News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Paul Daley's GAVIII
« on: August 16, 2005, 01:12:43 AM »
Just received Paul's GAV3  (Golf Architecture Vol.3) in the mail today.  Has the familiar look of others in the series, but the added bonus of pictorial essays to break up the more text laden chapters.

I have only had the opportunity for a quick browse and have yet to read even the forward (by Bill Coore) but would say that pictorially this is the best of the 3 books.

Look forward to assessing the literature contained over the next week or so.  

Well worth a look

Mark_F

Re:Paul Daley's GAVIII
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 06:25:45 AM »
Sean,

Agreed, easily the best picture wise, with the added bonus of some great paintings on Ballybunion, and some nice drawings, too.

Like you, I have had a quick read of the literature, and are few stand out.  

Wonder what sort of angry pills Mike Clayton was one when he penned his? :o

GregRamsay

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:20:41 AM »
Sean and Mark are on the money, i was licking my lips when i received my copy of Paul Daley's latest production, Golf Architecture: An International Perspective Volume III, and have not stopped drooling since i first flicked through, seeing the best golf course photography that Paul has put together yet.

Some standout contributions for me include Mike DeVries on rhythm & flow, Jeff Mingay on fairness, and the obscure story of discovering a very early routing of Royal Calcutta's 36hole layout (a hand drawn plan was found stuck in a book by a golfer trawling through a 2nd hand book shop).  The plan itself is published, and I expect the style of drawing, handwriting and routing of golf holes will generate much speculation on this site as to whether this is the work of 1 of the travelling architects (Alison, Colt or Mackenzie), or perhaps even a rare international foray by one of the early American architects (Macdonald, Tillinhast, or Ross).  Maybe Simpson ventured to the sub-continent, or did Alex Russell follow an early cricket tour and lay a few courses out along the way!  To me the artistry looks most reminiscent of Cargie Rymill.

You can check out this production, and also take a peak at some features and contributions to other volumes at www.fullswinggolf.com.au/index_general.asp?menuid=070.070

Greg Ramsay
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:24:24 AM by GregRamsay »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 01:02:26 PM »
I'm one lucky duffer!!! :o  A signed/inscribed by Paul Daley copy of "Golf Architecture - A World Wide Perspective" came in the mail today!  It is a feast for the eye, and upon my first two readings, a series of insightful writings by guest essayists to ponder their observtions often.  

In deed, Paul has presented numerous essays on specific courses and topics by a cross section of golf architecture afficianados and experts in associated fields, a number of whom I feel deeply honored to have had the pleasure of meeting and sharing our great golf cameraderie.  The offerings in the book make me greatly anticipate the prospects of getting to meet more of these keepers of the game and their courses.

Me thinks Paul occupies one lofty branch of that Daley family tree.  :) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 05:28:44 PM »
Is this book actually out yet?  I don't see any mention on Barnes and Noble's website.

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »
I believe it came out on Monday.  Don't hold your breath waiting for it to appear on Amazon or Barnes and Noble - from memory Paul hasn't used them for his last two books.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »
I thought I recalled getting his previous books (and seeing them in stock) at Barnes & Noble.  I could be mistaken.

C

Tom Dunne

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:27 PM »
Has Paul been on the board lately? I've been trying to get in touch with him. In the meantime, here's hoping my copy of GAV3 touches down soon!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 11:04:48 PM by Tom Dunne »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 11:15:08 PM »
Just received a brief note from PD today.... he's seems excited, but very busy..... My copies of GAV-3 were shipped today and will arrive in W-S in 5-7 days. Hope this helps.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 11:33:23 PM »
St Andrews Beach, Australia                Tom Doak
Friar’s Head, USA                               John Morrissett
Sutton Bay Club, USA                        Graham Marsh
Becoming a golf-course designer          Mike Nuzzo
The rhythm and flow of a golf course    Mike DeVries
The UK Heathlands                            Paul Turner
Trends that revert to traditional values  Rick Robbins

