News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Most feared shot at Bandon Dunes resort
« on: September 04, 2005, 11:11:08 PM »
I was just reading the thread from a few years back called "best shot at Pacific Dunes" and it made me think of this topic.  What shot on each course at the resort strikes the most fear in your heart as you stand above it?  Feel free to offer one from each of the three courses that you've played.

Pacific Dunes - Most will probably not appreciate this, but mine is the first tee shot.  I have played this course 6 times and I can only recall once where I wasn't in terrible shape to start the round.  I've never felt really comfortable standing above this shot.  The yardage is short on the card, but it always seems to play longer than the number indicates, even from the green tees.  The first time I played the course, I clubbed down to a 6-iron, because I'm prone to hit an easy duck hook (I'm a lefty) off the first tee when I visit special courses.  I hit that 6-iron right into the huge sand dune on the right that shouldn't even come into play on the hole.  I've since hit a duffed 3-wood on the hole as well as a solidly struck 3-wood that carried too far and was lost in the thick stuff over the mounding in the fairway.  I love this course, but I never enjoy starting the round!

Bandon Dunes - Approach at #5.  Every time I've played the course, it has been directly into the summer wind.  This summer when I went the tees were well up compared to the last time I visisted, so that helped a bit, but that narrow neck leading to the long green makes me nervous without fail.  I think the pin has been in the back part of the green 3 of the 4 times I've played the course, and I can never get the ball far enough back there on the approach.

Bandon Trails - I've only played this one twice and it kicked my butt both times, so I've got plenty to choose from.  I'm going to take the tee shot on #2.  The hole looked a lot farther away than I expected.  My missed shot with a mid-iron tends to be a draw that hooks a little more than expected when I don't make solid contact.  I got to experience the shot missed right on this hole, and it will do nothing for my confidence when I return.  I also missed left, and that wasn't much better.  I've read that the place to miss this hole is short, but playing it for the first time it just doesn't look like there is that much room short of the green.

Sheep Ranch - For me it was the first tee shot.  We had no idea which 150 marker was to the green we were playing when we stepped up, and the distance was visually deceiving.  The landing area was extremely narrow when we played it, and I was dreading the number of lost balls I was facing until I realized there was a lot more room to land shots on the rest of the property.    

John Kirk

Re:Most feared shot at Bandon Dunes resort
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 11:57:22 PM »
I'll add here.  I live in Oregon and have played the courses about 25-20-2 times, no Sheep Ranch.   Hardest shots?

Tee shot on Pac Dunes #1 comes to mind.  At 370 yards into the prevailing wind, versus about 305 from the next box, a slice of any magnitude flies into the valley of lost souls, where a man expends thousands of calories, only to find his ball and take four shots extricating himself from the dune.  A 5 from the valley is to be treasured.

Tee shot on Bandon Dunes #16 is often scary.

Second shot on #4 Pacific Dunes almost always scary and rewarding no matter what the result.

Tee shots on #10, #11, #14, and #16 at Bandon Trails are freaking me out after two tries.

Tee shot on Bandon Dunes #3 can be very frightening, if the tees are back enough.

One more:  How about long and right on Pacific Dunes #6 after two shots?  Very annoying.

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 12:21:42 AM »
Tee shot on 5 killed me every day.  So did the par 3 15th.  Not the holes as much as the wind.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 01:13:55 AM »
Mine is off the bud tap one hop off the jug of the bar maid 3 hops out the door and knockng the sea gull off the bag of the guy practicing his puts without knowing he left a half eaten sandwich on top.

Andy Silis

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:57:52 AM »
2nd shot into Number 4 at Bandon Trails when playing into a 3 club wind. Blind and scary ( anything less than absolutely perfect will balloon ) with the feeling that there is nowhere to miss!!!

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 11:39:45 AM »
Pacific - Tee shot on #7.  I've yet to hit a good one there.  If I ever do, it will probably be the second at #7.

Bandon Dunes - Second shot on #5 or tee shot on #6 (especially before they cleaned up the right side a bit.)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »
I'm not sure if its a shot but certain holes that if you can get by you have a chance to make a good score.

Bandon Dunes I have a difficult time with #2 especially with a cross wind.

Pacific Dunes, if I can par #4 and the akward #16 than I'm in good shape.

Bandon Trails, if the pin is up front on the biarittz #5 its a really tough shot and then #14 is so awkward I pray not to make a big number.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 11:58:12 AM »
Tee shots:  1st at Pacific, 4th at Bandon Dunes, 16th at Trails.

Approach shots:  16th at Pacific, 5th at Bandon Dunes, 14th at Trails.

