News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Re:"They're the Fab Four of golf course design"
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 06:46:47 PM »
Brad, have we discussed this here before? I was at Watkins Glen, too. You're right, the vibe there was not anything like what I supposed Woodstock was like, though the music -- the Grateful Dead, the Band (interrupted by a rainstorm) and the Allman Brothers (hazy memories of that set, at best) -- was very good.

At least we set the attendance record -- 600,000.

Oh, and Garland -- Bobby Hebb did have the hit with "Sunny." It went to #2 on the charts in August of 1966. The Classics IV had hits with "Stormy" and "Spooky."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:48:54 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Brad Klein

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 07:27:58 PM »
Rick,

maybe we should continue this discussion offline. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression about my state of mind (so to speak) at the time.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »
Brad,

You're not suggesting you inhaled, are you  ;)

I'm going to have to re-visited your role in my education in golf course architecture over the past decade and more!
jeffmingay.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
Nicklaus, Palmer, Irwin & Zoeller.

Do I win anything?  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brad Klein

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 08:10:09 PM »
Jeff,

do you have any idea what life at SUNY-Binghamton was like in the early 1970s?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »
Thanks Rick,

I believe you are right. The Classics IV did cover Sunny though.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jay Flemma

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »
Jeff,

do you have any idea what life at SUNY-Binghamton was like in the early 1970s?

Yes, actually...the May 2, 1970 Grateful Dead/New Riders of the Purple Sage concert was one of the greatest in Grateful Dead history.

Brad Klein

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2007, 08:35:58 PM »
They stayed overnight on campus after the 6-hour show and showed up at breakfast the next morning/noon at Hinman Commons Dining Room. Too bad I didn't get there until Sept. 1971. I did land, however, on the concert committee and in my two years on the committee our bookings included Jethro Tull, Edgar Winters White Trash & Quicksilver Messenger Service, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Kinks, Jackson Brown, Delaney & Bonnie, New Riders of the Purple Sage.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:36:46 PM by Brad Klein »

paul cowley

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:15 PM »
Brad and Jay....I had no idea we had so much going on in common then....that was my neck of the woods.

I did know that TomD went to Ithaca...my dad taught at Ithaca College before moving to SUNY at Albany....but he was just a young pup compared to...I guess....us ::)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:43:50 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Brad Klein

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2007, 10:36:39 PM »
Paul, I'll date myself compared to Jay, since I taught Poli Sci at Trinity and just missed him -- was there on faculty '92 to 94.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
Actually, I think it refers to one resort course: Seaside GC at St. Simon Island GC:

H.S. Colt
C.H. Alison
Joe Lee
Tom Fazio

Brad

Wouldn't they be stretching it to include Colt? I tought it was just Alison who laid out the original Seaside.

BTW - that was my favourite spot in the South East before it was Ralph Lauren'd. One can argue the worth of Fazio's  revamp, but what's the point when I don't want to go there anymore, anyhow?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 12:50:10 AM by Lloyd_Cole »

CHrisB

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
Here's my entry. I need to get a life...

Chris, that is terrific! Could you give it to us in the context of the Sgt. Pepper album cover?

Steve,
Best I can do... This is when the Fab Four of Golf Design really started to evolve from their early style.

Pete Dye still does the occasional field visit wearing that outfit.

Steve Okula

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2007, 06:05:57 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if the American Society of Golf Course Architects got rid of those awful plaid jackets and adopted suits like those above?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »
Gleneagles?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »
I started to do a little poll (not done yet) and this thread almost fits perfectly.  I wanted to find out what average golfers knew about golf architects.  The only stipulation was that for their vote to count, they had to play at least 5 rounds of golf a year.  I didn’t ask people I knew (did some of the poll at the NJ Turf Grass Conf) or any of the 50 guys that are regulars on GCA  ;) The question was – Who is your favorite living architect?  

Got 19 responses so far – 6 votes for Tom Fazio (though two golfers said they never played one of his courses  ??? ), 4 responses of don’t know or couldn’t say, 3 Jack Nicklaus, 3 of Pete Dye, 1 of Art Hills, 1 of Rees Jones, 1 Eric Bergstol.  

After getting an answer, I threw out a couple names like Crenshaw (no one knew he was an architect) and Hanse (someone had heard of Gil, probably from the tournament broadcast).  Guess if you want to be famous, better to go into music  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:41:56 AM by Mark_Fine »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
Nobody's got it yet (although there have been some fabulous bands suggested).  If nobody gets it by 1:00 this afternoon, I'll give up three of the four and see who can guess Ringo ... it still won't be easy!

wsmorrison

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »
"do you have any idea what life at SUNY-Binghamton was like in the early 1970s?"

Brad,

One of my college buddies had a friend at SUNY-Binhamton.  We went up there in mid to late 1970s and camped around Lake Empire.  What a blast!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:18:37 AM by Wayne Morrison »

CHrisB

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if the American Society of Golf Course Architects got rid of those awful plaid jackets and adopted suits like those above?

The guy in the blue suit is actually playing some very good golf in South Africa this week. I heard he's gonna marry a tennis player...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2007, 01:07:31 PM »
Fill in the blank:

Nicklaus, Palmer, Fazio and ____________

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2007, 01:11:03 PM »
Trevino?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
Watson?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Player?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2007, 02:32:42 PM »
Jones
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »
Nobody has it so far.  It is a name that doesn't get a lot of discussion on this site.

Remember, he's got to be the architect of a course at a resort or club alongside Nicklaus, Palmer and Fazio.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »
Cupp
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back