News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

I get the feeling that majority of people on the discussion board are older and most of you guys belong to clubs, and you may need the cell phone for work purposes. I am a sophmore in college, entering the golf business and play collegiate golf. In all foursomes that I play in we always turn off our cell phones. For the main reason because we are there to play golf and not to talk to girlfriends, friends, parents, etc.. Personally I think the cell phone during the round is insulting. One of hte most important things about golf is the comradery with your fellow competitors, so think about that when your walking down the other side of the fairway barking away on your cell phone while your friends are walking by themselves. But hey maybe thats not what golf is about for you.

Andrew Summerell

We had a tragic situation on a course in Sydney a few months ago. In an Encourage Shield (junior mixed pennants) match, a girl was struck in the temple by a shanked golf ball. One of her playing partners had his mobile phone in his bag turned off. He quickly turned it on & called an ambulance.

Unfortunately, she died a few days later, but his quick action gave her the best chance she had.

I always carry my mobile phone in my bag, I just make sure it's switched off, because as I said before, if it rings or beeps or I take or make a call, I could be disqualified from the event.

A_Clay_Man

Thank You Andy Doyle,
And,
patrick, I'mnot advocationg their use Im just pointing out a need should it arise.
The usga should make a rule banning their use during any stipulated round, not just championships.IMO

Andrew Summerell

Has anybody ever 'had a go' at someone using a cell phone while on the course?

I've seen phones being used on the course a few times, but was never in a position to say something.

Andy Troeger

Andrew,
Your post reminded me of another situation, thankfully not as tragic...my team was having their tryouts this past summer when a guy in the group in front of our first group shanked a ball and hit my assistant coach and father in the knee. We were all walking and it was helpful to get him aid to have the phone instead of having to run all the way to the clubhouse.

That said, I never let the kids have their phones during practice and certainly not in tournaments, but I was glad that a couple of them had their phones in their bags.

Steve Pozaric

I have not used my phone in case of a medical emergency (I do know others who have), but I have used it to call the club house on several occasions when a cart has broken down or when I have seen idiots driving all over the course in their carts in violation of the posted rules.

I envy those people who have the types of jobs (that many apparently do here) that allow them to get away frequently during the week for hours on end without contact.  Usually I can get away, but every once in awhile, emergencies do come up.  I would love to hear and see my client's reaction to a voice mail message:  "I am sorry I can't take your call because I am playing golf.  If you need me, please call the club."  Somehow, I don't think I would have that person as a client for very long.  

Several have raised the question of what we did before cell phones.  The answer is things moved at a slower pace and people's expectations were at a lower level due to the level and use of technology.  Now, everybody expects things done instanteously as a result of emails and having documents scanned.  

In any event, I have a blackberry and believe I can use that w/o disturbing most people.  I would be curious as to people's thoughts about these.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:08:51 PM by Steve Pozaric »
Steve Pozaric

Patrick_Mucci

Thank You Andy Doyle,
And,
patrick, I'mnot advocationg their use Im just pointing out a need should it arise.
The usga should make a rule banning their use during any stipulated round, not just championships.IMO

Adam,

I've never had a problem with people carrying them, especially people with serious medical conditions.

The systemic problem seems to be their indescriminate use.
[/color]

Steve Pozaric

Pat:  I agree completely as to the indescriminate use.  It seems as a society, we are less polite than we once were.  Be it cell phones, driving behavior, holding a door open for others, common courtesy just seems to be lacking compared to what it once was.

Steve Pozaric

A_Clay_Man

well then, Pat's corrolation should work.
Considering the current state of club memberships in general, those with better golf course architecture shouldnt need to kiss butts, to keep members. while weaker designs might have to acquiesce.

Doug Siebert

If a club has a rule requiring you to turn off phones or leave them in the car or whatever, I've got no problem with that.  If I'm playing as someone's guest I follow that rule just as I'd follow any others they have whether I'm a guest at a club or in their home.  I don't allow anyone to smoke in or around my house, and smokers don't have trouble following that rule as my guest.  Its just simple manners to do as one's host asks.

However, without any rules to the contrary, I will carry my phone with me in my back pocket on vibrate so it makes no noise.  Usually I don't feel it vibrate (especially when its breezy) so if I may receive an important call I'll discreetly check it every few holes, and if I decide I need to listen to a message I'll do so when walking to my ball or waiting to play when I'm away from others.  The time taken to check a message is less of a disruption to the group than someone excusing themselves to the restroom.  I won't make or return a call unless I'm playing with people who are OK with it, and will do it out of earshot (for multiple reasons)  If the people I'm playing with have no problem with it, and it has no possible impact on anyone else on the course, I don't see the problem.

I realize the bans are necessary because some people are too inconsiderate or too forgetful to turn off or silence their phone when they arrive at the course, etc.  Believe me, I see the bad side of this during scrambles where people who only play a few times a year are just socializing and might take a dozen calls during the round and it can be pretty annoying.

I work as a consultant in high tech, mostly with large firms as clients, and for better or worse it just reflects badly on you in this field to be out of contact for half a day on weekdays.  They're fine with it if I'm able to return their call and tell them I'll get back to them later via phone or email.  I usually tell them I'm running errands since people stuck behind a desk don't always want to hear about other people doing what they wish they were doing ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bill_McBride

I say turn 'em off!  There is nothing more annoying than cell phones on the golf course.

Last year in our member guest, my opponent's guest was standing behind the 2nd tee while I was addressing the ball.  His cell phone went off!  He took the call.  It was a long match.  ::)

As somebody said here, what did we do before cell phones about staying in touch with the office?  We called after the round was over from the clubhouse.  I don't have a problem with that so long as it's discreet and quiet.

Dennis_Harwood

If all of those who advocate cell phones  and are contending they can only play golf if permitted to use those devices, the number of golf rounds should have increased dramatically in the past 10 years (Use of cell phones = more play)-- But that is not the case--

I like the Rule that use of a phone on the premises is an automatic loss of hole on the course and round of drinks in clubhouse + $150 fine for first offense --- suspension from club for second offense--

If the individual can prove its a true emergency, the board can waive the fine (but loss of hole and round of drinks sticks)--

If a true emergency, individual is happy to lose the hole (he should not be there anyway), or buy a few drinks,  but the number of "emergencies" shrinks to almost zero when proof is required to seek a board waiver and has the burden of proof to establish a true emergency--

I am amazed that on courses where the devices are permitted, and in theaters and waiting rooms, those using them never seem to grasp that everyone else should not be distrubed by their conversation, etc, and clearly impart that whatever it is they are talking about is more important than everyones peace and quiet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back