News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Westward Ho!
« on: August 25, 2004, 03:39:45 PM »
Golf has been played over the same piece of ground since 1864 but was changed by Herbert Fowler of Walton Heath fame in 1908.  It is not only like playing a museum but the golf is wonerfully fun, calling for inventiveness, dexterity jumping over sheep shit and a willingness to not let a bad bounce get you down.  It may be the most underrated course in Britain, although Doak did put it on his Gourmet list.  It was so fun I took out an international membership.  A place like that deserves our financial support.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re:Westward Ho!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:23:47 PM »
Darn it Tom, I got all excited juming into this thread thinking someone else had made the pilgrimage to South Dakota and Westward Ho CC in Sioux Falls, SD.  (Larry Packard 1958)

With all this recent Dakota talk on here I thought just maybe.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 09:42:05 PM »
Sorry Daryl,  I would, however, like to get to South Dakota.  I need a Norwegian fix! ::) ;D
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:35:03 AM »
Dear Tommy:

I played there again this spring for the first time since 1982, after the meeting at Painswick.  What a great place it is, although there was no wind when we played so a lot of holes were pretty simple.

I am convinced it would be Jim Urbina's new favorite course in the world, after Pacific Dunes.  I finally figured out how to present a course with no man-made mowing lines at all ... just let the sheep mow it!

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 04:19:57 AM »
Dear Tommy:

I played there again this spring for the first time since 1982, after the meeting at Painswick.  What a great place it is, although there was no wind when we played so a lot of holes were pretty simple.

I am convinced it would be Jim Urbina's new favorite course in the world, after Pacific Dunes.  I finally figured out how to present a course with no man-made mowing lines at all ... just let the sheep mow it!

Tom

Have you been to Brora yet?  If not, bring Jim U there.  I think of it as a focused "Westward Ho"--fewer mammalian species present, but more intensive impact of their life style on the "maintenance meld."  I'd challenge either of you to identify the "mowing lines" on that course!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »
Daryl;

I played Westward Ho in Sioux Falls two months ago.

Nice track, some interesting greens (especially the 2nd hole), and a really decent back nine.

johnk

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 12:35:15 PM »
Re: Brora vs. Westward Ho.

Westward Ho! is a working museum.  I mean the course itself and the club - more than just the actual museum part of it.

Brora is a funkified version of Westward Ho.

Both have a musty feel that you won't experience everyday, and it is good.  Perhaps like visiting a cheesemonger who has you taste un-pasteurized cheese.  The slight difference is that Westward Ho has been the official un-pasteurized cheese supplier to the royal family...

You could play either course many, many times and never tire, because they are great clubs, and your soul would appreciate it.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 12:37:46 PM »
Here's a great photo from Westward Ho!, with the greenkeeping staff adding a new bunker in the time honored fashion. Progress is slow but steady.

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 12:50:57 PM »
... with the greenkeeping staff adding a new bunker in the time honored fashion ...

Not to mention fertilizer ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 01:04:52 PM »
for anybody who has the inclination, i posted quite a few pictures about in late may/early june of westward ho - i think the post was something to do with west country. both are fabulous courses, but westward ho certainly wins on the clubhouse front.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:06:01 PM »
By the way the international membership was 50 poun ds initiation fee and 110 pounds a year.  
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back