News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

The Best Tree in Golf
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:00:23 AM »
Tom Paul is entirely right on the other thread ... doing one without the other, one comes across as if there is no such thing as a good tree on a golf hole.

A good tree to me is the large tree to the right of the 18th fairway at Woodhall Spa in England.  It's about 350-400 yards off the tee, so it's far enough downrange that most people have options to try and play over it or hit a fade around it, if they've leaked their drive out to the right which they clearly shouldn't have done in the first place.  It's also too far downrange to drive right behind the trunk of the tree ... trees right in the landing area are fluky in this respect, because three feet to one side makes the difference between an open shot and a complete stymie.

Paul_Turner

Re:The Best Tree in Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 09:07:37 AM »
Tom

Thought you might pic that small one on the 14th at Ganton.

Are those on the 12th Wentworth West some of the first to be used as a forced carry off the tee?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:11:36 AM »
Not the best but how about that tree on #18 at Riverdale dunes? It was left so perfectly, for my hacklike self. TY

Unter der Linder #15 at BWR is as good as I have seen for perplexities. And #4 "Gottcha" has that one long of the bunker right, signaling to the aware, to play well left.

NLE #16 at Spy had those errie looking spanish moss covered beauts, guarding the green, so only the draw could work.

SFGC #10 has the trees left of the green framing the small window. ( I loathe the ones dictating the tee ball on #13, though)

And how remiss i would be if I didn't include the 18th at PB (just for chip) greenfront right. Narrowing the window and bring the pond into play. Genius! :-*

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:12:42 AM by Adam Clayman »

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:15:04 AM »
Persimmon Tree

Marc Haring

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 09:25:18 AM »
Paul.
I think these are the ones you were referring to. #12 Wentworth west.

John_McMillan

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:27:52 AM »
What about the apple trees to the left of 15 on Crystal Downs?  

Can't beat their placement for a mid-round snack on the stretch furthest from the clubhouse :)

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 09:39:48 AM »
The best tree on a US course was removed by Rees when he redid East Lake.

Like the tree on the 18th at Woodhall Spa, there was a single large oak on the 10th at East Lake about 400 yards on the right of the fairway. No other trees on the hole. The oak was well beyond the landing area, but it required you to approach the green from the left. Bunkering and OB on the left side made the tee shot extremely interesting/strategic.  

It was a wonderful, long par 4. Maybe the best par 4 at EL.

It is NLE. Rees rerouted the fairway, relocated the green and made the 10th into a vapid, short par 5.

My friends and I still talk about that tree.

Bob  

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:41:02 AM by BCrosby »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 09:40:08 AM »
17th hole at Cypress Point

16th hole at Harding Park

SPDB

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 10:02:26 AM »
The Sunningdale Oak; it's nice to look at as you're playing the hole and doesn't disturb the play.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 10:12:35 AM »
The monster about 50 yards short/right of CPC's 14th green.  Mystical, and out of play.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 10:17:47 AM »
The monster about 50 yards short/right of CPC's 14th green.  Mystical, and out of play.

Mike

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 10:18:08 AM by Brian_Gracely »

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 10:19:12 AM »
Out of play?  For whom?

TH
proud depositor of two golf balls into said tree

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 10:31:02 AM »
I think I'm one of the few fans of #18 at CPC, and because of that I think the large tree left of the fairway (going up the hill) is great.  

Assuming you've played there more than once, and know what to expect, it should be in your head off the tee, because if you're too far left it'll potentially dictate your approach shot (very high approach, low approach, hooked approach, etc.).  But playing too far right off the tee brings all the pines on the right into play.  

I have to agree with my old friend Tom Ross that 18 at CPC is like the short closing chapter of a great novel, as it doesn't stir the soul like the rest of the story, but it gives you one last highlight and a reminder of the precision that had been required over the rest of the round.

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 10:37:52 AM »
Brian:

Great picture - very cool - thanks for posting.

And you're not alone in liking #18.  I dig it also, and I know there are a few others here who don't hate it.  But we are a minority, oh well.  In any case Tom Ross sums it up perfectly.

