News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ken Fry

Steve Melnyk as an Architect
« on: June 13, 2004, 03:52:10 PM »
Whether you liked, disliked or have never seen one of his courses, what ever happened to Steve Melnyk Design Associates?  Who was his primary designer?  How active was he?

I lived in Atlanta in the early '90's and he had a couple courses opened under the "Champions Club" designation.  They have all gone through financial issues if I'm not mistaken.

Dave_Miller

Re:Steve Melnyk as an Architect
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 06:07:10 PM »
Whether you liked, disliked or have never seen one of his courses, what ever happened to Steve Melnyk Design Associates?  Who was his primary designer?  How active was he?

I lived in Atlanta in the early '90's and he had a couple courses opened under the "Champions Club" designation.  They have all gone through financial issues if I'm not mistaken.

K:
I have no idea what happened to Steve Melnyk Design Associates.  Were the clubs that had problems daily fee or Private.  
Where is Wayne Morrison when we need him ;D.  I'll bet he knows the answer ;)
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Ken Fry

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 09:11:40 PM »
The clubs in Atlanta were all daily fee.  There were three total; two Melnyk designed and one they acquired and placed under the "Champions" name.  I believe all but one have been re-named.

Had Melnyk done any work designing prior to this?  Did someone else do the designs for him, and if so, who?

Melnyk drove by me in a cart one day while I was playing but I didn't know if if his involvement was name only or more.

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 09:27:28 PM »
Devictor-langham landplanners were his architects.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:39:51 AM »
As Mike Young wrote, D.J. DeVictor did the design work for the two Melnyk courses here in north Atlanta.  They were named "Champions" originally, now both are called Trophy Club.  Both are semi-private, and would probably be considered by most to be good deals from a membership price, bad deals from a daily-fee side.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ken Fry

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 06:47:55 PM »
Mike & A.G.,

Thanks for the replies.  Do you know how much Melnyk was involved with these two projects?  Was his affiliation with Devictor-Langham a short term set up?

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 08:03:35 PM »
yes it was
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Frank_Stanger

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 08:54:35 PM »
If I am not mistaken, Arvida, Florida's largest master-planned community developer, bought Melnyk's design firm (and his services) some time in the late 90's. Was it called Riverside Golf at that point?  Anyway, the relationship didn't work and The St. Joe Company (who owned Arvida) took their golf course development projects in a different direction.

Note, however, my memory may be faulty on this one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back