News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re:Your Favourite Links and Three Chasers
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 11:23:02 PM »
RE: links course in the US

Been a decade since I played it so I'm certainly no authority, but the back nine at Pacific Grove surely seemed like an honest to goodness links to me.  Is there some list of criteria that officially defines a "links" that PG is missing?
My hovercraft is full of eels.

ed_getka

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2006, 01:38:00 AM »
I don't know if PG is a true links or not, (I think Peter Allen thought it was) it certainly has some holes on the back nine that look like links. Unfortunately more often than not the last few times I've played there it was far from F&F.
   Are the links that have been listed throughout this thread ever NOT F&F? Is there such a thing as an aerial game links, where the ground game cannot be counted on?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:40:24 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2006, 04:52:45 AM »
Sean,

You asked for favourite links rather than best links. This is obviously an entirely different question. This values enjoyment and location above test of golf. Memories can also play a great part in this decision. For example, one of my favourite links is Mullion on the Lizard peninsula in Cornwall - the southernmost course in the UK. We used to go down to Helford every Easter and it brings back great memories. The course isn't great although the location is stunning. This is more of a favourite of mine than Carnoustie although it is not in the same league as a test of golf.

My favourite links are St. Enodoc, Perranporth, Enniscrone and Machrihanish. The 'best' links IMO are Royal County Down, Dornoch, Turnberry, and Ballybunion.

Did you get on at Pennard on Saturday?

Ed

ForkaB

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »
Sean

I remember well a long discussion 4 1/2 years ago in a pub in Southampton after playing NGLA in the morning and Shinnecock in the afternoon.  Asked for my take by mein host I ventured that Shinnecock was clearly the "better" course but NGLA was much more fun to play.  I further added that the reason I thought Dornoch was so "great" is that it provides for both ends of that spectrum--fun and challenge.  More fun than Carnoustie or Muirfield or Turnberry or even the Old Course, but also more of a challenge than Machrihanish or North Berwick or Prestwick or even the Old Course, again.

Maybe that's why it did so well in this particular poll.

PS--when I chose my favorites, I tried to go for courses that had a good mix of fun and challenge, too..

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2006, 10:21:38 AM »
Sean

I remember well a long discussion 4 1/2 years ago in a pub in Southampton after playing NGLA in the morning and Shinnecock in the afternoon.  Asked for my take by mein host I ventured that Shinnecock was clearly the "better" course but NGLA was much more fun to play.  I further added that the reason I thought Dornoch was so "great" is that it provides for both ends of that spectrum--fun and challenge.  More fun than Carnoustie or Muirfield or Turnberry or even the Old Course, but also more of a challenge than Machrihanish or North Berwick or Prestwick or even the Old Course, again.

Maybe that's why it did so well in this particular poll.

PS--when I chose my favorites, I tried to go for courses that had a good mix of fun and challenge, too..

Wow... as the third party in that conversation, all I can say is I sure remember it differently.

But no matter - let's just say I continue to concur with the idea posited that day (which I sincerely believe was my own):  that the greatest of all courses are both a great test and great fun.  Shinnecock and NGLA crystallize the differences.  I've used this as a basis many many times in here.

And yes, the example you gave that day of a course having both - Dornoch - most definitely qualifies.

You remain a piece of work, Rich.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 10:22:07 AM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 10:54:19 AM »
Huck

I was sober that night.  As for you....... :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2006, 10:58:50 AM »
Rich:

Correct.  But I'm sticking with my guns.

;D

What the hell - it's a great way to look at golf courses whoever's idea it was.

So can we name any others, links or non-links, that meet this criterion (ie having both test and fun qualities)?

Sand Hills jumps to mind - that's why it's my #1 on earth - even though I do tend to prefer the fun to the test if I have to choose, it does have both in spades.

The Old Course?

There really aren't many....

TH

Andy Doyle

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2006, 01:04:56 PM »
Lahinch

The European Club
Waterville

Haven't played enough to have 3 chasers  :'(

AD

Andy Doyle

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
I am bit surprised by Lahinch though.  I don't see nearly as much hype about this course as the other three.

I have very limited links experience, but Lahinch is one of them and I enjoyed this course very much.  I agree this course doesn't seem to have much hype or get that much press.  I was surprised so many mentioned it in this thread.

What is it that people like about Lahinch - why was it mentioned so frequently as a favorite links course (or one of the chasers)?

Andy

Philip Gawith

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2006, 02:37:13 PM »
Dornoch

St Enodoc
Hoylake
Brora

- a very sentimental list. :)

JSlonis

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »
I think what's noteworthy is that Muirfield has only got one mention thus far (given it's commonly rated the top links course anywhere).

Deal

Hoylake
L'Ancresse
Wallasey

Since I was the lone proponent of Muirfield, I was also surprised that it got no other mentions as well, although I can fully understand why it might not be the favorite of many.  "Favorite" is a very subjective thing, and I think guys tend to enjoy the fun factor that a lot of the other great links courses possess.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2006, 03:05:53 PM »
Jamie:

I loved Muirfield, everything about it.  If you asked me for a list of "greatest" links courses, it would be up there for sure - because it's such a great test of golf, that makes up for any perceptions of lack of "fun" factor.

I just do err on the "fun" side - so ask me my favorite and it's not going to be up there.  These others just have more meaning to me, or are more pure fun.

I bet if you asked 100 PGA tour pros their favorite links course, Murfield would get at least 60 votes.  Don't mean to lump you in with them!  But it is the fairest test of any links I can think of, and that's what those guys tend to value, no?

