News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CHrisB

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« on: October 05, 2001, 04:36:00 PM »
I played a tournament at Palmetto GC recently and came away very impressed with the course (but not my own golf!).  The fifth green and the 15th and 16th holes (one of the trickiest par 4's I've played under 300 yards followed by a 212-yard par 3 with a tabletop green no more than 15 yards deep) are unlike anything I've played, there is a great set of par 3's, and although the course measures 6380 yards (par 71) the winning score of both regional amateur events that have been played there this fall (the Palmetto Am and Carolinas Mid-Am) was even par.  I'd very much like to hear what those who have seen the course think about it.  I believe that A. MacKenzie converted the greens from sand to grass in the '30s, so that would explain why they are so interesting!

In addition, a question about the par-3 #11: is it a Redan?  It certainly slopes from front-right to back-left, with a bunker left and drop-off right, but it is a drop shot of at least 40-50 feet (so everything is visible) and measures only ~165 yards.  

Thanks for the comments/info.

CHrisB

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
Has anyone played this course?

Mike_Young

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
I have played it.  Great golf course.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John_Ott

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
Played it last year and loved it. The pro shop sells a book entitled "The First 100 Years" which tells the story. I'd recommend Palmetto to anyone interested in golf.

RobertWalker

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
Palmetto is great. Back in 1994, we featured the 11th as a Great Golf Hole for the Journal. It is one of those "Great Golf Holes" that is truly GREAT. While the hole looks a little like a reverse redan, it more resmbles the Postage Stamp. (small green)Read David Earl's description of the hole in the August 1994 Golf Journal. Now, David Earl could write, I miss him!
Additionally, the clubhouse is a Stanford White design.
If you go to Aiken, don't pass up the chance to visit Palmetto.

John Butler

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 05:38:00 AM »
I have heard great things about Palmetto and would like to see the course.  In fact, I am visiting the Aiken, SC area later this week.  Is there someone at the club whom I could call about simply stopping by and possibly going out to see some of the holes?  Is the club hospitable to someone like me interested in golf course architecture?

RobertWalker

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Professional's name is Tom Moore. Do a Yahoo search for the tel #.

CHrisB

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »
Robert,

I think you are confusing #11 with #7; it was in fact #7 featured in the Golf Journal, and this is the hole that reminded Doak of Royal Dornoch; indeed an outstanding hole.  #11 follows the uphill par-5 10th and is a drop shot to a redan-like green (still wondering if it would count as a redan considering it is a drop shot); another super par-3, especially in the wind.

RobertWalker

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2001, 07:41:00 AM »
Chris,
You are right.
rW

Mason Wev

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Hello,

I have been fascinated by this hole for a while and to agree that I think you are talking about the 7th hole.  I found a picture of the 7th on a golf calendar I have and it has this description:

Built into the side of a steep hill (left to right), the 158 yard par 3 7th has no fairway at all.  The tee shot is struck to a small green shielded by a bunker on the front left and severe slope to the right.  Bob Jones called this "best nonwater par 3 in golf."

That type of praise makes anyone take notice of a hole.

John Butler

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
Robert Walker, I called Tom Moore and he welcomed my visit, so I am looking forward to going there this weekend.  Thanks.

RobertWalker

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2001, 02:01:00 PM »
Well, at least I remembered Tom Moore's name! Tell him hello for me (he might remember), but please don't tell him I confused the 7th for the 11th.

john_stiles

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
chrisb,

The 'Drop' hole (#11) might have some 'redan' flavor as you mention but does not play like a redan as you implied so I would call it a drop hole. It is definitely a fun hole but plays like it is named ....'drop'.

John Butler,

You will enjoy your visit .... all the holes are interesting.  Ditto what Mike Young said.

