News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

The Pleasures of Painswick!
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:31:05 PM »
After playing Pennard, we headed back into the Cotswolds for a visit to the birthplace of quirk, lovely little Painswick, the 4800 yard par 67 hilly little rascal set in the steep hills which surround an Iron Age fort and quarry.  I had a great time there in May 2004 while participating in the GCA Ryder Cup event, and wanted to show Kathleen what it was all about.  We had a great couple of nights and a fun day at Painswick, with an opportunity to drink a couple of pints with a few members on the terrace a highlight.

The GCA event is well remembered and highly regarded at Painswick.  Here's the Dali-esque clock which our captain, Rich Goodale, sent to Painswick after the match, and which now hangs proudly in the clubhouse.

The first hole looks really easy on the scorecard.  227 yard par 4.  What the scorecard doesn't show, however, is that the greenskeeper has to mow the first fairway at first cut length, or else tee shots would roll back to your feet, the fairway is that steeply uphill!  It is routine to stop for a blow half way up.  The pitch shot approach must clear this grassy bunker area, typical of Painswick which has no sand bunkers.

This is the third hole, a par 4 of 285 yards.  The temptation from this elevated tee is, of course, to grip and rip a manly drive onto the green.  Bad plan unless perfectly executed; the fairway slopes sharply into those trees on the left, almost guaranteeing a lost ball.  The guys in the background are on the 13th tee.  Painswick is on probably the smallest piece of land of any 18-hole layout larger than mini-golf; almost every hole shares a fairway with an incoming hole.  The incoming groups have the right of way.  Both groups have to yield to the ever-present hikers.  Painswick is on “common land,” so hikers, picnickers and dogwalkers get the right of way over everybody else!

Here's a closer view of the third green, which clearly shows how steep the fairway is and how sharply the left side of this tiny green falls away.  Painswick requires a lot of patience and a lot of very creative short game shots to score well in spite of the obvious short yardage.

This is the world-class par 3 sixth, listed as one of the UK's best holes in many collections, and so named by Henry Longhurst.  The natural features of this hole could not have been better designed by the leading architects to repel tee shots away from this 206 yard hole.  The locals say it's possible to hit a high draw to the right and catch a slope down onto the green.  Most of us tried to fade a shot around that knob in front.  Very few were successful with any type of attempt.

Here's the unusual 12th hole, a straight downhill par 3 of 250 yards.  The fairway is so steep the best play is a mid iron which lands short of the road and slightly right of center so as to roll down the hill and onto the surface.  I can only imagine the results of a successful attempt to carry a wood onto that green!

#16 is a downhill par 4, only 299 yards, that plays over this abandoned quarry.  The green is a narrow shelf benched into the falling away slope, so pitch shots into the green must again be played well short of the green.  Pitch shots onto the green invariably went over the back.  The only successful pitches were played from the left side, into the flatter angle of the green.

The home hole at Painswick is a short par 3, only 140 yards, but causes a lot of aggravation.  The green falls away to the right very sharply.  The large tree on the left does a lot of business.  And the folks who just finished playing are sitting on the terrace of the clubhouse you can barely make out behind the tree, usually trying to bother the players teeing off on #18 by yelling and jeering.  Luckily this tactic was not practiced during the GCA Ryder Cup, we might not have won the match!

There's the terrace in the distance!

The scene of the crime, and the criminals!  

The afficiando of quirky golf will feel right at home at Painswick!  It's not to everyone's taste, but it shouldn't be missed if you are even remotely in the vicinity.

Next stop, Dr. MacKenzie's home course, the all-world Allwoodley!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:09:08 PM by Bill_McBride »

John_Conley

Re:The Pleasures of Painswick!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »
Are you over in the UK again?!  Good for you.

Mark_Guiniven

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 06:46:12 AM »
The photos aren't coming up for me Bill. Are you sure Yahoo allows remote loading of images from their servers?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 08:43:56 AM »
Bill,

The pics aren't coming up where I am either, or on the Pennard thread.  I'd love to see them...I'm a sucker for pics!!

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 03:25:40 PM »
They're working for me.

I never tire of:

a) photos of Painswick

and

b) seeing the big smiles on the faces of golfers at these gatherings.

Re: Yahoo, I tried hosting photos on there before and I think they had problems with bandwidth restrictions.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

peter_p

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 03:27:30 PM »
Bill,
Glad you had a good time. Picture problem has been solved.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
Fantastic stuff - glad you got things to work, Bill.

Care to ID the chaps in the pic?

