News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

Re:Where would you play if you had 1 round in Omaha?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 09:05:32 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the advice.  To be perfectly honest, I had ruled out Arbor Links because the other Palmer Signature courses I had played, had underwhelmed me.  I just looked at their web site www.arborlinks.com.  I have to admit, it looks very cool.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »
Maybe the folks who know can help me out but from all I have heard the general impression I have always gotten is that Firethorn is the premier golf course in the state save for Sand Hills. I have also heard it's one of Pete Dye's most underrated gems and generally plays as fast as a pool table during the height of the summer months.

Is that accurate or off-based?

I hope to visit the great plains sometime later this month and stop in the immediate Omaha area is indeed being considered.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2004, 06:51:09 PM »
Shivas:

Since you mentioned Rich Harvest Links on another thread maybe you can help me in knowing if the silly overhang of trees had been cut back on the short par-4 3rd and whether or not they still play that silly back tee on the dog-leg left par-3 4th?

Mark Fine said it best -- there are a number of unique and worthy elements to Rich Harvest -- but at times it borders on the burlesque of design with its unique playing angles and tees.

P.S. I still want to know about Firethorn because Chicago golf is really not in my cards now.

Cory

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2004, 07:51:10 PM »
In regards to Firethorn, I have read where Pete Dye has said that a couple of the par 4's are some of the best par 4's he has ever designed anywhere.  Now, I can't remember which par 4's they are, however, I agree with a statement above that said Firethorn is one of Pete Dye's more underrated courses.  There are houses on the course which takes a little bit away from the experience of playing Firethorn.  I would suggest that you try to play the original 18 and then play the new 9 that was added.  Have fun!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 07:31:41 PM »
I'll ask this again -- does anyone feel strongly that Firethorn is not the second best course in Nebraska. And, if so, why?

Thanks ...

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 10:00:59 AM »
Matt - Having lived in Nebraska all my life I would agree with the statement that Firethorn is the next best course in the state after Sand Hills. I remember first seeing it when I was like 12 and it felt like I was on another planet.

The second is one of the coolest par-4's ever. I would say that I couldn't give you a "weak" par-4 on that course except for maybe the first hole and that is a really good opening hole, I think.

It's a par-71 (only one par-5 on the back). The back nine is REALLY good.

If I ranked the Nebraska courses, I would put Wild Horse ahead of Firethorn only because I enjoyed WH immensely and I haven't played Firethorn in the last 10 years - couldn't really tell you how it has evolved. Firethorn will be more demanding of your game than WH in my opinion.

Hope that helps and you enjoy a good round in the Cornhusker State.

Tony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 10:01:16 AM »
That does it, I'm not going through NE again without a stop at Arbor Links... ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Cory

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 03:45:18 PM »
Check this site out on Firethorn  http://www.firethorngc.com/main.html

Dye said that holes 11-14 are possibly the best 4 holes he has put together is a row.

Bill Kubly

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 06:36:06 PM »
David,

If you are interested in playing ArborLinks and I end up being in town that weekend, would you like me to join you for 18?  I am not sure of my plans yet, but I am always looking for an excuse to drive down there from Lincoln.  Let me know if you are interested.

SPDB

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »
David - I was curious what you came across in your travels to Omaha. I will likely find myself there over Labor Day for a wedding, and I was curious where I should slip away to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back