News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Birdie Kim Indeed
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »
Well holed!
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brad Tufts

Re:Birdie Kim Indeed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »
...And the same for Padraig...his shot might even have been longer!!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 06:39:44 PM »
Incredible-   when was the last time that 2 shots like that won tounaments literally within minutes of eachother! What heartbreakers for Pressel and Furyk. But it sure made for good watching.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 06:47:15 PM »
That was a pretty amazing 20 minutes of golf. After Kim holed her bunker shot, I figured Harrington would be fortunate to 2-putt from where he was. It was almost as remarkable to see Furyk run in his 15-footer for birdie, even though it meant nothing. These guys (and some of the gals) really are good!!!  

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 08:22:45 PM »
maybe/probably? the greatest shot in WOmen's Open history -- and maybe all Open history

Payne Stewart's putt is the longest holed on the last green to win a men's open, I believe
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 09:27:52 PM »
The shot by Kim was unbelievable!  Clearly a lot of luck involved but to go in at that time on that hole was just amazing.  

tonyt

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
And right after the broadcasters speak of something like a 6/27 sand stat for her!!

It was wrenching to watch Morgan hang so well like that through the back nine to put herself there only to see her crumble when she realised it was gone. And then after Kay finished with Birdie behind #18, watching her go into the hut and just sob like that was a great moment. Heck, she played some solid and smart golf down the stretch.

We were lucky here in Oz. We got to see Westchester finish and then they started the Open telecast on the middle of the front nine. So I stayed away from the computer.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:05:57 PM »
the Women's Open seems to produce great drama quite often...

last years Mallon-Annika duel, the one a few years ago when Inky won at P Dunes, the Lunke win, etc....

I still remember when another unknown -- I can't even remember her name :-[, I don't think she did much/anything after it -- when she held off Lopez at Pumpkin Ridge

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 10:08:21 PM »
and I want to modify my first post on this thread:  Tom Watson's pitch-in at Pebble is the greatest Open shot ever...and maybe the greatest shot ever, considering the course, fact that Jack would have won his record fifth, fact that it really WON the championship, the rivalry between the two, etc....

rboyce

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 10:08:58 PM »
i was very impressed with Pressell. she hit at least 3-4 approaches on the back nine that were right at the flag that were 1/2 club long or short. she made some great putts and just played great all around. I'm not sure how she shot 75 to be honest. i enjoyed watching the show. Birdie played great too and deserved the win.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 11:19:10 PM »
Double Bogey Hendren? ? ? ? ;)

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 01:32:23 AM »
Those shots were excellent.  But, as far as the most significant "back-to-back" shots--when considering their magnitude and relevancy--I'd have to go with Tway's bunker shot and Mize's pitch in to win consecutive major championships (1986 PGA, 1987 Masters).  Wow.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 07:38:08 AM »
And one girl cried wie wie wie all the way home. (John Connelley, I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing that.)  She was so shell-shocked she couldn't even put a whole sentence together afterwards in the on-air interview that I saw, poor girl.

Yeah, that Kim girl needs to work on her English.

Oh wait, you were talking about Michelle Wie. Yep, she acts like shooting 82 in a national championship on worldwide television is some kind of big deal. Maybe she just needs to lower her expectations or better yet get some of that Tiger Woods coaching to learn how to put on a poker face and recite the mantra "I'm close" every time she is interviewed.

Michelle Wie and Retief Goosen. What a couple of losers. They ought to just quit the game and quite embarrassing themselves like that. If you can't break 80 on Sunday you're a total hack.  ::) ::) ::)

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »
good one Redanman!

I hope Michelle is happy with how things are progressing..i.e., that she isn't get pushed too much by the media or her parents...had to have her burn out and not see her potential come to fruition

one sign she's still a kid, thank goodness:  I think I read she really likes to shop!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 09:47:40 AM »
Double Bogey Hendren? ? ? ? ;)

Tommy,

I forgot you have seen me play!

Did scrape it around in 79 over the week, however, w/o a single double.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
i was very impressed with Pressell. she hit at least 3-4 approaches on the back nine that were right at the flag that were 1/2 club long or short. she made some great putts and just played great all around. I'm not sure how she shot 75 to be honest. i enjoyed watching the show. Birdie played great too and deserved the win.

I was trememdously impressed with Morgan Pressel -- her overall game, her ability to recover from some missed chips or misread putts around the greens, and generally with her demeanor and the way she carried herself (she walks like a general on parade -- love it!). I tried to imagine how I would have handled network TV coverage and interviews when I was her age and it would not have been pretty.

