News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

james soper

Fishers Island Golf Club History on Ebay
« on: March 03, 2005, 04:20:02 PM »
Check out the Fishers Island Golf Club History on Ebay. Currently going for $107. Sounds fantastic. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4532196556&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW    

TEPaul

Re:Fishers Island Golf Club History on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »
Hmmm, idiot I am. I was looking at how to bid until I realized I have one right behind me. But if anyone can find me a history book of Tommy Birdsong's Fernandina Beach Municipal Golf Course......

Donnie Beck

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:15:19 PM »
:)

james soper

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:33:12 AM »
tom paul, as far as club histories go, is this a worthy effort?

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:17:48 PM »
James,
  I would ask Donnie, I doubt anyone else knows the course as well.
Donnie,
  How well does the book cover the course? Or is it more of a social history as most histories are?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 02:20:13 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:32:04 PM »
"tom paul, as far as club histories go, is this a worthy effort?"

JamesS:

Well, let me give you a very definitive quotation answer on that:

"Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Oh, or do you mean is there a lot of good stuff in the book? Yes there is---on the course, on the history and evolution of the island, on the interesting beginning and evolution of the club---sort of a sister to Mountain Lake Club with same landplanner (Olmstead), architect (Raynor) and developer (Ruth), and a number of other good things as well as a pretty good hole by hole, some on Raynor, an article by George Bahto etc.

I think the book was written and to press, though, before the most momentous thing ever to happen to Fishers Island occured---even more momentous than the incredible Hurricane of '38 that did the same thing in one day to that island that could be done by 100,000 chainsaws over a year---that being leveling about every tree on the island.

The event I refer to which unfortunately post-dates the history book and is more momentous even than that hurricane is of course the arrival at Fishers Island Golf Club of the great Donnie Beck!! The only man in the history of golf superintendency who can tie his on-course firm and fast application almost exactly to the various volumes of fish he might catch in one year! When his green chariman asked him for firm and fast conditions, Donnie replied;

"Well, how fast do you want it? Do you want it a 500 fish a year F&F, a 750 fish a year, or a 1000 fish a year firm and fast?"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 03:40:04 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back