News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Voytek Wilczak

Golf Course Acreage
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:51:04 PM »
Since this is my first post, I would like to introduce myself to the Group. My name is Voytek Wilczak. I was born in Poland, and have been living in the US (greater NY metro area) since 1981.

My thanks to Ran for getting me on board so quickly - I am actually a bit nervous posting given the extremely high level of expertise here (I discovered this great site only a few days ago). I am an average golfer but I love and respect the game -  I made it a point to play many of the world's greatest courses in the past 10 years. I am not professionally involved with the golf business in any way.

I have long been fascinated with a question of what elusive mixture of qualities is necessary to create a GREAT golf course (ie a 10-8 on Doak scale, let's say). I hope that by participating in the discussions here I will deepen my understanding of what it takes to create great courses (and whether some of them are, indeed, works of art!).

But let's take it a step at a time: all the great courses seem to be laid out on generous tracts of land (area-wise). Can a great course be laid out on a small parcel (let's say 120-130 acres)? Or are greatness and small acreage mutually exclusive? On how many acres is Sebonack (surely a great course candidate) laid out?

Thanks

Voytek

Jason Topp

Re:Golf Course Acreage
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:48:08 PM »
Voytek - Welcome!

I don't know anything about this topic, but here is a thread that touches on the issues you raise.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17533;start=msg309734#msg309734

There may be more.  I find the search engine difficult to use but have had more success lately by using the advanced search and searching using the "as a phrase" option.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 04:48:25 PM by Jason Topp »

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
Wannamoisett is often pointed to as the flag-bearer for the compact golf course...at only 105 acres or so, it does fairly well for itself.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 04:49:36 PM »
Merion=110 acres.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Lester George

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »
Voytek,

I recently designed and built a modern golf course on 124 acres here in Richmond (Providence Golf Course).  6600 yards par 71 (5 par 3's and 4 par 5,s) and it's got all of the shots.  Hard to do though.

Check out Cavalier Golf and Yacht Club in Va Beach 18 holes on 100 acres, Charles Banks design, restored by us two years ago.  6150 yards par 69, but a mind bender.

Lester George

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:05:48 PM »
Voytek,
  Welcome to GCA. Merion was the small site that came to mind and someone already mentioned it. Try and get out on site where any course is being built and ask questions, it is a great learning experience. Also, tell us what you think is good and bad architecturally about courses you have played and ask for feedback, I have found that to be very educational also. Make a point of getting to one of the various GCA outings and you will be well on your way to learning all you could ever want to know about golf course architecture.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 11:00:33 PM »
My home course is probably 110 acres.No wasted space but the ob can get old.Wonder what the acreage of Old Course is? There are obviously some safety concerns,especially with the sanctioned extortion known as the American legal system.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 01:56:16 AM »
Voytek:

Ballybunion and Kingston Heath are two of the world's great courses built on very small properties. Don't know the exact number, but I believe neither is laid out on more than 120-130 acres.
Tim Weiman

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 07:17:40 AM »
Thanks, guys.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Small can be beautiful... ;)

Bruce Katona

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 09:28:21 AM »
The course Eric Bergstol of Empire Golf is currently building in Bayonne, NJ is on about 110 acres.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 10:17:05 AM »
Don't know the exact acerage but I believe Riviera is <120 acres.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 10:52:38 AM »
The main parcel of Sebonack is 240 acres.
The maximum allowable managed turf area is 100 acres.
Approx 130 acres will be preserved areas an native restoration areas.
The maximum allowable building/paved areas will 10 acres.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back