PICURE ESSAY: THE ABACO CLUB ON WINDING BAY

Royal Melb at Sandringham 1901-1905  Dr John Green
Royal Melb at Sandringham 1905-1930  Dr John Green
Creating old-fashioned character          Mark Thawley
Armed with visual challenges                Dunlop White 111
Blackhawk, Canada                            Andrew Penner

PICTURE ESSAY: ISLE OF HARRIS GOLF CLUB, SCOTLAND

Cart-path design                              Jeffrey B Brauer
Barnbougle Dunes Golf Links, Australia    Paul Daley
A prolegomenon to future architecture  Dr Thomas Climo
Hamburger Golf Club, Falkenstein          Tony Ristola
Meditations on the putting surface        David Wilber
Developing a master plan      Paul Richards and Tom. E. Paul  
Preserving the world’s great courses    Jeff Mingay
Environmental golf corridor                  Gregory Wright
Painswick Golf Club, England                Robin Hiseman
Visuals in the golfscape               Tony Cashmore
I love the seventies                 Brian Curley
Tees                                   Gary Panks
An Indian perspective        Phil Ryan

PICTURE ESSAY: SAND HILLS, USA

How soft are today’s golfers?     Michael Clayton
Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand            Mark Guiniven
St Andrews Bay, Scotland        Scott Macpherson
The evolution of the green complex     Arthur Hills
There is a cancer on golf        Ronald Fream
A Melbourne sandbelt masterpiece: Victoria GC John Lindsay
The Ballybunion experience        Tim Weiman
James Peter Gannon: ‘Peter the Great’  Christoph Meister
St George’s bunker restoration, Canada Ian Andrew  
Bunkering the dogleg                          Neil Crafter
The Sands, Torquay         Fiona Langford

PICTURE ESSAY: GREEN COMPLEXES (Tony Ristola)            
Mission Hills, China                             Harley Kruse  
The case for renovation                    Howard Swan
The Ridge at Back Brook, USA     Pamela A. Moore
The caddie from Carnoustie        Andrew Coogan
Is golf meant to be fair?          Jeremy Glenn
The perfect links?           Brett Morrissy
The revival of Ratho, Australia      Greg Ramsay
The natural course                  Michael Gitsham

PICTURE ESSAY: WOODHALL SPA, ENGLAND

The Dunk Island upgrade        Scott Dowdle
Building a USGA putting green at home Rob Crompton
Wild Horse Golf Club, USA                 Brad Swanson  
Golf-course accessories                    Dunlop White 111

PICTURE ESSAY: BANDON TRAILS, USA

Sean Walsh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 01:42:53 AM »
Spoke to Paul recently and I doubt he has been on the board much of late.  Due to some delays with GAVIII the release of this book has coincided with a heavy workload on another (as yet to be announced - I think) project.  

So he is very busy right at the moment.  Look for the release of his other project around the time of the Australian Open (Nov 05).

I'm sure if you drop him an email or contact him through the website he will be very prompt in sending off however many copies of the book you order.

As many of you will notice many of the contributions are made by names well known here.  Congrats all associated.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 02:05:20 AM »
I thought I recalled getting his previous books (and seeing them in stock) at Barnes & Noble.  I could be mistaken.

C
Carlyle,

Paul loses money everytime people like the above or Amazon manage to sell their books at cut throat prices.

Paul works very hard at publishing books in a very small market.  Everyone who wishes to support his efforts and his books should buy direct from him.  This is the best way to support a guy who is producing quality material in a tough business.

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 10:05:17 AM »
Not only is Paul a fine compiler of great golf books... the man can is an expert packer!  It took my wife and I about 5 minutes of carefully sniping and unwrapping go get to the book.  And the bubble wrap has been fun to play with in between readings of the essays.

