News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

Great old Pasatiempo photos
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »
While planning my trip to California, I was checking out Pasa's new website. They have some cool old photos from the 1930s.

http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/slideshows/flash/hist1/hist1.php

The obvious thing that jumps out is the lack of trees and the sense of spaciousness on a course that is now claustrophobic in spots. Additionally, the elevation and contour really comes through in these old B&W pictures.

Especially cool is the shot the barranca crossing on 11 without any trees to obscure the view.

Also check out Marion Hollin's perfect backswing on #9.

Finally, as Ran mentions in the Pasa profile, you can really see the wild and sandy nature of the barranca on 18.

Enjoy,

TimT

Kevin_Reilly

Re:Great old Pasatiempo photos
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:57:51 PM »
Thanks...I think this slideshow was posted last year...just as fun to look at again.  The picture of #11 is fantastic.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 03:59:33 PM »
Wow!  If ever there was a course that could stand to lose some trees, this is it.   Especially around holes 6-8

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:34:12 PM »
A very different angle for the 17th green and perhaps it gives some clues as to how 8 Putt Shivas can be so named ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 04:35:24 PM »
Need some help here -- I'm trying to figure out the picture of the 17th hole in the historical photo section.  Unless this is behind the green looking at the 18th green, I have no idea what this is a photo of.   Pretty dramatic terrain but doesn't look like #17.

Poster child course for tree cutting on almost every hole.  Still my favorite back nine in golf.  Tom Doak did a great job restoring those bunkers on #10, identical replication.

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 04:42:21 PM »
The photo of 17 is taken from the left of the green, high up on the hill overlooking 17, 10th tee and down the 9th fairway.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »
El Lupo Solo:

That's kinda what I figured as well.. but then what's with the barranca to the right and short of 17 green (as it's played)?  That's sure as hell not there today....

Ace:

Careful with these praises ("Tom Doak did a great job restoring those bunkers on #10, identical replication.")  I said the same thing right after the re-done hole opened, and got rather a new ass torn for such.  We'll see how you fare.

;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 05:47:17 PM »
El Lupo Solo:

That's kinda what I figured as well.. but then what's with the barranca to the right and short of 17 green (as it's played)?  That's sure as hell not there today....

That barranca is pin-high to the right of the current green ... go to the photo of #18, looking from behind the green to the tee and it is a better, and more scary view of the barranca.  In fact, if 8 Putt Shivas had played the green back then, his score probably would have been higher as no doubt he would have putted it off the green into said barranca.

Ps:  Some of us locals are planning an outing at Pasa during the week of Aug 1-4 if anyone is interested.

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 05:51:19 PM »
Gotcha.  It just seems less prominent, less in play these days, being that it's way down the hill by the 18th tee.

As for 8/1-4, well some of us do work for a living.  Or at least will be then.

;)

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 06:03:31 PM »
One word comes to mind when looking at those pictures of Pasatiempo. Napalm.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 06:05:37 PM »

;)

I will miss Tom as he will likely be struck by lightning any moment now. ::)

Mike
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 06:05:52 PM by Bogey_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Rob_Babcock

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 06:54:49 PM »
...It just seems less prominent, less in play these days...

This photo of #17 shows how far back the original green went, which explains why the barranca below seems to extend so far to the right. Next time you're on the 17th green, walk to the back and pretty much that entire area (now grass with a tree at the very back) used to be part of the green. There are a number of us that would like to see this restored and trees removed to re-open the view. What a great hole placement that would be too. Mr. Doak and crew will be in town in early July to oversee the restoration of the 11th green complex and I'm sure this will be one topic of discussion.

Rob (Pasatiempo member and web guy)

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 07:26:02 PM »

;)

I will miss Tom as he will likely be struck by lightning any moment now. ::)

Mike

Sir Chunk-aby carries a 1-iron so I think the lightning strike will miss him ...

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 08:54:26 PM »

Mr. Doak and crew will be in town in early July to oversee the restoration of the 11th green complex and I'm sure this will be one topic of discussion.

Rob (Pasatiempo member and web guy)

I thought the 11th green was being softened.  That's not a restoration.  It's giving in to all too fast green speeds by altering Alister MacKenzie's greens.  Look back in the archives (search for pasatiempo #11) and you will see a discussion of this with Mr Doak.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:54:55 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 11:29:09 PM »
Have to agree with Geoff - #11 should be left as is, with green cut to 8 stimp.   :P   Whoops, that's probably not going to happen...

