News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Was there a Victorian/Industrial Age of GCA?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2005, 01:21:24 AM »
DMoriarty,

I'm shocked at the inaccuracies of your post.
You're a lawyer.
I never said 1900, and
I never said at the turn of the century, which you stated that I did.

I stated at ABOUT the turn of the century.
That means before the turn of the century.
And, I think the period 1890 or 1893 or 1895 qualifies as about the turn of the century.

You information from "Outing Magazine" conflicts with Cornish & Whitten and with Tom MacWood's info.

I maintain, that on it's own, it's not credible.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2005, 02:05:11 AM »
Tom Macwood,

I've already detailed the previous inaccuracies in the dates of completion on the courses you listed.
[/color]

A few more:

Tom, these are mostly after 1890 & 1895, why do you insist on supplying information that has nothing to do with the time frame stated in my post ?

And, some of the information is inaccurate.
Why do you always claim that your sources are accurate and everyone elses sources are inaccurate ?

If nothing else it should teach you that conflicts exist which call into question the validity and veracity of the author's
statements and/or conclusions.
[/color]

Hay Harbor 1890
Forest Hill Field 1897 Forest Hill Field Club[/color]
Colonia 1898
Deal 1899
Hollywood 1898
Englewood 1896
Essex Fells 19001910[/color]
Glen Ridge 1894
White Beeches 1897
Montclair 1893Montclair Athletic Club, not Montclair Golf Club[/color]
Hackensack 1898
Ridgewood 1898
Baltusroll and there are more

When I have more time I'll address the inaccuracies of the above list.  Golf courses Tom, not Clubs.
[/color]

My source is the Golfer's Handbook (1930)

Your source is clearly wrong.
You also have to be able to distinguish when clubs were formed from when they became golf clubs by building their golf courses.

Being from the Metro area I'm surprised you were unaware of the number of courses circa 1900....there are a lot of old club around there that trace their roots way back.

Tom, why do you feel the need to be dishonest ?
Are you so desperate to prove your point that you've taken desperate measures to do so ?
You stated that I stated the year 1900.  I then asked you to cite where I referenced the year 1900 and you've been unable to do so.   Would you please provide the citation.
If you can't, admit you erred and let's go on.

Why do you continue to reference clubs built on or after 1900, a year that I NEVER mentioned ?

You claim to be a great researcher but you've FAILED the simple task of researching this thread to come up with a simple date.  I ask you again, where did I reference 1900 ?

And, why do you find the need to be intellectually dishonest by continuing to refer to that date, offering a source that may be inaccurate, as infallible ?

What exactly did Geoff say about the number of golf courses in 1900? I suspect you either took what he said out of context or mis-quoted him.

I did neither.
I still know how to read and report what I've read without being intellectually dishonest.  And, why do you keep referencing 1900, a date that I never referenced ?

Do you think, if you keep harping on it that you'll convince me to change the date to suit your purpose.  You can repeat the LIE about 1900 as often as you like, it only shows how desperate you've become.
[/color]

Now that you have acknowledged there was quite a bit more than a dozen courses in the US, do you still claim there were no Victorian courses in America?

I've never acknowledged that.   My statement remains, at about the turn of the century, in the early 1890's there were but a dozen golf courses in the entire US.  To make life easier for you, I don't consider 3 holes or 6 holes or 9 holes or 12 holes to be a golf course, just a number of golf holes.  
So, let's confine our discussion to 18 hole golf courses.

So that there can be no misinterpretations, define Victorian golf course.
[/color]

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:06:46 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

DMoriarty

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2005, 02:11:32 AM »
DMoriarty,

I'm shocked at the inaccuracies of your post.
You're a lawyer.
I never said 1900, and
I never said at the turn of the century, which you stated that I did.

I stated at ABOUT the turn of the century.
That means before the turn of the century.
And, I think the period 1890 or 1893 or 1895 qualifies as about the turn of the century.

You information from "Outing Magazine" conflicts with Cornish & Whitten and with Tom MacWood's info.

I maintain, that on it's own, it's not credible.

My post is entirely accurate.  I acknowledged what you said.  I was disappointed at your now obvious attempt to mislead.  

So you maintain that the Outing Magazine, printed in 1899, was inaccurate about the clubs they were reviewed, sometimes in great detail?  Were also inaccurate about the photos they included ?  What about the notable members they mentioned?  The location maps they supplied?  

