News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Guess where?
« on: May 09, 2005, 04:35:59 PM »
I just returned from a visit to a course. You might be able to tell it from the bunkering. I'm doing a write-up on the course but I thought I'd share some of the amazing hazards.

A closer view near the green:

Some very cool greenside bunkers:

From behind a green, this bunker is there to piss people off, as it is mostly blind from the fairway:

I was reminded a bit of Pacific Dunes No. 7 here.

Dan King
One of the great joys of practicing golf architecture is the chance to work with varying properties in terms of their natural features, vegetation and environment.
 --Bill Coore

THuckaby2

Re:Guess where?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 04:38:36 PM »
Yahoooooo!

Good for you man.

I'm gonna be there myself a month from today... absolutely can't wait.

Thanks for the pics.

Happy trails to you... until we meet again....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »
I'm doing a write-up on the course but I thought I'd share some of the amazing hazards.

Dan, are you doing this as a hobby or have you taken, gasp, a job?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
Dan,
  I'm chomping at the bit, 3 weeks to go. Haven't seen that next to last pic before. Love the fall off into the bunker, hope they keep it. Lets get out and play, I need the practice.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:50:55 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:53:08 PM »
In the voice of Lawrence Welk, "less gif da bois a hant".
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:01:39 PM »
Ed - at the risk of absolute blasphemy, just remember you are my golf Ed the Baptist up there man... pre-e-e-pare ye the way of the Huck... and remember to fill your divots and replace all ball marks.  I get there just a few days after you leave.

Practice?  That's for the weak, and highly over-rated.

;D ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
Thomas of Huckaby,
  I take offense that you would remind me to fill in divots and repair ball marks. ;) Have no fear, the playing field will be pristine where I have trod. Particularly the greens since I never hit any. :-[
   After my KPIV exhibition, you know I need practice (or to give up the game, which is unlikely).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 05:12:34 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »
I see some great Jeff Bradley bunker lines....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 02:18:49 PM »
I'm very impressed by these photos.  I'm heading up tonight and am playing there the next 3 days.  Will let you know!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 02:58:07 PM »

I'm gonna be there myself a month from today... absolutely can't wait.

Huck,

I don't think this is Nebraska bro.  ;) No more crying about the wife and kids tying you down in San Jose. We should all have such June's!

Nate Mady

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 03:29:19 PM »
Jeff Bradley, the Bunker Guru, he rules!!

Dan King

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »
Pete Lavallee writes:
Dan, are you doing this as a hobby or have you taken, gasp, a job?

All depends on how you define job.

I'm working, but it isn't for a paycheck or any do-re-mi or anything like that. I'm a partner with Sal Johnson on GolfObserver.com and I'm a part-time nanny for my sister's kids.

Dan King
Oh, if you ain't got the do re mi, folks, you ain't got the do re mi
Why you better get back to beautiful Texas, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee
California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi
 --Woody Guthrie

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 04:00:57 PM »
Speaking of Guthrie's "Do, Re, Mi", is anyone out there familiar with Ry Cooder's version on his first (or maybe second) album? Ry is one of my absolute favorites.

DT

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 04:51:30 PM »
Dan King,

Do you think that the bunker face and grass slope leading to the bunker in your 4th photo will be maintainable ?

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »
I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting the King is person, but if his posts on here are at all reflective of him, I can't imagine a better nanny for a child.

That last photo reminds me of that infamous Berkshire Blue bunker thread - a thread that started off at mid level and plunged down from there. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 08:43:30 PM »
Dan,

What dog track is this?

Why, they don't even edge their bunkers and worse yet, there seem to be bunkers right in the middle of the fairway!

In the immortal words of Gary Player, "that's not fair; that's where I was always taught to hit the ball".  

T_MacWood

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 09:41:23 PM »
I thought Tom Simpson was dead.

SPDB

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 09:45:30 PM »
What are the red flags and red spray painted lines for?

TEPaul

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »
"I thought Tom Simpson was dead."

Tom:

Is that a good guess or good research?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 01:15:18 AM »
Dan;

Thanks for the photos, though your statement that the architects put the bunker in the fourth photo there to purposely upset the player might be, well, just a little bit off the mark!!  That bunker is more accurately on the right side of the green, and will help the player keep their errant ball in some kind of playable position, out of the wetland that lies below.  
The slope between that bunker and the green is being maintained pretty well so far, for in the soon to be immortal words of Tom Doak, "if anyone can do it, Ken Nice can!"

The red paint lines are there from the last visit of the 'bunker guru' and used to define bunker edge location on his final go-round before opening.  That bunker guru, and I can't quite remember his name, is a pretty good guy, though he has decided to grow his hair long now in a return to his liberal, radical, Arkansas roots!!

Tom

the pres

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 03:22:21 AM »
Tom Jefferson,
This would be true about that Bunker Guru-guy. (whatever his name is) We all know how the hillbilly/hippie/drummers can get.

THuckaby2

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 09:14:46 AM »
Mike S.:

My incredible June is the exact reason why the other 11 months are so difficult.

But yes, I believe I am going to have quite a nice time next month, in two quite nice places.

;D

Michael Moore

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »
I give up . . .  which course is this?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

THuckaby2

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 09:25:52 AM »
Bandon Trails - new course up at Bandon Dunes.  Opens officially on June 1.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
These are very good pictures.  The first 2 are of the par 5 3rd hole.  Its reachable in 2.  The pot bunker is actually 30 yards in front of the green.  The hole allows you to run the ball onto the green which you would expect from Bill Coore.

The last picture is one of the brilliant par 4's.  The cross bunker streaches all the way across the fairway.  Its then about 110 to the front and 150 to the back of a very sloped green.  Again you can run it up to the green.   The tee shot from the black tee is 265 to the top edge of the right side and probably 235 from the blue tee.  It plays into the wind as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back