Can't wait to get back to Pasa, as I have absolutely zero recall of the barranca behind and right of #17.  If it were in play.. wow!

Huck, how could anyone disagree with the great work done on #10?   ::) :P

johnk

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 01:30:39 AM »
While fewer trees would be better, you have to realize that since the 90's, a large number of trees have been removed and trimmed, and a many of the trees you see do not impact play.

I can see why #1/#9 and #6,7,8 have trees on the sides - without them, people would get killed by golf balls fairly often.  I think I've heard a story that someone once did near #8.

Simply put, the impact of the trees has been minimized, while retaining most of the protection from balls flying across fairways.  

Specifically, the Doak tuning from the late 90's to present day has mitigated the impact of the trees on the strategy.  Sure you can argue that you like the looks better without the trees, but you could say the same thing about the lack of houses.  The strategy, however isn't too far off, I don't think.

I would like to know why the bunkers on 15 and 16 look so different...

ForkaB

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 03:03:10 AM »
Huck, how could anyone disagree with the great work done on #10?   ::) :P

Bill

Nobody ever said that Tom Doak did not do a great job of restoring MacKenzie's bunkers on #10.  Some of us just questioned why MacKenzie put them there and in that form in the first place. ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 06:12:31 AM »
I don't know about the restored bunker at #10, but I agree with #11. There are only a finite number of original MacKenzie greens remaining...now there will one fewer. And invariably the most interesting greens are the ones to be altered. I believe Doak also softened a green or two at SFGC as well. The desire for speed had been destructive for classic architecture and in particular interesting greens.

ForkaB

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 06:33:57 AM »
Tom

Well said, and I agree.

11 is (was?) goofy at today's green speeds, but that's no reason to emasculate it.  Keep it and cut it higher, as Bill McB implies.  What's the problem with that?

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 10:39:20 AM »
Goodale's selective memory strikes again....

What actually occurred is that you did question me big time about Doak's skill in restoring it back to what MacKenzie had.. only when proof was given (in the form of this old pic) did you let me off the hook, and CHANGE your complaint to "well they sucked to begin with anyway."

So as happens oh so frequently, you're a Picasso of painting yourself in the best possible light.

;D ;D ;D

In any case, I also voiced the same concerns Tom MacWood does here years ago, re all the greens, not just 11 - although 11 was the poster child for speed stupidity.  Yes several greens allow for infinite putting, or alternatively all the great pin placements go unused... but the answer is surely to slow them down rather than soften them....

That's why re announcement of the re-do of 11 was a sad day then, and it remains sad now.  Oh, we can trust Doak to do the best job possible, that's for sure... But the fact they feel they have to do this at all is just plain sad.

Rob B - thanks for the clarification re 17.

Tim T - send me an email or IM... I might be talked into playing that day... especially if you can get an early time... such are usually reserved for members.

TH
t.huckaby@sbcglobal.net

ForkaB

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
Goodale's selective memory strikes again....

Wrong again, Tom, but live in your fantasy world as long as you so wish.  I'm sure that to you it is more fun than reality.... ;)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »
After:

1.  Seeing the "new" driving range,
2.  Noting the loss of the original tees at 1 and 2,
3.  Observing the trees lining 1, 6 and 7, and those elsewhere,
4.  Throwing up,

What would MacKenzie do to the 17th green?

Mike

P. S.  I suggest they take down every tree and issue a liability insurance policy with each green fee a la  North Berwick's West Links.

ForkaB

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
Right on, Bogeyman!

In the old pics, it looked like a proper golf course (excluding, of course, that chastly cunker to hte left of 10... ;)), and not only that a California golf course.  Now it's a North Carolina wannabe, without the expansiveness.

Fun to play, but top 100 anything--no chance!  If it had been done by McGonigal rather than MacKenzie it would be no more visible on our GCA purists radar than Old Del Monte.

Nate Mady

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
DOWN WITH THE PLANTED REDWOODS!!

Would Pasa every have the balls?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »
Nate,

How many people could hug one of those big rascals?

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back