News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

This course was saved from development and will be restored by Forrest Richardson. It has always been mentioned as one of the top short or "executive" courses in the country. More of these quality short courses are needed so juniors and seniors can play or for those who don't want to play a 5 hour round. Here's some of the article from today's Arizona Republic:

42-acre course presents challenges in redesign

Diana Balazs
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 27, 2005 12:00 AM

PARADISE VALLEY - It might not be the largest golf course in the Northeast Valley, but the 18-hole executive course at the old Marriott's Mountain Shadows Resort in Paradise Valley has to be one of the most scenic and quickest to play.

Where else can you complete a round in less than two hours - and with Camelback Mountain as a stunning backdrop?

The 42-acre course, designed in 1960 by the late golf course architect Arthur Jack Snyder, will be redesigned as part of the transformation of the 68-acre Mountain Shadows, 5641 E. Lincoln Drive.

Robert Flaxman, head of Crown Realty & Development Corp. has signed an agreement to purchase the property from the Host Marriott Corp.

The resort closed in September 2004 but the golf course, practice range and clubhouse remain open. In Celebration of Golf operates those facilities.

Once redeveloped, it will continue as a public course and also will serve the new resort.

Crown Realty plans to formally file redevelopment plans for Mountain Shadows with Paradise Valley officials in October.

Flaxman has teamed up with developer Taber Anderson to create the resort's master plan. Anderson is managing director for Crown Realty and has designed master-planned residential golf communities.

He's working with noted golf course architect Forrest Richardson to redesign the course. Richardson apprenticed with Snyder, who died in February at 87.

Transforming a nearly half-century-old course has its challenges. There are the 59 homes in the Mountain Shadows West subdivision that encircle it.

"Every single one of them front on the golf course in some manner, so obviously, there is a lot of sensitivity," Anderson said.

Then, of course, is the fact Mountain Shadows isn't a regulation championship course. The original design called for 2,655 yards. Typically, a golf course today is 7,000 yards. Regulation size is about 6,200 yards, Anderson said.

Mountain Shadows' course is more of a residential, or neighborhood, golf course.

"This was designed to be a very interesting fun-to-play (course) that doesn't require four or five, six hours to do it," he said.

In redesigning it, Anderson and Richardson have closely studied Snyder's original design to understand why he created it the way he did and to see if any of that is relative today.

"The game of golf has evolved," Anderson said. "The abilities of golfers and their equipment have evolved to new standards that didn't even exist at this time. There were no oversized drivers and graphite shafts and things of that nature."

The existing short practice range also will be redesigned. It's not a driving range, although it has been referred to as such.

"What I want to do is redevelop it as more of an oasis practice park, or practice oasis," Anderson said. "You're going to have targeted areas that are going to be indicative of the types of clubs that you would need to play this golf course effectively."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:11:19 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Forrest Richardson

Re:Mountain Shadows GC, Paradise Valley, AZ
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:48:16 AM »
Steve — Thanks for posting this. I had not seen the article yet. There are some other local pieces coming out. The project has been quiet for a while, but is now seeing some light in terms of the press.

Our work there will be to transform Jack's great work into a course which fits the newly designed, high-end resort. Obviously we are staying with the basic routing — but thankfully we are getting rise of the silly back tees that have been added over the past 30 years...Jack hated them!

Jack was memorialized at Mountain Shadows just this past March. Every time I visit the course, which is still open, it is a bitter sweet moment. On one hand it is an honor to be there, helping to bring back the Mountain Shadows that he always loved. But, it also is a reminder of how much he would have loved to be a part of the work. I wish he had at least known that I was hired for the work. Sadly, that word did not come until after his passing.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:54:07 PM »
For a short course, it is no pushover as the course rating is more than par:

Par 56
Rating:57.5
Slope 96
3081y

www.mountainshadowsgolfclub.com

Forrest:

When will your work be finished?

Steve
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:10:24 PM »
My best guess is work in 2007 and opening in 2008. Sounds like a long ways off...but there is much to do in the approval process for the resort, which is a very large undertaking. This is likely to become the highest end botique hotel in Phoenix/Scottsdale.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:37:10 PM »
Is the course 18 holes par 56?  i.e. 16 par 3's and 2 par 4's?

The best par 3 courses I've seen lately are those on the Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama.  Several are actually better designed and more fun to play than the full 18s!  Great variety of lengths, sizes of greens, etc.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:08:54 AM »
Mountain Shadows is currently a par-56 with two par-4s. The new routing will consist of 16 par-3s, 1 par-4 and a par-2 = par-54. Nine holes will comprise a members course of 1700-yards, allowing a USGA handicap.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

peter_p

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 01:57:04 AM »
Forrest,
Help me with the design of the par two. Is it just a green?
But what a green!? Will it be the best par two in America?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 01:58:07 AM by Peter Pittock »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 05:45:03 PM »
The current design calls for a 12,000 s.f. green that falls away from the "tees", which are simply markers set along any of several edges of the green. The golfer — depending on the marker placement — can putt, chip or pitch from green height, fringe or first cut turf. The shot will be anywhere from 20 to 60 yards. Yes, it is one big green. A great equalizer hole — everyone/nobody has an advantage.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
The current design calls for a 12,000 s.f. green that falls away from the "tees", which are simply markers set along any of several edges of the green. The golfer — depending on the marker placement — can putt, chip or pitch from green height, fringe or first cut turf. The shot will be anywhere from 20 to 60 yards. Yes, it is one big green. A great equalizer hole — everyone/nobody has an advantage.

