News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

The first hole
« on: October 12, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
I was at Pinehurst the other day, and as I looked down the first hole of Course 2 I was reminded that it is probably my favorite first hole of any course I have played.  It's certainly not the best opening hole in golf, but there is something about the way the hole sweeps down and left to that green, left bunker, and drop-offs on all sides; it seems to be a perfect preview for the rest of the course (is that the function of a first hole?).

My other favorite first holes are at Merion, Muirfield, Yale, Prairie Dunes, Pasatiempo, Yeamans Hall, and Salem.  The atmosphere at #1 at TOC is probably better than the hole itself.  Before the clubhouse at Banff was moved, the first tee shot there was spectacular.

I'd love to read your opinions:  What are some of the other great first holes out there?  Has anyone ever seen a course where the first hole was the BEST hole?

Patrick_Mucci

The first hole
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2001, 06:04:00 PM »
Chris B,

I think the first hole at NGLA fits your description.

I could play that hole 18 times, then go play all 18 to conclude my thirty six hole loop.

The Problem is, you could probably say that about every hole at NGLA.

T_MacWood

The first hole
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
Sand Hill's first may be the best hole on a course full of great holes. I also love the first at Cascades, Oyster Harbors and Scioto.

Adam_Messix

The first hole
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2001, 06:58:00 PM »
Pat--

I completely, totally agree with you, especially if you change the hole location for each of the 18 plays of the 1st hole at National. There are so many great hole locations.  You are right about most of the holes at National being that way.  How about 18 different playings of #4 and/or #6.  That 6th green there is one of the neatest I've ever seen.  

Then again, the 1st hole at Shinnecock Hills is awesome as well.  Just looking down from that tee at what lays in front of you is an incredible feeling.

I also like the opener at Wade Hampton.  That hole just lays out there in front of you...and surprisingly, plenty of strategy.  

Scott_Burroughs

The first hole
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
#1 at Princeville/Prince is one of the best and most treacherous first holes I've played.  Best to have hit a few on the range when starting on this one.

Gib_Papazian

The first hole
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2001, 08:12:00 AM »
The first hole at Spyglass has to be right up there for most awesome opening gambits.

#1 at NGLA doesn't count for two reasons:

A. It was originally the 10th hole.

B. Because no matter where they put the pin, it is impossible to two-putt unless your last name is Mucci or Paul.

Actually, it is the best short par four in the universe, but I won't bother starting that discussion again.

For HARDEST, I wonder if the opener at Oakmont isn't the all-time winner for unnecessary roughness right out of the box.

The other shorty that comes to mind as a superb opener is #1 at Garden City. What a cool hole to start a playoff.

Tim_Weiman

The first hole
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »
Chris:

If you're looking for something dramatic, #1 at Spyglass ranks right up there.

Tim Weiman

Tim_Weiman

The first hole
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Gib:

I see we don't disagree about all things in Monterey.

Tim Weiman

Dennis_Harwood

The first hole
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Given the teeing grounds location virtually on the patio of the mens grill, the first at Capilano is pretty special-- And I don't remember much about the hole after the tee shot other that its a shortish par 5 toward downtown Vancouver

There is also something majestic about the 1st at Shinnecock from the hill just below the Stanford White clubhouse, overlooking a good part of the course--

(Sounds like I have something for clubhouses.  I really couldn't care less at most courses, but sometimes they do influence the first hole, at least in my mind)

aclayman

The first hole
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
Surprisingly I could only come up with two. My first thought of something great went to Cypress point and what one feels like when they cross the road. The anticipation of the meal set before you made me feel giddy.

My next thought was of the first at Blackwolf Run's River course which snakes along mimicing the river that welcomed you to that special, original course and place.

Cory Worrell

The first hole
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2001, 09:44:00 PM »
Sand Hills #1 is a great start to an incredible 18 hole journey.  Just look at this sites description and pictures of SH #1 and you can see why.  Incredible!

Paul_Daley

The first hole
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
I wouldn't call it a great hole, but one of my favourite openers is the 1st at Kingston Heath. Originally the hole played as a par five, but today it is a long 418 metre par four.

I usually have a low opinion of such an examination first up, but because of the gentle climb up the hill, the open-planned views across The Heath, its challenging downhill 2nd shot, seldom does the setting fail to create a great mood within the group. To the club's credit, the hole is such fun most golfers forget how difficult it is. Play it well and you are odds on to make a bogey, commit a couple of sins and you can still make an easy bogey. It is rated index 2 or 3, so most players get a stroke to begin. I suppose it might be called a classic par four-and-a-half?

