News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

james soper

George L. Coleman Invitational
« on: April 21, 2004, 10:06:57 AM »
The George L. Coleman Invitational begins this week at
Seminole Golf Club. Good luck to all.

TEPaul

Re:George L. Coleman Invitational
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:14:14 AM »
I remember in one of the first Colemans---probably in the very early 1990s there was this returned amateur from Minnesota named John Harris who hadn't played much competitive golf, if any, in quite a while. He came down to the Coleman, won it and went on that year to win the US Amateur and some other top tournaments and obviously to get named to the Walker Cup where he was extremely successful and central.

Being as early as it is will the Coleman jump start this year's winner the way it did Harris to go on to some top level of amateur golf this year?

ChasLawler

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »
What are the specific dates, and do they allow any spectators?

I'll be in Ocean Ridge this weekend and might be able to find time to take a look if possible.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 11:04:32 AM »
Cabell:

Last time I was there they didn't. Seminole has a permanent gate and a permanent guard at the entrance to the club out on rte 1 and they don't allow other than those going to play the club in there. But I never saw any spectators at the Coleman but maybe that was because no one was interested!  ;)

james soper

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 11:10:12 AM »
Thursday through Saturday.

rgkeller

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 11:19:20 AM »
What are the specific dates, and do they allow any spectators?

I'll be in Ocean Ridge this weekend and might be able to find time to take a look if possible.

Pull up to the gate guard and tell him that you are going to Seminole to watch the Coleman and see what happens.

ChasLawler

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 11:25:20 AM »
I'm not down in that neck of the woods too often, so it seemed like there might be a possibility, but oh well.  It's supposed to be a romantic weekend away with the Mrs. anyway, so it's probably better that I steer clear of this one.

Tom - I have to admit I'm not too interested in the tournament itself, but it would be nice to at least see the course.  Apparently my invitation to the Coleman got lost in the mail.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 05:31:24 PM by Cabell_Ackerly »

ChasLawler

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 11:29:25 AM »

Pull up to the gate guard and tell him that you are going to Seminole to watch the Coleman and see what happens.

I thought of that, and figured it wasn't worth my time to drive up there anyway. However, if I happen to find myself in North Palm Beach, I just might pull up to the gate. What's the worst that could happen - the guard tells me "no".

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 11:45:11 AM »
Every time I've tried to get in I tell them that I'm looking for Tom Paul's dog.  It has never failed me.

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 01:17:10 PM »
"Pull up to the gate guard and tell him that you are going to Seminole to watch the Coleman and see what happens."

rg:

If you did that the guard would be very polite about it. He'd open both gate arms, tell you to swing right around the guardhouse, take a left on rte 1, right a couple of lights down and catch I95 on down to the West Palm airport, take a plane to Texas, head out to  the cemetary where George Coleman is buried and watch him as long as you want because he's not going anywhere any time soon!  

Brock Peyer

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 05:18:11 PM »
 It's supposed to be a romantic weekend away with Mrs. anyway, so it's probably better that I steer clear of this one.

Cabell, does your wife like it when you refer to her as "Mrs. Anyway"?

Have a great weekend.

ChasLawler

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 05:30:51 PM »
Brock - touché'...only a grammatical error, it will be fixed momentarily, but I doubt she would appreciate it.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 08:04:50 PM »
Cabell, sorry, I had a tough day at the office and just had to pick on somebody.  Have a great weekend.  I think that my wife and I could use one of those weekends too.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 08:15:33 PM »
I know, I know! I just got my invitation in the mail!

I'm really excited about the tournament!

James Edwards

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 08:43:18 AM »
Rich,

Im concerned, did you find the dog after all that??
@EDI__ADI

ForkaB

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2004, 08:51:30 AM »
James

Nobody, even TE Paul himself, has ever found his dog ("Cooreshaw") on any golf course, nor would they ever want to!  As you may or may not know, Cooreshaw suffers from a chronic case of diarrhea, which is so bad that Richard Tufts devoted a separate section to the poor critter in his little book ("Chapter 169:  Loose, and I mean REALLY loose, impediments....").

Because of Cooreshaw's well documented affliction, it is well known in proper East Coast golfing circles that anybody willing to even try to find Tom Paul's dog will get the freedom of any course, particularly including Seminole, for reasons that I will not go into on a family website......

All the best

Rich

James Edwards

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2004, 08:57:16 AM »
Thank you for the update...

Does that give a new meaning to the 'SOFT' shot, or the explosion shot??
@EDI__ADI

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back