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:29:17 PM »
The guys in the photo are just some of the regular blokes at Painswick playing on a Friday.  None played in the GCA Ryder Cup, but all knew about the event last year and were extremely hospitable.  I'm sure this was because my wife was along!  But they are a warm and friendly group, rather puckish, I imagine it comes from playing your regular golf at a place like Painswick.

Did I mention that Painswick sets the bar for quirk?

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
Oh I think that has been mentioned.

;)

But your pics most definitely bear this out.  I didn't realize until these how TINY the greens are.  That helps explain things a lot more than previous attempts.

I played a course like this recently - hilly, tight to bejesus, miniscule greens... it does make things difficult.  Man this place is to par three courses what Painswick is to longer courses... it's in Fairmont Hot Springs, BC, Canada... darn it I forget the name... it's right by the Hoodoos... if anyone else can get the name before I do, there shall be a prize... it's someone's name with an apostrophe...

But you want quirk?  I can't imagine Painswick having anything on this place.  There's actually a pool going, put on by the course... it's for the next even-par round.  Put in a buck, if you do it, with trustable witnesses, you win the pot... which was up to app. $1500 Cdn. when I was there.  Nope, I didn't scare it.  Played great and shot +4.

peter_p

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 09:37:33 PM »
Huck,
Fairmont has the Mountainside, Riverside and the par 3 Creekside. Geary's?

Bill,
That was a great itinerary for golf. I enjoyed them all, but it took me four trans-Atlantic trips to see them.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 09:48:03 PM »
Peter, Kathleen is still miffed, she's doesn't understand how we could log 1000 miles on the rental car in two weeks while staying put in St Andrews for five days!

peter_p

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 09:56:59 PM »
Perspective. You can do near the same mileage in the Portland, Bandon, Bend triangle. 1000 is low on a golf trip.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:46 PM »
Yes but the UK is smaller than New Jersey, I think.

peter_p

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 10:10:57 PM »
London to St Andrews is 460 miles.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:23:32 PM »
We did Gatwick-Swansea (Pennard)-Leeds via Cotswolds-North Berwick via A1-St Andrews-Glasgow.  1000 miles.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 11:24:16 PM »
Bill, thanks for the wonderful memories of my last matches as a wee man. lol I really loved seeing those holes again.

Paul_Daley

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 01:11:48 AM »
Bill: Nice going! It seems GCA devotees never tire of Painswick threads.  

UK architect, Robin Hiseman, has done a fantastic 8-page review of Painswick in "Golf Archie" - Vol. three. His evocative prose and images of this course (captured on saucy 35mm transparency format) do him, and this quirky course, great justice.

The 368-page beast (GAV-3) is out on Monday.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 08:41:57 AM »
Bill or Rich, just curious as to the what the inscription reads on the bottom of the clock. What a unique and thoughtful gift!!

This certainly looks like a venue not to be missed. Maybe one day. . . .  Thanks, Rob

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 09:08:56 AM »
Thanks, Rob

The inscription reads:

"Presented to the members of Painswsick Golf Club by the 20 members of www.golfclubatlas.com who played our “Ryder Cup” at P.G.C.13-15 May 2004.

May this clock evoke from you as deep and fond memories of those 3 days as it does for us.  The hospitality, generosity and friendship you showed us was staggering and will never be forgotten.  Nor will we fail to remember the surreal and haunting beauty of your golf course.

May each tick of the clock bring us closer to meeting again."

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 10:23:29 AM »
I too had wondered what the inscription on the clock said.  It is no surprise how wonderfully well-written it is; nor is the class shown by it's being given any surprise either.

Well done, Mr. Goodale.  You get the full honorifics today. I'd add suffixes, but I'm sure you actually have some and I didn't want to guess!

Peter P. - yes, those are the three courses at FHS resort and we played the par 3 Creekside there twice... fun family golf... but the one that's similar in routing to Rich's clock is not "Geary's".  Damn it's killing me.. and I can't find it anywhere on the internet.  It's right down the road from FHS, just past the hoodoos...

TH
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:24:44 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 10:56:54 PM »
Great clock.  Fits the course to a tee.  

Bill, That's cool you went back!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 11:30:28 PM »
Couldn't resist, Paul.  By the way, my poorly struck tee ball on #8 did find the Coffin, but there was nobody there but my wife to take up the cry, "He's in the coffin."  But she of course chimed in.

Painswick remains one of the genuinely fun places to play golf in the world!

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 05:04:12 PM »
Bill,
   Thanks for bumping that back up. I hadn't seen the picture of the course the last time around. I love that last line of the inscription.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back