News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

FREEMAHC

PGA Tour players already complining!
« on: March 11, 2004, 08:34:30 AM »
The tournament hasn't even started and we're already hearing mumblings from the players.....plus I heard at least one top player withdrew because of the course setup

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=15101&select=12279

Gene Greco

Re:PGA Tour players already complining!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 10:25:16 AM »
Wait 'til these cry babies see Shinnecock!

A thorough spanking awaits them all!
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 10:28:29 AM »
And they better not bring that "balls are rolling off the green if you hit the wrong spots" crap down to Pinehurst next summer.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:28:48 AM by Brian_Gracely »

FREEMAHC

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 10:29:23 AM »
Thing is - they won't complain that much about SHinnecock, because it's the US Open. I like the quote that said something to the effect of "You won't see the Pro's having any fun come sunday" Since when were they supposed to have fun every round anyway. Your tournament does not have ot becalled the US Open to make it tough. The pros should quit whining and just accept the fact that a score close to par is good this week.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »
I took a quick look at the current leaderboard - the scores seem as low as normal.  Most people under par, lead is at -7.  Curtis Strange is bringing up the rear.  :)

Pete

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 12:54:23 PM »
I like the quote that said something to the effect of "You won't see the Pro's having any fun come sunday"

They are playing for $800-900k
They are essentially playing for free
They get all their equipment for free
People cheer no matter how mediocre they play
They and their families get pampered all week

What part of this isn't fun?    

FREEMAHC

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 01:00:01 PM »
Brian - pro's can't shoot over par, it's a rule, and they are not alloed to work at all. They should be able to reach all par 5's in two, hit nothing longer than a 7 iron into a green, and always, let me stress ALWAYS, be able ot stop a ball within 4 feet of it's original ballmark.

If they can't do that, then no one has fun, and fans aren't allowed to come watch them play, because it would be too embarassing.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:43:57 PM »
Looks brutal...right now there are only 59 guys under par, led by "C. Petersson", who finished at only -9.   ::)

dfrey

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »
Poor PGA players.........I guess that 63 today equates to Miller's in 73'.....seeing how hard this course is.  What a joke! :(

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 01:51:58 PM »
FWIW:

Petterson hit 6 of 14 fairways, and 13 of 18 greens in regulation, in his 63 today -- and had 22 putts.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

FREEMAHC

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 02:06:35 PM »
Those are some odd stats, amazing that he shoots 69 with that happening, unless he was right on the first cut of the fairway and the fringe a whole lot...

Anyway, i wanted to mention that Petterson plays out of The Heritage, the #67 course in NC accoring to the other post. Just a tidbit of info for you

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back