News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

How can we make CGA an ever better website?
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »
I spend at lot of time on GCA webite. It got me thinking the other day about the good and the bad stuff that is posted here.

I'd like to hear from the Treehouse what we as posters can do to improve the content here.

For my 2 cents, I'd like to see more discussion about golf course architecture with specific descriptive comments, more pictures with the discussion if possible, less repetitve statements, less bashing of the non favorite architects, more discussion about the good lesser known architects and their courses.

If someone wants to be negative about a course, I'd like to hear the why's, not just this is a piece of %&*#^.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:41:16 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Herrmann

Re:How can we make CGA an ever better website?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 02:30:13 PM »
cary,
From a strictly technical standpoint, I'd add another message board.

So, we'd have Golf Course Architecture and the new one.

I'd call the new one "The Treehouse" where all non-architectural discussions could take place.  The type of stuff typically preceeded by OT- in the thread title.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
The main way to keep this web site at the top of its game is to think of good topics to post.  There aren't enough people out there coming up with interesting topics.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »
cary,

I'd call the new one "The Treehouse" where all non-architectural discussions could take place.  The type of stuff typically preceeded by OT- in the thread title.

Dan:
There is no harm in the OT posts.  If you're not interested just don't read them.  Another Board would just be an additional expense and not enough people contribute now.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

ian

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »
Dave,

The only problem is quite a few clever threads got quickly buried when and a topic like Martha Burke dominated the site.

There are too many "quick" threads that have a one or two day shelf life and push better threads into page two to be often missed.

I'm often away for one to two weeks, and the speed of the threads growth and disappearance is too short for a good solid discussion. The site has an MTV length focus, and only a few threads ever get to any meaningful depth.

noonan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 05:34:15 PM »
Off topic section.

Danny Goss

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:03:06 PM »
cary,

I agree. I would break the discussion group into two sections -one for architecture and one for all of the rest. That way those of us who visit to read the architectural threads dont have to wade through the rest of the "OT" stuff.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 09:58:08 PM »
I find the site to be fine as it is.  There are always enough different topics that keep me interested.  The others I ignore.  I would however, echo what Tom Doak said, "Think of good topics."  I try to come up with new and interesting threads but draw blanks.  I used to think I was creative--Now I'm not so sure.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »
...I wouldn't change it as dilution could be this sites ruin...I think the balance between serious and not so is a good one....Tom D is correct.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:50:04 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Neil Regan

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 11:28:56 PM »
Add an editors' choice selection. Ran can pick the editors. An editor can click any worthwhile discussion into the editors' choice area. And maybe unclick it.

Simple. Easy. Takes advantage of our experts. Saves loads of time for all of us.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Mark_F

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 12:00:43 AM »
More overseas posters to travel down under so they can join us in our enlightened discussions.  :)

Come on fellas, many of us have been OS.  It's not THAT far.

Everyone's welcome here.  

Maybe even Lou Duran.  :D

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 03:21:20 AM »
Ran should post more often.

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »
How about a lot fewer personal attacks and less back-and-forth rivalry among posters more eager to have their say than to say something substantive? A lot more restraint and self-editing would help, too. The valuable stuff gets lost in the screaming, the ego and the one-upsmanship.

JakaB

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 09:19:42 AM »
What is the "valuable stuff" that Brad mentions....If you are not an architect, rater or into access what is of value that might be lost.

PThomas

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 10:00:58 AM »
I think the site is fine as is...of course, we can all try to think of more new topics to discuss
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 10:36:17 AM »
To me the biggest strength of this site is the pictures.  I feel like I am familiar with Sand Hills, Boston GC, Barnbougle, Cypress Point and a myriad of other courses that I have never played.  I have Scott Burrough's aerial summary bookmarked.  Although my search abilities have improved, it would be great if the other photographs were more easily accessible.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:08 AM »
cary,

Dan:
There is no harm in the OT posts.  If you're not interested just don't read them.  Another Board would just be an additional expense and not enough people contribute now.
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Dave,
It wouldn't cost a penny to open up a new board on this site.  You know when you get on, you see "Golf Course Architecture".  In my idea, you'd also see a new board with whatever title Ran wanted.

You can see what I mean if you visit http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/

Many more than what's needed here, but you'lll get the idea.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »
Some subjects we get interested in discussing further seem to get lost over time.  If we had some method of recovery, an index file or something, with titles - perhaps it would develop more depth of thought on some issues.

Neil Regan

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
Some subjects we get interested in discussing further seem to get lost over time.  If we had some method of recovery, an index file or something, with titles - perhaps it would develop more depth of thought on some issues.

Willie,

I agree. Ran can name some editors who would pick and categorize worthwhile threads.

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

JakaB

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 12:58:47 PM »
Give me the edit button and we will have a good ole time.  It is very simple...if you have a topic that interests you you have to work it.  You can't just sit back and think it will grow on its own.  Make an interesting title...throw out an idea or two and then come back and nurture it along.  Timing can be everything....If you have a good idea to help the tread along sometimes you need to let it get down the page a bit before you bring it back to the top.   A good thread simply takes some work if you want it to last.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:59:29 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 01:02:15 PM »
Don't fix that which is not broken.

And everyone needs strengthen their sense of humor. Avoid taking offense when offense isn't intended.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JakaB

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 01:07:57 PM »
Don't fix that which is not broken.

And everyone needs strengthen their sense of humor. Avoid taking offense when offense isn't intended.

I know I offend alot of people and 99% of the time it is intentional...but please...quit calling Ran up and just send me an instant message as I will be happy to split the cost of a plane ticket so you can fly into a local airport where there are plenty of empty fields nearby where we can hash things out.  We might even create a natural bunker site in the process..

John_Cullum

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

I know I offend alot of people and 99% of the time it is intentional...

One of my favorite things to pull is to not be offended when someone intends me to be. For practical purposes, it is not possible to offend Sarge.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

ForkaB

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »
Forget "editors" let's have Ran select a few "raters!"

Every post submitted would be given a 1-10 rating on:

--Grammar
--Respect for Tradition
--Prolixity (the more words the better)
--Curmudgeonliness
--Ability to drop names of clubs, architects or players
--Degree of difficulty (to understand)
--Maintenance Meld
--Relevance to GCA
--Lack of tyops

Only those rating higher than 6.5 on the RAN (Random Acces to Nirvana) scale would be published.  (For those unfamiliar with the RAN scale, please send me an SASE and I will furnish you with the entire classification).

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 01:40:41 PM »
Even if you don't have somethng to contribute yourself, bump a worthy thread if you'd like to encourage further discussion of that issue.

The bump is particularly welcome if it's not your own thread.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back