News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Turner

Split fairways
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
The 18th at Southerndown (see pg 338 in Confidential Guide for a pic) has a fairway split with a ridge creating a two decked fairway; it works well.

Matt_Ward

Split fairways
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2001, 08:43:00 PM »
The 11th at Huntsville / Wilkes Baare, PA area (designed by Rees Jones) is a classic example of a split fairway that works from either side depending upon your ability level and choice of play.

Ben C. Dewar

Split fairways
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
1st at Devil's Pulpit, downhill par five.

Scott,
Which hole at PGA West?  11?

Regards
Ben

BillV

Split fairways
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
14 at Huntsville doesn't works ok.  (Small fairway near right side of green)

11 on the risk side (left) of the fairway leaves you a more demanding, semi-blond  approach shot, the longer right side is nearly unreachable, so it's no advantage in my opinion.  If the green were more receptive from the left the hole would work better.  Maybe the crew built the green wrong?

Bradley Anderson

Split fairways
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
Number 15 at Shoreacres is my favorite split fairway.

The River course at Kohler has a grand scale split fairway, but there seems to be no reason for taking the upper route.

15 at Shoreacres gives two routes, and they are each linked to the pin placement, which I think, is the only way to measure weather a split fairway is legit, or mere eye candy.

You can see 15 on this site. Check it out.

Doug Wright

Split fairways
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
#9 at Whirlwind (New Gary Panks S of Phoenix, a longish par 4, works pretty well. Right side tee shot can be shorter and is safer but leaves a longer second shot; left side is a longer tee shot and must carry some bad stuff and a bunker to the fairway but leaves both a better angle and a shorter second.

Agree with DB3 re Talking Stick #12. No point in going left there. That seems to be the problem with other split holes I've seen--the penalty isn't worth the gamble, a/k/a the reward isn't worth the risk.

BillV Castle Pines #2 is not split; #3 is as you say (a barranca in the middle), and I think works pretty well--the pros have used both sides, often depending on pin position. I don't recall the split fairways on CC of Castle Pines.    

Twitter: @Deneuchre

rjbay

Split fairways
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »
I sound like a real minority in that I don't particularly like any of the split fairways that I have played over the years. It almost always seems that they are there just to be in vogue, like most of the double greens built post 1980, and the obligatory redan hole. Much prefer a fairway that curves and allows you to bit off all or very little of a hazard, like #6 at Pine Valley. This makes all levels of player make a decision. Most split fairways I have played are easy for the long hitter and doesn't even tempt 90% of the players, who are unable to carry to the preferred spot.  

TEPaul

Split fairways
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2001, 06:15:00 PM »
I think what Archie said above is the real problem with many split fairways--the high risk/reward route is no real problem for most good players and that route is NOT a realistic option for most other players. This is basically what Doak meant, in my opinion, that to be a really good concept it should somehow be available and doable for most players.

Obviously the most reasonable way to design something like that is to make it more accuracy related than distance related!

BillV:

On Seminole's #15, I think you mean the right fairway requires more distance (over the lake) not the left fairway.

TEPaul

Split fairways
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2001, 06:25:00 PM »
I like Huntsville but the fairways on #11 are very much split!! They are more than that they are very much alternate. The basic design however is ill conceived. The risk/reward on the left option doesn't really make that much sense.

#14 Huntsville is an alternate or split fairway with nothing much to choose from. On the second shot you either go for the green in two (which not many golfers can do) or you go left to a bit of a cumbersome fairway and angle. I played the course about four times before I even noticed that there was a fairway at the base of the hill (on the right). That is almost a no option option. It's not a bad idea to have a fairway down there but it needs to be about five times larger than it is to be reasonable. Basically a good concept but the way it's done is not very good!

Patrick_Mucci

Split fairways
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
rjbay,

Have you ever played the 8th at National ?

JamieS

Split fairways
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2001, 06:09:00 AM »
BillV & Tom,
I agree with you 100% on the 11th at Huntsville...the left side just doesn't work.
The fairway ends abruptly and you have a very poor angle to the green after hitting what I thought, was the tougher of the two tee shots.
I also thought that they missed a really neat opportunity on the holes across the street to incorporate those old stone walls that run through that area.

M.W._Burrows

Split fairways
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Wait until Friar's Head opens.  If memory serves me correct there are a few incredible split fairway holes that were to be completed. I believe they are 2 and 13, but there may be more I'm forgetting.  Nonetheless, strategy on every hole!

rjbay

Split fairways
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
Never lucky enough to lay National. I am looking forward to the chance. Still ambivalent on split fairways as my personal experience leaves me wanting a little better reason to do it!

jim_lewis

Split fairways
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
BillV and Doug:

The 4th at the CC of Castle Pines is not split (unless they have redesigned the hole after I left the club). You may be thinking of #5, a long, difficult par 5 with a cluster of about 6 pine trees right in the middle of the landing area off the tee. Rather than try to decide which side of the trees to play to, most of us just aimed at the trees and took our chances. The right side is the preferred side butis a very dangerous play because it is bordered on the right by a disasterous over-grown ditch. The trees should be removed as they add nothing to a hole that is already one of the toughest par 5's I have ever played. Unfortunately, I was a minority of one (as ususal) among the members.

The 15th is technically a split fairway I suppose. It is a very long (450-480yd) slightly uphill par 4. A ditch and a 30 yard-wide strecth of rough run diagonally in front of and along the left side of the green. There is a small fairway about 40 yards deep directly in front of the green. Better players always play directly at the green. However, there is also a much larger fairway left of the ditch. Many shorter hitters play the hole as a short par 5 and play their second shot to the safer left fairway leaving themselves about an 80-100 wedge for their third shot to a very difficult green. It is the toughest hole on the course and the only hole I never birdied while I was a member.

"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

TEPaul

Split fairways
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
rjbay:

It seems to me there are an awful lot of people who think very highly of you and what you're doing! I really don't think you'll need to get lucky to go to the National. If that's what you really want to do it shouldn't be much of a problem.

TEPaul

Split fairways
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
Guys:

Face it, a real split or alternate fairway  may be the best and simplist way to reeducate the golfing public to the interest and benefits of options, choices and real strategies in golf design.

After about 50 years of a lot of one dimensionalism and shot dictation, a real "in your face" tee shot choice may be very effective!

Scott_Burroughs

Split fairways
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
Ben,
  I don't remember which hole at PGA West, I just remember it when the Skins Game was held there several years ago.

Mike_DeVries

Split fairways
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
RJ,

Originally, the 1st at Kingsley was to play around the base of the hill to the left, without an upper plateau landing area on the right.  But, as we pushed material down to reconstruct the second landing area (former 2 acre, flat gas well site) and worked the hill down for a visual to the green from the tee, we built a landing area so there was another option on the hole and built in the bunkers.  One of the owners really wanted a landing shelf on the right to allow you a better option of staying up there and we massaged it until it seemed right.  All in all, I was very worried if it would turn out okay and I am very pleased with the playability, look, and options provided for in the result.  I am really happy with the contours of the second landing area -- they feel just right and very appropriate.  In total, hole #1 was about half of the dirt-moving that we did on the course and it is a very good hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back