I still think she got robbed by a very fortunate skulled bunker shot by Kim, but that's golf.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 06:57:21 PM »
Well, if the bunker shot had stayed out of the hole Kim would still have shot two strokes better than Pressel. With or without the lucky shot, Kim shot the best round of anyone in contention on Sunday.

Also, everyone seems to assume that Morgan Pressel would have made par on eighteen. That was far from a sure thing given the setup.

Birdie Kim beat the field straight up, Morgan Pressel included. Luck had no more to do with it than it does in any other closely contested tournament.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 07:26:48 PM »
Greg,
Trust me, the shot was not skulled.  She just didn't hit it as high as some of the others.  If you hit that shot the least bit thin, you are playing it again in the bunker as that shot needs to be hit 10 feet in the air just to get out.  It was lucky to go in but was better played than Miller gave her credit for.  
Mark

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 07:39:21 PM »
Well, if the bunker shot had stayed out of the hole Kim would still have shot two strokes better than Pressel. With or without the lucky shot, Kim shot the best round of anyone in contention on Sunday.

Also, everyone seems to assume that Morgan Pressel would have made par on eighteen. That was far from a sure thing given the setup.

Given they were tied coming to 18, if the bunker shot had not gone in we have no idea whether she would have made a longish par putt coming back. Similarly, if the shot hadn't gone in we have no idea how Pressel would have played the hole nor what her score would have been.

As I said, that's golf, but I still feel badly for Morgan Pressel.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 03:16:52 PM »
...and what is it with all these 15-17 year olds and the short skirts and all. Anyone would think they wanted people (men) to watch ladies golf or something!!!

FBD

PS But give me Dottie P in her early 90s period. "Oh, Dottie - punish me hard...!"

PPS sorry for bringing the tone of this fine establishment down again. I'll be in the den thrashing myself within an inch of my life with a 5-iron.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2005, 03:21:15 PM »
PS But give me Dottie P in her early 90s period. "Oh, Dottie - punish me hard...!"

Martin,

You're a sick, twisted, deviant man.   :o

pssstt...where does one line up for appropriate punishment from "Naughty Dottie", circa early 90s?   ;D

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2005, 06:07:24 PM »
When I watch Dottie now in her new role as commentator on TGC and NBC (she seems to have supplanted Kelly Tilghman as the NBC women's golf transplant from TGC as I did not see Kelly on NBC this year, unlike the past 2 seasons when she did work for them at the Women's Open), she strikes me as an extremely neat person who would be lots of fun to be around. Plus she can golf her ball. What more could a guy ask for? I better stop here before I get in real trouble...  ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:07:40 PM by Greg Beaulieu »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
Paul Thomas:

The "unknown" you were trying to remember who beat Nancy Lopez at Pumpkin Ridge was Alison Nicholas from England.  I played golf with her a couple of times when we were both young, in fact we actually won a best-ball event one time ... proof that she was a hell of a good golfer.

As for this year's event, Pressel was robbed, but she'll have more chances ... remember Nicklaus should have won the Open in 1960.  As for Wie, I'm reminded of the career path of the young prodigy Bobby Jones in his teens.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 06:22:16 PM by Tom_Doak »

tonyt

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 06:34:40 PM »
Given they were tied coming to 18, if the bunker shot had not gone in we have no idea whether she would have made a longish par putt coming back.

Kim would have had a shorter par putt than Pressel did (again, no idea what Pressel would have faced for par had she hit her second and third shots without Kim holing out).

Kim's shot wasn't skulled. It was played out much more conservatively and if anything, the running style shot instead of the longer carried spinning shot was better suited to a lesser bunker player like her, so she played it perfectly under her circumstances at that time.

At the very least if it hadn't gone in, she would have still had a par putt from four to eight feet to probably win and be the only player in contention to par the last. And get the closest to the hole in three. So it wasn't entirely the trap shot.

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 06:41:43 PM »
Kim's shot wasn't skulled. It was played out much more conservatively and if anything, the running style shot instead of the longer carried spinning shot was better suited to a lesser bunker player like her, so she played it perfectly under her circumstances at that time.

Interesting observation, Tony. As I was listening to Johnny Miller and others kind of ridicule the shot, I remember thinking that maybe her running shot was a better choice than the others, who tried to fly the ball farther and get it to stop close.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back