News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Newport National
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:40:40 PM »
I've never seen anything written about this course on this site.  What do those that have played it think of the course?  It is one of my favorite public courses in the New England area.  I don't know if it doesn't get any mention because it is overshadowed by Newport CC or if it is just because people don't care for it.

I played it for the second time this summer.  It was in great condition, and I think I appreciated the layout even more the second time around.  

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Newport National
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
I clicked on to this thread thinking that Fazio must have sneekingly built a new course in Newport Beach. (California)

Whew!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 06:41:01 PM »
I  have played Newport National twice and it is a strong and enjoyable course.  It is in excellent shape and offers a good mix of holes.  Mix of short and longer par 4s are its strength.  I especially like 5 which is around 300 yards to an elevated green and offers lots of options.  Most holes are strategic with options and the green complexes are strong.  I don't like 3 and 4 being par 3s that are so similar with one going in one direction and the next coming back.  It is an especially good deal for instate residents after 2 when the fee is $65.  This is not meant to be a complete review, but it is one of the top, perhaps top 5, public courses in New England.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 07:14:21 PM »
Newport is one of my favorite public courses. A very open, natural layout. The one aspect of the course that I find disappointing is the bunkering—A real lack of inspiration in the look and feel of the sand hazards. I am also not a big fan of the square green. It seems jarringly out of place. Those are just minor criticism of an otherwise terrific course. (I'm also not fond of the price—one of the most expensive public course in New England before Lake of Isles opened up.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 09:04:59 PM by Dan_Callahan »

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 07:42:35 PM »
Dan...in state comparable to the Plymouth courses.   Out of state - ouch!

Tim Bert

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 08:53:58 PM »
There was another thread recently about humps in greens.  That square green on #8 has a rather large elephant buried in the front right corner of the green.  I remember hearing about the fact that it was square before I played it, and I almost walked off the green before realizing that it was the square one because it was so contoured.  I thought that stood out more than the squareness.

I thought the back to back par 3s worked okay on the course.  I didn't feel like they were exactly the same hole in opposite directions at all.  The distance isn't that different, but the wind usually dictates that they play different distances.  #3 is more of a table-top plateau green with bunkering around it, whereas #4 has the really big bunker on the left side and a bunch of trash to the left.

Here's a picture of #3...

And here's #4 ...

I also really like the back-to-back long par 4s on the front side, #6 and #7.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 09:04:39 PM »
For the sake of arguement, no they're not identical but the yardage basically is and both have bailouts to some exent to the right.  I think 3 is by far the better hole.  The pics are great in showing others the holes.  Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back