 01:20:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics and bringing back some fond memories.  My only time around the course there was back in the summer of 1990...and was the site of the VERY FIRST TIME that I ever beat my father in a round of golf.

He has yet to make me pay for the "bet" that day, a fine steak dinner. :)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 02:19:02 PM »
Steve,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to post the pictures.  I did not mean to be either rude or critical.  Remeber at least you posted photos, I never have.  Second, my point was that if there was any green you could pick to show in your photo 4, 5, 17, and 18 are the ones that are least representative or not Emmet's at all.  Again, thank you for taking the time and effort to post your photos.

I would still like to here from Mark Fine about Raynor's work if any at Leatherstocking.

Thanks,
Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back