From the tee, the fairway appears deceptively wide-open. All too often though, the trees jump up and grab your ball down the left, or following an early morning loosener - bunkers loom to the right.

Given that most good players are hitting
a long-iron into the green, golfers are greeted by a corresponding huge target. All in all, a tough but fair start to the round.

TEPaul

The first hole
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2001, 12:30:00 AM »
I agree that all those first holes mentioned are terrific and for various reasons.

Although it might not exactly be my favorite type hole to open on and sort of slide into the round I think the 1st at Pine Valley may be the best I know about because it can do so many things--fulfil so many functions, so to speak.

Interestingly, although I'm not real sure of this, #1 may have been where Crump actually started his planning/routing/construction etc, etc, which is quite interesting, but it was also planned by him as a "playoff" hole (and one very decidedly designed to cut off playoffs)!!

But the hole in and of itself is a beautiful thing to behold and a demanding, thoughtful and dangerous thing for almost anyone to play and strategize on! The hole certainly isn't short and there is plenty of opportunity and tons of meaning in either playing it conservatively and aggressively!

Basically, if you want to play it very  conservatively (and many do) you should be able to make a bogie fairly easily and maybe a par. But it you choose to play it aggressively you may make a birdie or a par but your chances then of making some other really horrible number quite easily increase dramatically!

The green and green approach has got to be one of the most interesting, thoughtful and potentially intense greens and surrounds one could find anywhere. The enormous triangle shape of the green with wide front, narrow back and the progressive narrowness, progressive danger (fall-offs into the woods) as it moves from front to back is like no other I've ever seen. So basically the conservative front play to the aggressive back play spans the strategic spectrum of a green and the green-end of a golf hole about as completely as I've ever seen too. The strategic ramifications of the green and green-end are enormous and plays unbelievably well into the entire spectrum of match and stroke play.

Having said all that, personally I prefer the shorter more "get into the round" type of first hole. But I guess one could say that PVGC's #1 could be considered sort of an apropos introduction to what's to come at Pine Valley, so it's characteristic and representative that way.

It's not as scary in match play for a "get into the round" hole because like most I figure if you lose it there's plenty more to go, but in stoke play it's one of the most  intimidating holes to open on in the world.

Far from getting into the round you can get knocked out to the round right here and if you're doing something like trying to qualify for a Crump Cup you can sort of get knocked right out to the weekend here too and that has probably happened to almost everyone, no matter what level. Talk about a hole that weighs on your mind opening up in stroke play and one you let out a sigh of relief on if you get past it OK!

But again, the strategic ramifications of playoffs, particularly playoffs with a larger number of participants depending on the spots is one of the most fascinating things you've ever seen and one that you can almost do the numbers on before teeing off and then play accordingly. And it's all due solely to this hole, it's design and all that it is!

And I think all this can go a long way to making the case with what the hole is and what it can do, it might be the best on the golf course and maybe the world!

Don_Mahaffey

The first hole
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2001, 03:45:00 AM »
Teeing off on the first hole always stirs up some emotions in me, most often anticipation, sometimes nervousness, and once in a while pure adrenaline excitement.  In the late 80’s my brother was the assistant super at Riviera and I took full advantage. I probably played a dozen times in those two years, most often a late afternoon game with him or a friend. The thing about the first tee at Riviera is you never seem to tee off without an audience, and it seems like it’s never totally quiet. That little tee, it seems like it’s in the building and it’s size, its downright claustrophobic. It has been over a decade since I played there, and I probably exaggerate the details, but that first shot, you knew you were in the presence of something special.
In June 2000 I was fortunate enough to play TOC. Being just a few weeks short of the Open, she was in magnificent form, with all the bleachers up, the turf perfect and firm, and the bunkers detailed to a razor’s edge. I only got to play her once, and I was in such awe that the first six holes are a fog ( I was a smooth +6). But, I do remember the tee shot at #1. Thank god its one of the easiest shots on the course, because I was so nervous I could barely get the tee in the ground. It had been decided that I would lead off our group, so I was ready when the starter told us to play away. I teed it up, tried to look my best during my pre-shot routine only to look up and see a young mother pushing a baby carriage on the path that crosses 1 and 18. I, of course, was going to wait for her to pass, the starter had other ideas. In a gruff voice he said again “play away” and he meant it. So, not only am I teeing off on the most famous course on earth, I’ve got to carry a mother and her baby, which by now are directly between me and the flagpoles, my intended line. I didn’t get all of it, but fortunately I didn’t kill anyone.  

Will E

The first hole
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2001, 05:32:00 AM »
Surprize.
PB Dye and Fazio can join in too.
#1 at Loblolly Pines

#1 (it may be #10 now) at Gateway in Ft.Myers makes my short list for great par fours. The green is one of Fazio's best. In fact this entire nine may be his best. I know, is that saying much?  

