News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Inverness Links (Nova Scotia) Announced
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »
I've had a long day today, building a new green and some bunkers, but I'll quickly offer this...

Going over our routing for Cabot Links in my head, I feel there's no less than eleven outstanding holes as they lay over the ground now.    

Every hole has sea views. In fact, a couple of the holes that need some "jazzing up", up on the higher ground farthest from the sea - such as 5, 6, 10, 11, and 13 - offer outstanding views across the course, down toward the beach.

The last three holes might be my favourite stretch, with the long, par-four sixteenth playing around a fishing harbour, followed by a really neat, natural short par-three offering specatular views, and another long par-four, playing straight down a hill toward the clubhouse and the sea beyond.

Ian: if you spent some time walking our routing, I think you'd come around to thinking this is the prime site for golf available in Canada at present.
jeffmingay.com

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2005, 09:31:25 PM »
The more I think about this and especially with the design philosophy I know Rod and Jeff will be bringing to the project, the more enthused I get. One thing that troubles me a bit: I don't believe there is much in the area as yet in the way of great accommodation. To Ben and others in the know: is that an accurate statement and are there plans afoot (by either the developers of the course or others you are aware of) to build accommodations worthy of the course?

I'm thinking I need to assemble some investors for a resort project...

Mick

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 12:28:17 AM »
Jeff,

I was playing Blackhawk yesterday, was that you in the big tonka like vehicle excavating the bunker at 2?  Thought the face looked familiar (from your website photo).  Course was in great shape for late fall in Edmonton (wish I could say the same for my game), I was still able to run up shots on 9 (not hard considering the topo), 11, and 18.

If you don't mind a little aside from the topic of this thread, what's happening with number 2 green?  

Congrats on the new job.

Mick

PS.  Blackhawk was in great shape for late fall golf Edmonton.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 08:36:36 PM »
One thing that troubles me a bit: I don't believe there is much in the area as yet in the way of great accommodation.
I second this thought and it is true of Cape Breton in general.  The Keltic Lodge has a magnificent setting but I stayed in one of the Inn rooms about five years ago and it brought to mind "Motel 6".  The food at the lodge was excellent and the rooms in the Main lodge looked better but there were very few of them (Perhaps the Inn has been updated since then?)  

Cape Breton will soon have 3 excellent golf courses and will be marketed as a golf destination.  I worry that the lodging is of a much lower class than the golf courses which could keep visitors away.

Comparing this area to other Canadian golf "destinations" such as: PEI, Mont Tremblant, Toronto, Muskoka and Whistler the first class lodging is where Cape Breton falls short, at least currently.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 09:15:39 PM »
Ben and Jeff

Since you both seem to think I'm knocking your project with my reply, I appologize for what I said. That was not my intent. I was just questioning what I thought was an overstatement.

Cabot Links will undoubtably be one of Canada's best courses when it is done.

Ian

Robert Thompson

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 10:27:49 PM »
Wayne,

I'll take first class golf over first class lodging any day, but you are right, and I am probably in the minority.
The Keltic Lodge's main rooms are akin to staying in a nice hotel in Scotland. In other words, kind of dated and understated.

Will the lack of great hotels hold these courses back? Maybe, but there are a great number of quality b&bs that have sprung up to look after those concerned about such things.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 10:41:43 PM »
Ian,
I do not feel like you are knocking the project, I know you too well to believe that.

Wayne,
The Inn has been renovated (as has the Lodge) in the past two years and the Inveraray Inn in Baddeck is quite nice as well. I believe we will meet the needs of all golfers.

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 04:48:17 AM »
I am not sure if the question was answered.  Is this course going to be public?

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Robert Thompson

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »
Sean: Yes, it will be public.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 08:25:18 AM »
My home away from home on Cape Breton Island: www.seagolfchalets.com

Run by awesome people in a great town.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
Ian,

I know you're not knocking the project. Just wanted to give you my .02 on the property. It's not sand dunes throughout, but it's still good... and it's next to the sea!

Mick,

That was me in the backhoe. You should have stopped to say hello.

We remodeled the second green, including the addition of two new bunkers, for a couple different reasons. It's all done now... sod and all. The green should be ready for play again in the spring.

P.S. Don't hit it in that greenside bunker you saw me shaping!
jeffmingay.com

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2005, 09:22:21 AM »
Jeff,

I missed this thread and just saw this on your website. Wow and congrats.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2005, 09:26:42 AM »
That's the proposed 8th hole, Mike. A par-three, about 150-160 yards.

Nice backdrop, eh ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:27:07 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2005, 09:49:09 AM »
Jeff,

From the looks of that photo of the proposed 8th hole, it seems like the early settlers of Nova Scotia brought golf with them and laid out a course the remnants of which can be seen in this photo.  If I am not mistaken, it looks to be the work of Mungo MacPaul that famous warrior/raconteur/ladies man/golfer/architect who left Scotland under mysterious circumstances.  His great-great-great-great-great-great grandson is none other than our own Tom Paul.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:49:54 AM by Wayne Morrison »

BCrosby

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2005, 10:45:36 AM »
Wayne -

Yes, that is clearly Mungo's work. I see design attribution battles down the road. ;)

If that is really a "before" picture, the site redefines "natural golf course".

Wow.

Bob

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2005, 11:04:10 AM »
That is a "before" photo, Bob. Curiously, it's actually part of the "cap" over the old mine spoils.
jeffmingay.com

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
Wayne, Right about Mungo.  I have an old Hutchinson book from 1910 that speaks about his mysterious disapperance, and hints that he may have migrated to New Scotland (Nova Scotia).

;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2005, 03:57:54 PM »
""Yes, that is clearly Mungo's work. I see design attribution battles down the road."

"Wayne, Right about Mungo.  I have an old Hutchinson book from 1910 that speaks about his mysterious disapperance, and hints that he may have migrated to New Scotland (Nova Scotia)."

Tom Paul is going to get his NY lawyers (Philadelphia lawyers don't seem good enough for Tommy) to see about reviewing the title to the property and make sure old Mungo didn't really own the place and after all these years Tom is the true owner today ;)

"That is a "before" photo, Bob. Curiously, it's actually part of the "cap" over the old mine spoils."

That's some pretty good looking capping if it ain't old Mungo MacPaul.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2005, 06:19:11 PM »
Jeff,

You realize, of course, that all you need to do in that pic is establish the putting surface and stab a pin in! ;D

Good looking parcel, if it is all similar to that.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »
A few more photos from a recent trip down to the site.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2005, 04:56:06 PM »
Nice photos, Ben!

The first shot is left of the fourth hole; next is the view you'll have from the 1st tee area; and the last is taken in the vicinity of the 2nd tee, approximately.
jeffmingay.com

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2005, 05:46:37 PM »
These photos bring to mind a quote that Old Tom was supposed to have uttered when he saw Machrihanish (and maybe several other sites)  "When the good Lord made this site He had golf in mind"

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2005, 07:29:35 PM »
Jeff,
Congrats.  Looks like an amazing site and I know that you and Rod will truly create something special.  Please congratulate and say hi to Rod for me.  This past summer I worked with him and it was a true pleasure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back