News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Pinehurst Golf
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 11:36:20 AM »
Question guys. I have some business in NC in the middle of March. I'll be just North of Charlotte. Given the courses mentioned, what's closest to get to? Also, what's the weather like that time of year?

Pinehurst in mid-March is average high of 62 and average low of 40.  You could also have snow or 80 degrees.

John Moore II

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »
Allan-regarding your question about Southern Pines, see my responses on this thread as to what we intend to do with the club.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=32571

David-In all reality, no courses are near to Charlotte, they are all about 2 1/2 hours away. Charlotte Golf Links is a Doak, perhaps you could look there. If you are willing to travel though, then just about every course in the Pinehurst area is about the same distance for you, not more than 4-5 miles difference.

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
"Ed-The site of the Dormie Club is nothing, there has been no land clearing or anything. "

Johnny M,

There has been quite a bit of work at Dormie Club.  While they are limited to working on 20 acres at a time, 6 or 7 hole corridors have been cleared and construction started on a few holes.  I can't seem to find my notes on which holes have begun.  You cannot see the work from the road, but the project is moving along very well and there is much to see if you are walking the property.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
Wayne is correct, the front part of the property (where the U.S. Open parking was) will not be used for the golf course.

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
Scott,

The area used for a US Open parking lot will eventually be a practice facility.

John Moore II

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
Wayne-I have only driven by the site, so I was not aware that they had all ready cleared the site some. Forgive me for looking like a fool. Ran told me as well they had cleared a bit. Does anyone know when they are planning for the course to be ready? I do not recall seeing that on the Crenshaw design website.

Ed Oden

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »
I am surprised at some of the less than stellar reviews of Mid-Pines and Pine Needles.  

Chip, I didn't see much negative in the thread about either course, particularly Pine Needles.  Its just that if you have access to play Forest Creek or CCNC, then I'd take it over Mid-Pines.  I actually like Mid-Pines a lot, although conditioning is sometimes a problem there.  Probably not an issue in April.  

Ed

Bill Brightly

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »
Hey, thank all of you for your great responses!

Here is the trip I just booked:

Staying at Pine Crest Inn two nights (they were booked on weekend) and Magnolia Inn two nights.

Wed PM Southern Pines

Thur AM CC of NC, I have a buddy who belongs there (and we'll call to get on #2)

Fri AM working on Forest Creek (PM round at #2, #4 or #8?)

Saturday Pine Needles and Mid Pines

Sunday 7 AM, 36 at Tobacco Road (or as many holes as we can get in) and flight out.

Anything you would change?

John Moore II

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
Bill--based on the time of year, I would say that unless someone at the Pine Crest can help you, it will be nearly impossible to get on Pinehurst. I have called 3 or 4 times in December and January and have not been able to get on. I would suggest you try to play the Cardinal at CCNC on Thursday afternoon. And if you get on Forest Creek, just stay there for 36. I know you want to play #2, but its nearly impossible unless you are staying at the resort.

Bill Hagel

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 01:23:43 PM »
I go every year with a group - some of my favorites not mentioned in the thread yet

Tot Hill Farm
Talamore
Mid-South
Foxfire - East
Woodlake - Maples Course

Near the RDU airport (about 30 min south) we always stop at Keith Hills in Buis Creek (Home of the Fightin' Camels of Campbell College).  A very nice Dan and Ellis Maples track.

David Neveux

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »
Bill,

I have been down to the area the last 2 years during the month of March, my favorites in order are as follows:

Pine Needles
Pinehurst No. 2  
Forest Creek (private) North
Forest Creek (private) South
Tobbacco Road  
Pinehurst No. 8
Pinehurst No. 7
Pinehurst No. 4
Mid Pines
Southern Pines Elks
Pinehurst No. 3

If you play Pinehurst No. 2 make sure you take a caddie.  The guy I had was outstanding and is always for hire.  I have his card if would like to garuntee yourself a great caddie.  His favorite saying, even on those greens, was simply "back of the cup."  

Tobbacco Road is the best deal in the area.  Be sure to play 36 holes as you will want another crack.  

I agree with Sean as far as Mid-Pines is concerned.  It is a very charming setting and the 18th green with the massive hotel set behind is quite a view.  However at upwards of 150 dollars I did not think I got my money's worth.  In retrospect would have opted for another go around across the street at Pine Needles.  

Southern Pines will help you budget your trip and although both times we played the greens were freshly aerated, at 30 dollars how can you complain.  Fun course with some very good golf holes, and one of the finest 2 dollar hot dogs in the country.  The breakfast at the restaurant here is also top notch.  

The Acura Package Brian mentioned was a good deal, although don't let the advertised price fool you.  They tack on about an extra $150 in hidden fees.  Nonetheless it was still worth even though no one in the group was very impressed when we checked out.  If they offer it again be sure to check it out.  We were able to add courses like no. 3 in the afternoon for a $30 surcharge.  

If Forest Creek becomes an option, it would be well worth your time to play both courses there instead of a Pinehurst course in the afternoon (outside of no. 2)  

Anyway you do it in the end will be great.  Enjoy the hell out of it.  Cheers,

David Neveux.

rjsimper

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:46 PM »
You are fine as-is.