TH

JSlonis

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »
Tom,

I would tend to agree regarding Muirfield.  While I love the quirk and charm of North Berwick and The Old Course, and the beauty and design of Dornoch, for me, Muirfield just presents the complete test of golf.  It's hard to list a favorite because there is something great about each course that can't be found at any of the others.  Maybe, it's my mindset because I'm used to playing competitive rounds, but Muifield just stood out to me.  On another note, to me, there is nothing comparable to standing on the first tee of The Old Course and hitting that first shot and then returning down 18 for the finish.  It's a magical place...probably my favorite "experience".

michael_j_fay

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Interesting the lack of Open venues.

I would rank them somewhat differently:
Royal Portrush
Royal St. Georges
Turnberry
TOC
Carnoustie
Prestwick
Hoylake
Deal
Royal Birkdale
Lytham and St. Annes
Musselburgh
Muirfield
Troon
Princes (NLE)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
TOC, Royal Dornoch, and Machrihanish chased closely by N. Berwick, Turnberry, Muirfield, Cruden Bay, Rye and St. Enodoc. My race has many great horses. Then Royal County, Portrush and Ballybunion come around and say play me as well. There are many more but this is the class of my stable

Doug Siebert

« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2006, 10:43:12 PM »
Sean,

I don't know why you are surprised that Machrihanish and St. Endoc didn't do very well.  Not because I think they aren't worthy, but because not as many people have played them.  I don't know where St. Endoc is, but I do know where Machrihanish is and while I really wanted to play it last time I was in country, it is just too damn inconvenient (though the info about the daily flights posted here last year has been filed away for me to look into on my next visit!)

We can only list links courses we've played, and I can only play so many on each visit, and each time I play a new one I may add another course to my list of 'really want to see again'.  That's my biggest problem with return visits, I'm torn between the urge to visit courses I played before and loved versus courses I haven't seen yet at all.  Next time I'm back in Scotland, do I take the time to visit Machrihanish and perhaps skip a third visit to Prestwick?  Maybe I toss out Turnberry since it isn't as good as Prestwick or as I expect Machrihanish may be.  Maybe I go back to Western Gailes or Troon.  Maybe you or Rich Goodale has posted some incredible pics from another course around there I hadn't ever heard of that I just gotta check out.

Its a real problem, I can see why Rich took the easy way out and moved over there ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2006, 03:44:13 AM »
Doug,

St. Enodoc is little visited by Americans due to it's location. It is situated on the stunningly beautiful North Cornwall coast in the far South West of England. That part of the world is very remote and peaceful (except in the main July and August holiday season!). Padstow, just across the estuary from St. Enodoc is a renowned culinary destination (with fish being the obvious speciality). I would strongly recommend a visit to this part of the world - it's a lot warmer than Scotland!

It's probably a 4-5 hour drive from Heathrow, but you can break up the journey by playing Burnham and Berrow on the way (approx halfway). Other superb courses in the area include Saunton (2 excellent links), Royal North Devon, and Perranporth.

Attached is a link to some photos on the St. Enodoc website. Check out the Himalaya bunker!

http://www.st-enodoc.co.uk/gallery.shtm

Ed
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 03:47:16 AM by Ed Tilley »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2006, 05:01:13 AM »
Sean

I'm visiting Padstow for a week in June.  

I'll be a singleton golfer as I'm on holiday there with my (non golfing) wife.  However she's having a day at the seafood cookery school so I've a free day in the agenda. Do you know if you can book tee times at StEnodoc as a single golfer or will they fix me up with a two/three ball if I ask them to?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Philip Gawith

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 05:27:46 AM »
Andrew - take your handicap certificate to St Enodoc, they are one of the few courses that actually ask for one.

Jamie/Tom - did you read in the interview with Ran how the Morrisett family collectively did not enjoy Muirfield and were happy to leave after one round? He did not, as I recall, explain why they were underwhelmed.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 05:35:34 AM »
Sean/Philip

Thanks for that - made me a little more determined to take my clubs (& handicap certificate!)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 05:36:04 AM by Andrew Mitchell »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2006, 04:02:06 AM »
I've booked a tee time at St Enodoc on Wednesday 21 June.  If anyone's in the area and would like to join me please let me know.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »
I'll go with Dornoch

Chased by:

North Berwick
The Old Course
Royal Cinque

I was thinking of including Royal County Down but I was 12 when iI played there so I can't trust my judgement.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
St. Andrews (Old)

Followed closely by:
Royal Dornoch
North Berwick
Royal County Down
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:46:42 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Mark_F

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2006, 07:17:18 AM »
Dornoch, for the reasons Rich espoused above, and also because it is such a special place, followed by

Macrihanish,
Royal Porthcawl,
Silloth on Solway

Burnham and Berrow a near miss for number three. A bit more rugged than Silloth, but a few plain holes in the middle.  

Thommo,

How did your short game fare at Dornoch?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »
There was one Open venue that inspired something like joy in me, rather than just respect, and that was Turnberry.  There's "real" history: Robert the Bruce's castle.  There's a sense that you're walking on special ground: use as airstrip, monument to war dead.  There's the atmosphere: lighthouse and ghostly Ailsa Craig.  There's a larger "Brigadoon" sense of improbability: the "return" of the course after WWII. And lastly there's the recounting during one's round of the best Open of the last 50+ years: Duel in the Sun.

Mark

Each to therir own - but I thought the course at Turnberry is one of the most over-rated links that I've played. #4 + #9 + #16 are good holes but the rest ?

Most people that I talk to about it always mention the scenery or atmosphere but when I ask what did you think of the course ? I don't tend to get much of a response.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back