"About" means "before," and getting it right within 5 to 10 years  is acceptable when we are talking about only a 20 year period?  That is a margin of error of 50%!

Outing magazine's credibility is not at issue.  Rather, with posts like these it is your credibility that is becoming questionable.

TEPaul

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2005, 07:07:51 AM »
What are the Common Characteristics of The Early Inland Style of Golf Design?

-- Uniform, Straight edged cop bunkers (actually a "cop" hill or mound designed to catch the ball, with a "bunker" just short of the cop) running across the fairway from one side of the hole to the other.  Usually spaced at fairly specific and uniform distances from the tee.
-- Depending on the length of the hole, a second cop bunker placed approximately 20 yds short of the green, designed to catch mishit approaches.  
-- Few bunkers around the greens.
-- Little or no effort to blend man-made features into the existing landscape.  Features appear uniform, industrial, man-made.  
-- Round or square greens, or oval for the really adventuresome.  Sometimes flattened or terraced on RR ties, sometimes set into the existing ground with existing undulations.  
-- Trap bunkers, often shaped like rectangular flower beds, stationed on the edges of the fairways to "trap" hooks and slices.
--  Devoid of strategic features.  
--  Focused purely on testing physical skill.  
--  Did not "tend to the smallest improvement in the game of the player."

“Tom Paul,  

You tell TomM that he is being too broad, and overplaying certain facts, then in the next breadth you tell me that the entire Early Inland style wasnt a product of the many specifics that TomM and I have listed, but rather all attributable to Max Behr's description of the complicated interworkings of man's mind??  Now there are some specific's for you!  

Seriously, you might not want to hang your hat on Behr this time.  A brief review of some of his written work convinces me that Behr and TomM were on the same page.  

Adam does make some good points,  unfortunately he fails to realize that much of what he describes is directly attributable to victorian industrialization, and therefor misses the significance of its rejection by the golf designers.  You do the same thing.  Take another look at my detailed response to Adam if you'd like to see what I am talking about.”

Dave:

When I said I thought TomM was being too broad, I was speaking about his attempt to include many different art forms (building architecture, furniture, all kinds of art and crafts such as glass forms, decorative art etc ) in some broad comparison to golf architecture and the primary influence on it in this early time. If you want to know what I’m specifically speaking of as to what I disagree with TomM on insofar as this primary influence on golf architecture he maintains just check out TomM’s description of William Morris’s overall intention or career effort. It appears he was attempting a collaborative effort to connect all art forms in his movement or otherwise. Personally and philosophically I don’t believe such a thing is a particularly good idea anyway and although Morris and the “Arts and Crafts” movement may’ve done that to some degree and perhaps to some degree broadly across various art forms, it clearly did not really last or take hold in some massive influence on various art forms, in my opinion. And, the art of golf architecture is one I don’t believe it really did. That’s what I mean as Tom MacW being to broad in the context of this particularly movement.

Behr, on the other hand in the quote in post #3 at least confined his explanation about early golf architecture removed from the linklsna to the subject of “games” or “Sport” which on might categorize as perhaps recreation. He primarily used tennis as an analogy of how man tends to define time and space in “games”. He juxtaposed that to linklsand golf which he felt must necessarily include nature’s randomness which he referred to as its ‘intangibles’. When golf first left the linksland and migrated to England and first to America he obviously felt it did not at first take that linksland natural randomness or a natural “intangibleness with it at first---at least not until Park Jr’s breakthrough in the Heathland at Sunningdale and Huntercombe.

“Yes you disagree, but not really in any sort of form which helps me further challenge my own views.  With what specifically do you disagree?”

See my two paragraphs above.  

”Do you disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's in inland Britan?”

I frankly don’t really know if what you describe above was the dominant architecture of the late 1800s in Britain. I’ve never seen photographs of all of it from that time and I’ve only seen a few courses in Britain anyway. One was Tom Dunn’s Ganton and if it looked originally anything like it does today I would surely never describe it’s architecture the way you did above. Logically it probably didn’t look like it does today when Dunn built is seeing as app eight other architects have worked on it since.

”Do you disagree that the style of architecture I describe above as Early Inland was the dominant architecture of the late 1800's and in the first part of the first decade of the 1900's in the United States?””

