News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Royal Troon 7th a par 4 for the ages
« on: July 15, 2004, 10:50:37 AM »
I love the postage Stamp and spoke for it a few days ago. We all note the 11th and its greatness. i find 7 to have so many attributes of greatness. The elevated tee gives one a false sense of security for a drive that has several options. A well traped fairway to a green that is just perfect and well defensed. I have always loved this hole.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:35:45 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Mike Benham

Re:Royal Troon 7th a par 4 for the ages
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 12:04:02 PM »
On the caddies recommendation, I played a 4-iron down the middle and a little knock down 8 iron to a front right hole  location ... but the options are numerous ... a fun hole ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 12:33:43 PM »
Great pictures Mike.  Did you happen to get any from the lower tee to the left?  The upper tee gives an excellent view of the hole and the bunkers.  From the lower tee, you almost think the 8th green is the 7th green.  I think it was also about 30-40yds longer.  

I forgot to investigate, but does the green extend all the way back (and around) the dunes?

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 12:40:30 PM »
Yes, the lower tee is a different perspective and makes it a much more difficult tee shot ...

I do not believe that the green wraps around much more than the picture shows ...

Mike

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 01:01:04 PM »
Great hole, yes indeedy.  And I'm with Mike, I sure don't think the green raps around to the right any more than his damn fine pic shows.  But hmmm... a back right pin placement would add some spice, no?

BTW, a wonderful way to play the hole is to dribble an attempted stinger 2iron off the tee into the crap, luckily find it and take an unplayable onto the foot path, then rip a wood from there over the dune onto the front of the green.

Not that anyone would actually do that.  No, never.

;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »
Great hole, yes indeedy.  And I'm with Mike, I sure don't think the green raps around to the right any more than his damn fine pic shows.  But hmmm... a back right pin placement would add some spice, no?

BTW, a wonderful way to play the hole is to dribble an attempted stinger 2iron off the tee into the crap, luckily find it and take an unplayable onto the foot path, then rip a wood from there over the dune onto the front of the green.

Not that anyone would actually do that.  No, never.

;D

and there are some who say you aren't the best links player alive today ...

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:20:15 PM »
Not to ruin any potential bets or anything, but if I am in that category, good lord does the world suck at links golf.

;D

I just examined my card from that fateful day at Troon...

I want a piece of Weiskopf!

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 03:34:36 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures. It is fun to challenge the bunkers. the green is long and hugs the dune but does not wrap.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 03:38:09 PM »
Oh the White House in the background is a Hotel/Manor House that makes for an option other than the Marine Hotel and other hotel across the street.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back