In all seriousness, I will be contacting Paul over his website to order a few for Christmas presents.  GA VIII is a perfect gift for one of those folks around your club that you play with but they don't "get it" and you have been trying to inspire them about great golf architecture.  Every club library ought to have one too.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 10:55:19 AM »
What is the world coming to? To courses featured in this book are from Nebraska? How can that be? Is Paul falling in love with the West Coast Offense as well.

I must buy this book, somebody tell me how to do it.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 11:04:25 AM »
Tony,

Go directly to Paul's web site at www.fullswinggolf.com.au

You can buy the book there, avoiding the middle man!
jeffmingay.com

Paul_Daley

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 12:09:46 PM »
Sean W:
Mate, you're really getting into this golf-course architecture caper! I recall a green young lad just three years ago sipping cappuchino's asking about me about courses you could now recite in your sleep. I do believe you are hooked! Better inform Rachel.

Mark F:
I'm glad you mentioned the Ballybunion paintings, they were done by one of the town's favourite sons, Kevin Frost, who also happens to be Tim Weiman's great Irish buddy and golfing companion when TW travels across the pond. A style all his own, Kevin has reduced emphasis away from the traditional shades of green and brown, instead using more purple, blue and other combos. The richness really jumps out, as does Tim's essay, for he conveys a long-standing love of the Ballybunion golf experience and its people. His combination of architecture and the human element makes it a super essay.

Greg R:
G'day Young Turk, trusting that Barnbougle Dunes is firing and attracting golfers to the links. Can't wait for my next round over its crumpled linksland.    
Knowing it was the last volume in the series, I was keen to gain access to the best photography. The Picture Credits reads like a Who's Who: Dick Durrance; David Scaletti; Kimbal Baker; Larry Lambrecht; Russell Kirk; Woody Sabold; Richard Castka; Ron Crawley; JoAnne Dost; Gary Lisbon; Gerard Warrener; Evan Schiller; to name some. Outside of Tasmania, perhaps not too many have heard of Jeff Jennings and Greg Willson, but that will change when golfers clap eyes upon their work at Barnbougle Dunes. Stunning job!
Terrific work with your Ratho Golf Links essay, and the story of its revival. I like its link to the Scottish heritage. People will enjoy reading about the 363rd generation of greenkeepers - the sheep, and their role in course maintenance. The piece also works as a history lesson!
You've mentioned two great essays by Mike DeVries and Jeff Mingay - excellent and valued contributors over the course
of the three-volume series. MDV outlines many of the key elements that lead to the rythym and flow of a golf course.
Jeff Mingay has penned "Preserving the World's Great Golf Courses" and he highlights the divesity of the world's best courses, and the growing trend toward uniformity. He pinpoints how Alister Mackenzie and Donald Ross changed their bunker styles in accord with the inherant site characteristics. And good info on Pete Dye courses, too.    

Cousin Dick:
Thank you for donating a great image of Wild Horse in GAV-3; I wish the course was just down the road, what with it's burnt toast rough flapping in the breeze and super looking Bunker Hill Design-greens.
Sorry about you and Mrs D requiring a crowbar to prise open the parcel. Six years ago, I recall sending out my first copy of Links Golf, and, back then, I could hardly tie my shoe laces. A couple of sticky adhesions, and I thought I'd done the deed. Well ... if I didn't get the rudest letter back from one irate purchaser saying it was the sloppiest slapdash job he'd ever seen. Perhaps, I've gone too much the other way.

Brian P:
You put that well about Amazon. It is one of those win-loss situations. As buyers, we all want a bargain. But as a publisher, it kills one's business to have too many sales via Amazon. The only way it is sustainable if one prints 20,000 plus copies. Teeny 4,000 niche works can sink on this scenario.

Chris K: Yep, spot-on. Pelican Publishing in Gretna, Louisiana, has declined my offer to publish GAV-3, and so it will not be with Barnes and Noble. Trust that handicap of your is still tumbling.