You should also visit 'Aiken Golf Club' on 555 Highland Park Drive 803-649-6029. It is  very close to Palmetto but cannot begin to give you directions. The course had recent renovation work and looks very interesting from the few holes you see from the road. It is public and I believe owned or operated by the city. Scorecard lists course yardage as 6048, par 70 and as founded in 1912. Shortest par 3 is 194 from tips (150 from middle tees) and there are 5 par 3s.   I was not able to tour the course on last visit to area. Please post a brief report on the 'Aiken Golf Club' -or- send your impressions to me at jstiles@demaximis.com. Have a fun trip !

John Butler

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2001, 05:25:00 AM »
Just returned from South Carolina.  I went to the Palmetto Golf Club and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Tom Moore was away, but Joe Armstrong was very welcoming.  He let me use a cart to tour the course.  I agree that #7 is a great hole - bunker left, small green, and drop-off right and back.  It does remind me of a par 3 on the front side at Dornoch.  The green sites look Augusta-like per MacKenzie.  Talked to some members too, including a former president of the club, and purchased the well-done club history.  The clubhouse is a classic, Stanford White, with lots of wood.  The club was most impressive and friendly.  I didn't make it to the Aiken Golf Club.  Earlier in the trip, I went around in a cart to see Yeamans Hall, CC of Charleston, Kiawah's Ocean Course, and, in Georgia, Sea Island's Seaside course and Ocean Forest.  Lots of driving but great fun!

Matthew MacKay

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2001, 08:00:00 PM »
Visited Aiken last spring and played Aiken Golf Club 5 times.  Wonderful golf experience, tons of fun and very inexpensive.  Management intent on returning course to it's original state and have done a great job.  Check out the stretch of holes 2,3,4.  Awesome.  Too bad weakest holes are #1 and #18.

cardyin

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
As with the Chicago Golf Club, Yeamans Hall, Camargo, etc., playing Palmetto is akin to playing golf in a museum. On the first tee,
a green (of a par 5; forget the hole) intrudes on the right and looks as if it's in play with a bad slice.  Then - Ben Hogan reputedly said holes 2,3 and 4 were the best consecutive string of par 4s he had ever played (although it seems Hogan said something to remember about everything.)
No. 7 is a gem, and it seems to me Robert
Trent Jones, Jr. may have had this hole in mind when he designed the first par 3 on the back nine at the Links at Spanish Bay in that they are similar in length and look.  I think it was the 8th, a very short par 4 up a steep hillside to a hidden green where the hillside was stepped to try to hold tee shots onto the side of it. As with No. 1, few designers would try that today. It is just a delight to play.
One of the times I was there, I was introduced to Bob Knowles.  He was aging at that time.  Bob Knowles was one of the finest amateurs of his time in the Northeast, and I'm told he bankrolled Sam Snead on the tour.
Tommy Moore has been at Palmetto for several years now.  He was an assistant to Mark Darnell at West Lake in Augusta.  

cardyin

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
As with the Chicago Golf Club, Yeamans Hall, Camargo, etc., playing Palmetto is akin to playing golf in a museum. On the first tee,
a green (of a par 5; forget the hole) intrudes on the right and looks as if it's in play with a bad slice.  Then - Ben Hogan reputedly said holes 2,3 and 4 were the best consecutive string of par 4s he had ever played (although it seems Hogan said something to remember about everything.)
Trent Jones, Jr. may have had this hole in mind when he designed the first par 3 on the back nine at the Links at Spanish Bay in that they are similar in length and look.  I think it was the 8th, a very short par 4 up a steep hillside to a hidden green where the hillside was stepped to try to hold tee shots onto the side of it. As with No. 1, few designers would try that today. It is just a delight to play.
One of the times I was there, I was introduced to Bob Knowles.  He was aging at that time.  Bob Knowles was one of the finest amateurs of his time in the Northeast, and I'm told he bankrolled Sam Snead on the tour.
Tommy Moore has been at Palmetto for several years now.  He was an assistant to Mark Darnell at West Lake in Augusta.  

cardyin

Palmetto GC (esp. #11)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back