Again, I really don’t know what it generally looked like (if some style of architecture could be called “Dominant” in that age). I do know that various architecture did describe that era’s architecture as “Victorian”. I do not know if by that they mean some defined style or if they were just describing some simplicity and perhaps rudimentariness that existed at that particularly time (The age known as “Victorian”).

”Do you disagree that many of the characteristics of this Early Inland style were entirely consistent the approach to production in Industrialized Britan?”

‘Many of the characteristic’? I don’t know that I would say that. I realize you and TomM are saying that but that might be a stretch. I’d tend to subscribe to the theory explained by Behr that simplicity in straight line precision of this kind might be a far more inherent inclination of Man---not necessarily just British or Victorian.  

”Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects explicitly rejected the Early Inland Style?”

I do not disagree with that. I think most did reject that early inland style---that which they came to refer to as “Victorian”, “Dark Age” and eventually “Geometric” architecture. Frankly, I sense that the highly “geometric” architecture exhibited at Annandale G.C. probably followed some highly simple or rudimentary architecture both the latter half of the 1800s in both Britain and America. Some of the early photos of England and America of that age look far more simple and bland and very little like that radical “lion’s teeth’, highly symmetrical “choclate drop” style found in the photo in GeoffShac’s book of the College Arms G.C. in Deland Florida. If there was anything like that in early British architecture I’m not aware of it.

”Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects looked to the pre-industrial links period for their inspiration as well as their formulaic (or lack thereof) and aesthetic exemplars?”

I don’t disagree with that at all. I think they most of them did that, the very best of them anyway, and the literature of the Golden Age and golf architecture’s evolution says that loud and clear over and over again. I’ve always said that throughout all these threads. The irony is the style of Raynor never exactly followed that highly natural aesthetic (but that’s another story!).  What I am saying though, at least in the context of this subject about the influence of the A/C Movement, is that I don’t think it was primarily the influence of the A/C Movement that inspired them to look back at the natural linksland model as their inspiration. And, I’m not by that saying that the A/C Movement didn’t exist at all or didn’t have influence on other art forms---just not a primary influence on this shift in the aesthetic in golf architecture---at least not remotely to the extent Tom MacWood suggests----which is to an extent that he apparently thinks the “Golden Age” should be renamed “arts and crafts” architecture to be more descriptive of what it’s primary influence was.

(cont below)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:31:47 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2005, 07:31:17 AM »
(cont)

”Do you disagree that designers we call Golden Age Architects (using the links as inspiration) designed courses which more utilized natural features and blended into the natural setting, were more thought provoking for the player, were much less formulaic, and which utilized a more natural aesthetic?”

I most certainly do not disagree with that. Again, the best of them most certainly did look to Heathland and linksland architecture as their inspiration. A few of them are doing that to a huge degree again today! You’re coming to Hidden Creek, right? I believe you might here Bill Coore explain that the style of Hidden Creek is basically a tribute to the style of early heathland architecture. You’ll probably hear owner Roger Hansen explain he traveled to look carefully at early Heathland architecture before Hidden Creek went into construction.

PHEW!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »

I acknowledged what you said.  

I was disappointed at your now obvious attempt to mislead.  

There was never any attempt to mislead.
You and Tom MacWood, in your blind thirst to prove your point, made the mistake of targeting the year 1900.
[/color]

So you maintain that the Outing Magazine, printed in 1899, was inaccurate about the clubs they were reviewed, sometimes in great detail?  Were also inaccurate about the photos they included ?  What about the notable members they mentioned?  The location maps they supplied?  

I stated that "Outing Magazine" was in conflict with C&W and Tom MacWood's sources.
I drew NO conclusions as you have, only that when three sources disagree on the same issue, someones credibility has to be questioned.  That's prudent isn't it ?
[/color]

"About" means "before," and getting it right within 5 to 10 years  is acceptable when we are talking about only a 20 year period?  That is a margin of error of 50%!

For a lawyer you sure know how to misrepresent things.
A century is a 100 year period.  Describing the early 1890's as "about the turn of the century" is highly accurate.
[/color]

Outing magazine's credibility is not at issue.  Rather, with posts like these it is your credibility that is becoming questionable.

How do you reconcile the conflict with C&W's information ?
How do you reconcile the conflict with TM's sources ?

If all three have conflicts regarding dates and information, all three can't be right.  Hence, one or more of the three, or possibly all three have to have their credibility questioned.
[/color]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:05:25 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back