Other recs of the area courses are just alternatives to the ones you've listed - you've covered all the best.  

Matt MacIver

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
My thoughts:

Forgetting the price, Mid-Pines reminds me of how golf courses used to be designed, and how golf used to be played -- it's a throw back to a different era, and I love it.  There's a reason they play hickory touraments there.  Enjoy.  

The Pit: target golf at it's upmost, with lots of blind shots and tricky doglegs.  Know that going in and you'll have a lot more fun, for a one-and-only play it can be frustrating if you're not in the right frame of mind (hint: beer helps).  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 11:12:44 PM by Matt MacIver »

Jason Topp

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
On our trip in April we are planning on playing:

Anderson Creek
Tobacco Road
Southern Pines

Should I replace Anderson Creek with something else?  I prefer to keep the price comparable.

Also is there a difference between Southern Pines and Southern Pines Elks?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:42:35 PM by Jason Topp »

Greg Krueger

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 12:50:40 PM »
Jason, Anderson Creek did'nt do much for me. It's not a bad
course by any means but for less $ you could play Legacy, The Pit or even Hyland Hills!!

John Moore II

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 01:19:35 PM »
Jason-Southern Pines and the Elks club are the same thing. The club used to be owned and managed by the Southern Pines Elks Organization. I am not sold on Anderson Creek though, you could get many better courses in the area. I would not go to Legacy though, that course is just not great, its not maintained very well anymore, the greens especially. Tot Hill Farm is not a bad deal, its a Strantz near Asheboro, a bit of a drive, but a cool place. Quail Ridge across the street from Tobacco Road is a good design, if not well conditioned. If you have any questions about specific courses, just send me a message, I've played just about every course in the area.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »
Johnny,

I think we will play the course at Duke on the day we fly into Raleigh Durham. (Duh...I just remebered my son goes there and I could see him...) I've played the course a few times. How would you compare it to the Ross courses at Pinehurst?

John Moore II

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »
Bill--Comparing Duke to a Ross course is hard to do. The styles are so different. For the price though, with your son being a student and probably being able to get you on at a better rate, I would certainly play there, its a great course, I just played there last week. Its as good as just about any one your list. I hate to see you leave Southern Pines, because my company owns it, but in all reality, Duke is a far better golf club. Again, same as I said in my last post, if you have questions about just about any course in the center of NC, I can give a reasonable answer.

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »
Johnny M

Do you think Duke is better than Southern Pines? Along with Bald Head Island, I thought Duke to be the most disappointing course I have seen in quite a spell.

ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Moore II

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 02:05:29 PM »
Sean-Depends on how we are defining better. Thats why I told Bill its hard to compare them. If we are talking about a better design, better hole routing, hole flow, and the sort of things we talk about specifically on this site, then no, Duke is not better than Southern Pines. But if we are talking about difficulty, shot values and a general test of golf skill, then yes, Duke is far better.

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
Sean-Depends on how we are defining better. Thats why I told Bill its hard to compare them. If we are talking about a better design, better hole routing, hole flow, and the sort of things we talk about specifically on this site, then no, Duke is not better than Southern Pines. But if we are talking about difficulty, shot values and a general test of golf skill, then yes, Duke is far better.

Johnny

Just so you know, in the future when I say something is better it means two things.  I actually prefer the one I claim is "better". I couldn't say with much certainty whether or not my preferred course is actually better.  Second, I will never think of the more difficult course as better merely because its more difficult.  In fact, I often fail to really enjoy championship courses because they tend to be overly difficult. The courses which are championship in terms of difficulty (when need be) and still get a 4 ball around in 3.5 hours tend to impress me, but they are very rare.  Most of the time some element of what makes the game enjoyable has to be sacrificed to meet the needs of "championship" play.

Is a proper website going to be developed for Southern Pines soon?  

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Bill Brightly

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
We are not leaving Southern Pines, I will definitely get on there.  But I may have to drop Forest Creek since I don't have access yet.

John Moore II

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2008, 02:32:46 PM »
Sean-I don't handle the websites, that's above my pay grade. So I really have no idea when there will be a website for Southern Pines. As far as the rest, I would prefer to play Southern Pines if I had to pick playing one every day, but I think Duke is a better test/tournament club.
Bill--If you drop Forest Creek and go to Duke, try to play in the morning and play Finley at UNC in the afternoon. Finley is a great course as well. There are also a few others in Durham that are cool to play.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
anyone played Old Chatham yet?

http://www.oldchathamgolf.org/golf.htm

hhuffines

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
Old Chatham is a nice place to spend the day (no crowds) but the golf can leave a bit to be desired.  Much like Duke it is a man sized course but has some holes by Rees Jones that arent memorable or ones you might see at Talamore.

Of the mid Carolina courses mentioned here I would play them in the following order:

Hope Valley (Throwing in a new one)
Duke Univ.
Old Chatham
Finley at UNC

Raleigh CC is a restored Ross (R. Mandell) and is very challenging due to small but very fast greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back