I don't know if I've ever seen a better starting hole that #! at Black Forest. The cart ride to the tee is the only drawback. As soon as you see the bunkering you know your in for a treat.

I like #1 at Oakmont, only if I've gotten to really warm up. No other course has a hole that says, "BRING IT" like this.

#1 at Garden City Men's is fun for reasons already mentioned.

ed_getka

The first hole
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2001, 05:51:00 AM »
As much as I like Pasatiempo, I don't feel it is a good opening hole, especially now that it is a par 4. Given the poor practice range set up and the narrow tree-lined fairway, #1 is not a fun way to start. #2 would be a better opening hole.
#1 at Cypress Point, High Pointe, Stevinson Ranch are holes that give a good feel of whats to come to me.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

T_MacWood

The first hole
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2001, 05:59:00 AM »
What is it about the 1st at Oakmont which makes it so difficult? It doesn't play particularly long, the green is relatively large and open, allowing for a short or running approach, in fact that is probably the the safest shot considering the greens orientation.

Will E

The first hole
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2001, 06:18:00 AM »
What makes #1 at Oakmont tough?
Tough fairway to hit.
A green that slopes away from you that makes it impossible to get your approach shot close.
Oakmont is one of the most difficult courses I've played. The first hole says to me that no matter how much game I think I have, Oakmont will win. This hole prepares you for what is to come.
Knowing that going in makes the day easier. You are prepared to be "screwed".
How Johnny Miller did what he did here is amazing.
Saying that you enjoy Oakmont makes you a little sick. Oh yeah, I like it.

Dan Kelly

The first hole
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
TEPaul --

Thanks for that terrific (I trust) description of Pine Valley No. 1. I felt as if I were playing it.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

The first hole
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2001, 06:28:00 AM »
Don Mahaffey --

Great little vignette from The Old Course.

Play Away! Well away!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

T_MacWood

The first hole
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
Shooter
The fairway is not particularly narrow, and because of the holes downhill nature even a low approach from the rough is relatively easy -- a low punch will run down to the bottom of the hill. Perhaps a difficult hole to birdie, but a relatively easy par, and nothing more than a bogey -- unlike many of the other par-4s at Oakmont. You are no doubt not a big fan of the green, since it is not perfectly flat.

Tommy_Naccarato

The first hole
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
Don,
My first tee off of the TOC was one I will never forget.

It was like a bus let off every tourist in Scotland, all standing around the R&A. I was a nervous wreck.

Here I was about to hit the shot I had dreamed about for a long, long time. It was my chance to laugh-back at everyone who laughed at my dreams and desires of playing the Old Course. This only added to the moment.

So what do I decide to do after waiting for this shot of a lifetime?????

I chickend-out and put the driver back in the bag and hit three wood up the right side, six yards from going into the swearving Swilcan Burn. But the fact I overlook is that I crushed it, albeit it was never my intended line of play! How could someone ever even think of a line of play with all of those people looking at you????

I felt I was standing out there stark naked. (And let me tell you that would be a horrifying sight.)

I was lucky I didn't trip over myself while leaving the first tee, but how could one do that when you are riding on a cloud?

I proceeded to go up hit the next one at the flag and watched it run 25 feet past the hole where I ceremoniously three-putted.  

The Old Gal has her way of getting her digs in too!

Paul Turner

The first hole
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned possibly the greatest opener of all: Machrihanish

Matt_Ward

The first hole
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
For toughness -- I'd pick the 1st Winged Foot West as a good candidate. It's got plenty of length, the hole is well protected on either side and the green is aptly contoured.

In 1974 Jack Nicklaus hit the green with his approach and had about 28 feet for birdie -- his next putt for par was about the same length on the other side of the hole!

For character sake the 1st at Merion / East is very neat. Ditto -- the 1st at Plainfield, Alpine and Somerset Hills in the Garden State. Also agree with TEPaul about the 1st at PV.

Regards,

Gib_Papazian

The first hole
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Tom,

You think #1 at oakmont is a relatively easy par? You have more game than me my friend.

My vote for worst opening hole in history is the first at Bodega Harbour GL.

Long, straight uphill dogleg right where the ideal line of play is over the corner of some houses. The fairway is a hideously contrived combination of fauz ski mogels and metal drains at the bottom of collection areas.

To make matters worse, the green is elevated even higher than the hill, guarded by deep bunkers and an undulating green.

Nice start to a run of four straight holes that climb at least 400 feet straight up.

After that, the course improves quite a bit though.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back