News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Mountain Brook Club, Birmingham AL
« on: October 02, 2005, 04:12:30 PM »
Going to a wedding in Birmingham next weekend and have an opportunity to play Mountain Brook Friday.  Golfcourse.com says the course is originally Ross (1929) with 1965 update by George Cobb and 1985 by John LaFoy.  Anybody have an input on the course? I haven't played too many Ross courses and look forward to this one.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 04:13:05 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jason Blasberg

Re:Mountain Brook Club, Birmingham AL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 08:48:03 AM »
Bill:

About 7 years ago I too went to a wedding at Mountain Brook and played.  I remember it being an interesting course with a lot of dog legs, kind of shoe horned in spots and in dire need of some tree trimming but there is a brook that winds in and out of several holes to make you think a bit.  There's also a good bit of movement in the property.  Definitely worth playing.  

BTW, the clubhouse at MB is a wonderful spot for a wedding.  I'll confess to enjoying the wedding more than the golf.

Jason

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:59 AM »
Thanks, Jason.  I'll post a report after playing up there.  There have been a lot of changes since the original Ross design in 1929.  Should be interesting.

John Goodman

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »
Last year the course was supposedly restored to the original Ross design.  I have not played it since then, but reports are that the green complexes and bunkering are more interesting than before, and the course is much improved.  I thought it was a fairly sporty and fun course before (though short), especially the front nine.  There is particularly nice contouring on some of the greens.  I hope you enjoy it.

MBC was founded in the late 20's when a number of members of the Country Club of Birmingham objected to CCB's building of a Tudor-style clubhouse.  MBC figures in a Joan Didion novel (I think A Book of Common Prayer), as well as Diane McWhorter's Pulitizer Prize winning book on the civil rights era in Birmingham, Carry Me Home.  It is one of four Alabama courses originally built by Ross (both of CCB's courses, and the Country Club of Mobile), and I think the only one that professes to be close to what it was originally.

Get someone to take you for Sunday brunch there; excellent Old South cuisine.          

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 10:15:33 AM »
Bill -

It (was?) a sporty little course. They have no room for expansion, as far as I can tell. I have heard mixed things about the restoration. Give us a full report on your return. I'm very curious about the changes.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back