Forrest - I gotta say, I love how you stretch the envelope.  This hole sounds really cool to me... and damn right it's gonna be a draw for the course... because it's so unique!  You surely are gonna have one of - if not THE - world's only par-twos.  And even though some stickler might argue that it's really a par three, you can tell him to pound sand.  

I also read on your website about the 350 yard par five... good lord does that sound cool... and talk about stretching the envelope... keep it up!

TH

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »
Tom — I wrote about par-2s in 2002, and before. We designed one in Hawaii at Kealakehe, but the project never has gotten air worthy. Not al all because of the par-2, but $$$ associated with a municipal project on the Big Island. That par-2 was on a 9-hole kid's (kieki) course.

I have always loved the par-2 idea, and have finally found a home for one. What better venue than a 3000-yard, 18-hole course?

(The 350-yard par-5 you mentioned — Lava Mountain — was an unfortunate casulty of politics and water troubles in Las Vegas. We were denied the work in favor of another designer after 4 years of advance effort...and then the project collasped. Too bad. It was a neat site.)

Thanks for the encouragement.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 06:20:44 PM »
Re the 350yd. par 5, all I can say is DAMMIT!  Good lord that sounded cool... the very epitome of strategic choices.  Oh well, I have great faith you'll find another site for such a thing some day.

And re the par two, that's exactly how I was looking at this - what better place for it than a shorty course like that?  Only the curmudgeonliest of curmudgeons could possibly complain. I truly think far more people will seek out the course to see it than will complain about it anyway.  And sure some might also call it gimmicky - but who cares?  It's not like the course is meant to be some pure "test of golf" or anything.

I know I want to play it - it sounds like pure fun.  

It also might be the best chance I have in this life for an ace.. and don't anyone tell me that wouldn't count.

;D

You might not have thought of that as a draw... a home and a hope for the aceless.... there are LEGIONS of us, sadly.

TH

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Mountain Shadows GC, Paradise Valley, AZ
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »
Finally...according to Forrest Richardson,  the new course is under construction and will open in a few months. Stay tuned for an announcement.

Here's the plan:
http://www.golfgroupltd.com/mountain_shadows.html

Forrest Richardson

Re: Mountain Shadows GC, Paradise Valley, AZ (Richardson)
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks Steve. Obviously our website needs to be updated! I will work to post the most updated plan soon. The plan under construction is a par-54, 18-hole (all par-3) layout. Will post some photos as it takes shape.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Mountain Shadows GC, Paradise Valley, AZ (Richardson)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
Looks like the course will reopen early next year, just in time for the 2nd Annual Phoenix Area Outing!

http://paradisevalleyindependent.com/news/lyon-eyes-resort-redefinition-at-paradise-valley-mountain-shadows-property/

Steve_ Shaffer

Second Annual PHX Area Outing!

Following up last year's tour of the course while under construction, let's see if this date can work to play this unique walkable course.

Forrest Richardson will host.

Send me a private message if you're available. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:13:46 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Dave August

5/14 is Mother's Day. In case you didn't know, and stuff like that is important to you...

Steve_ Shaffer

Ooops... May 13 is the exact date.  ;D

Dave August

Ooops... May 13 is the exact date.  ;D
Sweet - if it is an afternoon round, consider me interested!

Forrest Richardson

We are all set for May 13th - SATURDAY. Tee times will begin at 1:30 and as of now we have room for 12 players. Golf will be courtesy of Mountain Shadows for Arizona/regional GCA-ers. We can all have a no-host lunch/burger/beverage afterward. Please contact Steve directly as he will compile a final list. Look forward to see you all again.

P.S.  Walking is encouraged. We can get you a push cart. If a golf car is needed they go out with 4 bags; 2 players walk typically.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

Forrest,

So far, Dave Givnish, Tom Yost, Dave August & Lyman Gallup are in.

Forrest Richardson

Please give Steve an email with your confirmation. We need to start setting tee times.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

Last Saturday, a group of 12 walking golfers, including Forrest Richardson, played Mountain Shadows. It's a fun course and a great place to work on  the short game plus there are 18 chances for a hole in one! I missed one on the 10th hole by an inch. As you will see from the website, the course has architectural merit  of "interesting, inspired and bold design features" and is the recipient of Golf Inc's Public Renovation of the Year Award!

http://www.golfincmagazinemonthly-digital.com/golfincmagazinemonthly/may_june_2017     See Page 37

Take a tour:
https://www.mountainshadows.com/golf?NCK=google-local-search&gclid=CPWTqufj_9MCFdCXfgodMbwI2g

Congratulations to Forrest!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:02:27 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Forrest Richardson

Fun day. Thanks to the Phoenix/Scottsdale GCA-crowd for coming out.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back