News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas_Brown

Algarve golf?
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:45:47 AM »
Being a So. Cal. guy, I'm interested in opinions of the quality of golf on Europe's sunny coast -  Any good experiences?

http://www.algarve-gold.com/golf/

John_Conley

Re:Algarve golf?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:31:19 AM »
This is so funny.  One of the day pics on my calendar was from the Algarve and I remembered my trips to Europe with my dad as a very young kid.

I was probably about 8 or 9 when I was ripped from a few bottles of Lancers rose and Lancers white after touring the winery.  We headed to a nearby course and I whiffed more than once on the first hole.

I remember playing Vale de Lobo, Quinta del Lago, Penina, and a couple others.  Golf there was cheap and there wasn't anyone to play them.  I'm sure it has changed now that golf is more popular in Europe.   This was more than 25 years ago.

Alex Chehansky

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:37:32 AM »
Love the Algarve.  As a fellow SoCal guy, born and raised, but who lives in Florida now (??????), my family loves Portugal and has been going there for about ten years.  We stay in a place called Benagil, rent a home there as it is centrally located to the region, far less expensive, and far less trendy.  I have played most of all the courses there.  I highly recommend the Penina course, a Henry Cotton design, one of the best in the region.  San Lorenzo is a World Top 100 and fits the bill.  It is very similar to courses in the socal area, lots of eucalyptus trees and views of lowland marsh and sea.  The Val de Lobo course is OK, great 16th hole on the Ocean course, but otherwise ok.  A fun 9 holes is at the Sheraton Cliffs.  Really neat architecture and a one shotter that I think is one of the best in the world.

On the west end is another great track, cant remember the name offhand, but a new resort that is fantastic.  Google Algarve golf and you will find numerous sites for your perusal.  Please feel free to IM me with any thoughts and I can fill you in on eating places, time to visit, etc.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:23:46 PM »
Thomas, The Algarve is great.  Stay at the Dona Filipa and play Val Do Lobo And San Lorenzo and enyoy the food and people.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 10:21:15 PM »
Thomas, I believe Troia, by Robert Trent Jones,was once
considered among Portugals finest.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 09:10:15 AM »
Just make sure you never leave anything in your car (night or day).  We had our car broken into twice while we were in Portugal, once while I was playing Penina.  Because of that I only saw about 15 holes down there.  Other than that, Portugal was a wonderful country.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:11:03 AM by John Vander Borght »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back