As for the trees, I suppose I could do without the one straight off the tee - that's a bit of overkill.  But the ones on both sides must stay, and take away the tree near the green on the left, it becomes a boring approach.

TH

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »
Paul:

I watched a lot of golf shots off the tee at the 14th at Ganton. In my opinion, that's one of the best little holes I've ever seen---there's just so much neat stuff going on on that hole architecturally and in combination---but for the life of me I just couldn't see what that tree added to the hole. I don't know that it detracted in any real way but if that hole didn't have that tree do you really think the hole would be less because of it?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 10:46:09 AM »

As for the trees, I suppose I could do without the one straight off the tee - that's a bit of overkill.  But the ones on both sides must stay, and take away the tree near the green on the left, it becomes a boring approach.

TH

I was looking at Scott's AOTD for CPC before I posted that last picture as I was wondering if #18 is a candidate for the most awkwardly aligned tee-box in golf.  And while it could have been placed along the line of where the current Cypress Point lookout (parking-lot) is, it's really not all that bad.  It actually lines up with the left edge of the fairway.  And a number of tees at CPC aren't "fairway-aligned", so its in character.  

So does that make the one tree a "worst tree" candidate, or a "best tree" candidate because while you're ultimately trying to land the ball in about the same spot in the fairway, you could draw, fade or fly the tree to reach that spot.....isn't that strategic choice??

THuckaby2

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 10:52:21 AM »
Damn good question.  I always just tend to try to picture the shot with and without the tree in question, and in this case it is very close.  You are absolutely right that the presence of the center tree off the tee does require one to make a conscious shot choice - and execute it - to have any chance at all at success on the golf hole.  And the choices aren't easy, and the execution is damn tough. I'm just leaning toward the idea that without the tree there, choices still need to be made - you still have to decide if you want to hug the right (making an easier approach, but bring more trouble into play on the tee shot) or bail left, which makes for a harder approach, bringing the green-side monster tree more into play.  So the choices are LESS, and the execution is easier, but not to an extent to ruin things, in my mind.  Given that the trees on both sides of the fairway are very much in play, and the green-side tree dominates all approaches (and the thought process on the tee with or without the center tree), well... the presence of the center tree does seem to me to be overkill.

But you know me, I am malleable, agreeable, shift with the political winds, am a first-class waffler, etc.  I could change my mind on this any second.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 10:54:03 AM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 10:54:28 AM »
I'd have to vote for the little one about 30 yards behind the 10th green at Dornoch, which also happens to be the only tree on the course (OK, for you purists out there, it is really 3 little trees....).

When one is "caught out" at the far end of the course and the haggis and/or cullen skink and/or multiple pints of ale the night before start giving a wake-up call to your large intestine, well, that tree is a godsend!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »
Brian,

The greatest thing about your pic of the 18th at CPC is the silhouette barely visible left of the flagpole.  For that reason alone it is one of the best golf photographs I've ever seen.

Mike  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 10:56:27 AM »
Brian,

The greatest thing about your pic of the 18th at CPC is the silhouette barely visible left of the flagpole.  For that reason alone it is one of the best golf photographs I've ever seen.

Mike  

Complete concurrrence there.  That shadowy figures dominates all golf, both at CP and elsewhere, in my mind.  And he's never been captured so brilliantly.

TH

Bill Gayne

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »
The huge oak in front of the Augusta National Clubhouse. The web of wires that they have holding this tree together is quite remarkable.

TEPaul

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »
"(Tom Paul, please catch on fire here)"

redanman:

Not a chance! I deal with single-minded architectural dolts without a scintilla of imagination everyday---both those who don't want to remove a single tree on a golf course as well as those who want to remove every tree on a golf course--it doesn't bother me an iota anymore!  ;)

Gene Greco

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
1.Though it is dead, the 16th at Cypress Point.

2. And among the living, the 17th at Cypress Point.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

DMoriarty

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 10:51:02 PM »
Hickory.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 11:40:31 PM »
The best tree in golf is no more since it died at Winged Foot East.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back