News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

shelters/restrooms
« on: March 04, 2005, 12:09:08 PM »

Our club has secured monies to replace 2 brick sh**houses out on the course. Currently the talk is his/hers with enough space to park 4 carts in a storm. Some sort of holding tank is to be used. Water is nearby.

I am concerned because once again money (50k *2) is being spent without  consulting an architect. There is potential for considerable renovation work on one nine and id hate for a building to get in the way.

I am pushing for a masterplan and would like use this event to promote that.

What are some of the mistakes others have made regarding this in the past?

Craig Disher

Re:shelters/restrooms
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 01:15:40 PM »
Is there any reason to be more elaborate than this?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 01:38:31 PM »
That a great craphouse you've pictured there, Craig.

Am I alone in feeling that the large tree behind and to the right should be eliminated or at least pruned back? I doubt it was there when the elimination station was built or at least it wasn't so overgrown.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:59:12 PM »
The exhuast vents on the roof are a key feature.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 03:01:03 PM »
If not the tree, then certainly the cartpath

frank_D

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »
brother Mike McGuire

consider this as well -

do you want WOMEN to play on the course ?

if NO then can the can - the one necessity for any woman is a powder room - without one - well they simply cannot complete a round (especially during "that time of the month")

we guys of course have no such constraints - so you would have the course to yourselves

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:13:06 PM »
That photo reminds me of my first week working a summer job at a golf course. The super sent me and the assistant out to cut down an elm about that close to the outhouse.  We boldly told him we knew exactly how to notch the trunk so it would fall away from the restroom.  We both had it exactly backwards, and the tree fell right on the structure, causing some big damage we were trying to prevent..... ::)

There is some thought that golf courses need to provide some shelter on far reaches of the course for lightning, which is probably what drives the four carts theory of design.  Others say that you get in more trouble providing some shelter, but not enough.  (if you bring gum to class for one child, you must bring it for all.....)  Those say that if you acknowledge a problem then you must solve it. If you don't, then it is up to golfers to fend for themselves.  Something to consider.

Now, I'm a golf course architect, and I sympathize with your inutitions.  However, providing personal safety and comfort for your golfers should be job one.  Or, if you excuse the pun, in the case of restroom/shelters, job no. 1 and 2.... ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 06:01:58 PM »
My wife's family owns some property in Alabama. On the property are the ruins of an antebellum home. Behind the ruins, almost hidden in a stand of trees, we found a privy. After hacking away at vines and shrubs, we were able to swing open the door and discovered the privy had seven holes arranged in a semi-circle across the back wall. That's seven as in seven.

(Does a family that goes to the bathroom together stay together?)

So this is my idea for your course. You set up something less ambitious, say just a four hole privy. No plumbing, just a pit underneath. Think of the advantages. First, it will speed play. Everyone in your foursome can get relief simultaneously. No waiting. Second, it will foster a new sense of togetherness among members of your club. Third, it will be inexpensive to build. Fourth, you clean out the pit periodically, fertilize your course with it and, chizzam, the new privy has paid for itself after a couple of months.

Bob

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 06:12:53 PM »
all this reminds me of the time I was told about the golfing wife of a well-known celebrity who would do like the men if necessary and go behind a tree and ....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

peter_p

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 06:17:57 PM »
The are called necessary houses in England. And if you have a lock installed on the door, please make sure guests know the combo number.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 10:20:48 PM »
Would this outhouse be considered a Biarritz?

Seriously, why would you spend the money to build a structure big enough to park the carts in?  If it was to have a safe place during a storm, why can't the players get out of the cart and sit the shelter - see the area in the middle of featured outhouse.

AD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back