"Other" shots:  bunker shot on 9th lower green (over the gorse) at Pacific; left of 15th green at Bandon Dunes; recovery shots around 14th at Trails.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 01:02:23 PM »
OK, I'll bite on this one!

Tee shots:  15th at Bandon, 9th at Pac, when into the wind and the lower green, and 18 at Trails.

Approach shots: 5th at Bandon, in any wind and any cup location, 3rd green at Pac (I can feel my anxiety grow as I walk off the tee, the result of back to back nines some years ago!), and 14th green at the Trails, with a summer wind....played there two days ago, with a perfect three wood tee shot and 65 yards in to a rear cup, and managed a pulled skull long and left, a 5 on the card, and the start of 4 straight bogies and a resulting 81 instead of a pretty strong round.  Golf!!

the pres

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 01:10:13 PM »
The approach shot at #4 at Pac Dunes into the winter wind, the gaping finality of the Pacific Ocean just awaiting my left-handed overcooked draw, seemingly hungrily anticipating that I'll try to put just a little too much left-hand into the shot, and watching the ball disappear over the abyss and into infinity.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 01:10:57 PM by Mike Cirba »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »
Tim,

The answer depends on the direction and velocity of the wind.

Bandon Dunes

Drive and approach at # 5    
Drive on # 6                        
Drive and approach on # 17    

Pacific Dunes

Drive and approach # 4
Drive # 11
Drive and approach # 13.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 05:22:41 PM »
Ok A serious answer. Bandon Dunes Tee shot on 1, 5 and the bad 17th. Pacific Dunes Tee shot 1, 3rd shot on 4 and 2nd shot to up green on 9. I have not played Trails but cannot wait till next spring to play it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 05:23:03 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 10:01:05 PM »
I am really surprised that I've seen a couple of you agreeing with the 1st tee shot at Pacific.  Do those of you that agree with my pick play from the tips?  I can see that it would be brutal from back there.  I have only played the green tees, and that shot is still tough enough for me from there.

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 02:13:34 AM »
I kept reading the title and thinking that one of the YABB God status frequent posters to GCA.com (the 'most feared') had been injured (shot) whilst playing at Bandon Dunes. ::)

Phew, only my miscomprehension of the title.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »
Tee shot, Bandon Dunes, #16.  I've yet to hit a good one there - just doesn't sit well for me.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 01:34:58 PM »
Bandon Dunes - #11 Tee Shot from the tips into the wind...It's like trying to land a 747 on a one lane road...

Pacific Dunes - #4 Second Shot.

Alan Gard

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »
I have only played at Bandon in the summer, so I only have one wind direction on which to base my answer.  

At Bandon, my scores have proven that for me any shot on #5 is scary as I have completely butchered that hole every time I have played it.  I’ve suffered most severely with the left green-side dune where I’ve sent several balls (and I haven’t played the hole that many times) to their final resting place in the gorse.  It’s just a dastardly par 4…yet I still can’t wait to play it again.

At Bandon Trails, the holes that play straight into the wind are the ones I fear.  Basically, #16, #17, and #18 all were a struggle for me at the end of my two rounds.  #16 seems very tight off the tee, and into the wind it’s long enough that you need to get your tee shot out there.  The second shot is also difficult as again you need to hit it long and straight into the wind.  #17 is a green with no good place to miss, and into the wind it is no bargain.  #18 has a tricky tee shot with trouble on both sides; when we played it our match came down to that hole and a double bogey won, so our foursome has reason to fear it.

At Pacific, I’ve played out of the dune on the right enough to know to fear the tee shot on #1.  Though I wouldn’t say I “fear” it, the tee shot on #17 owns me (it’s like my daddy).  I’ve played it seven times now and the best I’ve done was a bogey in the dark, which means seeing the features of the hole only makes it worse for me.

David Kelly

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 12:11:47 AM »
Bandon Dunes  - the tee shot on 16th no matter which way the wind is blowing.  I have put myself in some horrible places there.

Bandon Trials  - The par 3 17th just doesn't set up that well for me and I don't think I hit an acceptable shot there on my entire first trip.

Pacific Dunes - without a doubt it is the third shot on 18. Twice I have been in the middle of the fairway needing a bogey to shoot a 79 and I have dead shanked a sand wedge on my third shot up into the hill on the left (I'm a lefty) to double the hole.  

Sheep Ranch - I have absolutely no fear of any shot when I am there as I am just happy to be there.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Bert

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 02:36:31 PM »
I thought Alan might appreciate a visual reminder of why he doesn't find the 1st tee shot at PD to be user-friendly.  Fortunately, he didn't get any pictures to prove I was over there!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back