Carlyle R:
Thanks for your interest; the book is out, but not in the States. I know someone who can supply directly! ;)

Thomas D:
Nice going with your text that accompanied Wood Sabold's incredible imagery of Bandon Trails. Your copy went several days ago, so it won't be long. You'll enjoy reading the book's Acknowledgements.  

Dunlop W 111:
Your two essays in Golf Archie Vol. three are well-written, provocative and instructive. "Armed with visual challenges" presents several viable alternatives to the mundane approach of merely adding length to a course. Instead, bringing in optical illusions, depth perception issues, constant contrasts, backdrop (of greens) variety, and visual ambuguity, all make for good reading. I also think clubs will find "Golf Course Accessories" worthwhile, as you urge them to throw out the artificial, yet incorporate what is natural habitat, such as the Iron horseshoe (tee markers) at Wild Horse, along with utilising cattle skulls as 150-yard markers. And other beaut examples, too. Also, thanks for posting the Contents. That version was a little out of date; indeed two of the contributors didn't get a gurnsey, through no fault of their own.

GregRamsay

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 08:07:22 PM »
Paul, does this mean you can now supply Barnes&Noble direct?  Perhaps if you write to them, and they go look up last year's sales, they would be interested in dealing direct with you.  Even if they are only marginally interested, at least with no middle man, you'll both do better out of the deal.

Greg

Paul_Daley

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 11:29:54 PM »
Greg: you pose the logical question about supplying Barnes and Noble directly. I'm more than happy to do this but in the past there has been strict guidelines about dealing via US publishers. I believe they call it protectionism, and it occurs in many industries. Nevertheless, I'll be sending B & N an email to test the current waters. Thanks for the reminder.  

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 11:41:33 PM »
I got my copies recently.
It is an excellent book.
Easily my favorite, and not just because I'm a contributor.   ;D
and not just when compared to his other books, but the universe of architecture tomes.
I'll be looking forward to reading many more essays on my pending travels.
Cheers

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »
Thanks so much for the heads up and the link. Just ordered a bunch of books Paul. Keep up the good work!

Paul_Daley

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 05:59:49 PM »
Mike N:

Great to read your initial, positive reaction to GAV-3. Thank you again for your excellent contribution - a personal account of your background in NASA, how you got started in the golf-course architecture business, and your association with Finger, Dye, Spann. A bloody good read, if you'll excuse the "french".  

My book designer and I got the biggest surprise, as it became apparent the high-resolution version of your photograph (beavering away at an architectural rendering), made clear the series of Full Swing Golf publications on your bench. Our eyes popped! As "Mr-69" ... participating in the leather-bound Limited Edition 'lockout', we appreciated the gesture. A small world: since you requested No. 69/100 of all six golf titles, several other golfers have requested that most sexy number, only to be mildly peeved upon hearing it has been grabbed.  ;)

Jeff L:
Fantastic order, thanks champ! Bound for 57th Street, NY NY, the old postie must get giddy droppping into all those congested streets. I've grown up seeing them in TV flicks; must try and experience them for real one day. Best wishes.

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 08:53:57 AM »
Paul,

Congratulations on another great contribution to literature on golf course architecture!  It is an honor to be included in such fine work and I certainly look forward to reading all the other contributions.

Keep up the good work!

Mike

Paul_Daley

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 09:55:55 AM »
MDV: Thank you. Like 'tight-fitting' Barry Gibb penned
for Barbara Streisand some 20 years ago - it ought to be illegal ... [to be having this much fun]. I count myself as extremely fortunate to be working with the talent pool
that exits in golf archie land.

Your essay on "Rhythm and flow of a golf course" is strong, and it was instructive how you weaved in examples found at  Prestwick, Western Gailes, Crystal Downs, The Valley Club, Royal Dornoch, and other courses, to help reinforce the assertions you made.

One MDV passage was sublimely simple: "Keep the long holes long, and the short holes short!"  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back