News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:Which "new" courses could host a Major?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 07:54:38 AM »
Wayne,

I didn't think to include Aronimink because it has held the PGA and also the Sr. PGA.  However, while the course continues to be a test of golf and could host a major, I don't think I would select it anyway.

My opinion is that the greens at Aronimink are among the very best in the country in terms of interest and influence on shots starting at the tee.  However, the routing and hole varieties (including length and the lack of holes turning) aren't nearly up to the quality of the greens.  There are excellent holes on the course such as 1,7,10,16 and 18 (maybe 2 and 3 can be added).  But the remaining hole designs do not make for greatness--except for their greens.

Ross wanted this course to evidence his skills and to show the clubs that selected Flynn rather than him (Manufacturers, Rolling Green, Philadelphia Country and Huntingdon Valley) that he could design a more difficult course.  He certainly designed a difficult course with excellent greens, but it isn't really enjoyable difficulty.  Nor is it more difficult than Huntingdon
Valley or Rolling Green.  Those two courses have a lot more interest, and I do not feel that way because I wrote a book on Flynn.

I'd have to study the course in far greater detail to think how else to route it; a not so easy taks.  He wanted to build a third 9 (its on the clubhouse wall as you know) and I have to study that to see how that would add to the quality of the golf.  There is a lot of land at Aronimink, but my gut feeling is that it wasn't used to its best potential and the par 4s especially lack variety.

Now, Bob Crosby, who I respect a great deal, has a very high regard for Aronimink and can't understand why many of us in the area feel the way we do.  It can be hard to put into words.  Rereading my own here, I don't think I did a very good job in expressing my reasons.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:56:03 AM by Wayne Morrison »

michael j fay

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 08:27:31 AM »
Aronimink has held a major and could again although it would not be at the top of my list. It is certainly a much more interesting and intricate course than Torrey Pines, Medinah or Olympia Fields.

While it is one of the best courses in one of the most fertile golf areas in the country, it has neither the charm or panache as Merion. If Philadelphia is to serve up a major, Merion is the best foot forward.

michael j fay

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 08:29:35 AM »
Another course that could hold a major is the Golf Club in Columbus. It has the acreage and the difficulty and is the best of the very solid golf to be had in a great golf town.

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
Michael,

Your Ohio comment brings to mind another club, The Country Club in Pepper Pike, which would make a great venue for a major championship other than the US Open.  As a match play course, it would really shine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:42:31 AM by Wayne Morrison »

RT

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
For a south east Open we have to look at the 3 previous venues Deal, Sandwich and Princes. I'm not sure Rye has the length, access or desire to host it...I maybe wrong, any Rye members here?

Would it not be interesting to hear the pros take on 13 at Rye?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »
I believe that the Open Championship is limited to courses in Great Britain. The European Club is not in Great Britain.
Nor is it a links which should and does appear to exclude it.

It is a links I think

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »
Matthew - I'm sure the European Club is a great course but it's not in Britain so cannot host the British Open.

Are you sure that courses in Ireland are not eligible?  The tournament is not actually named "The British Open."  It's called "The Open Championship."  Seems like I read once the R&A can hold it where they choose, in Britain or not.  

In Golf Ireland is a British Region like England, Scotland and Wales. Also the republic is part of the British Illes

michael j fay

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »
Great Britain includes England, Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is an independent country and while occupying land that is part of the British Isles it is not part of Great Britain.

The Irish spent 800 years to create this division. I do not believe that the "British Open" or the "Open Championship" can be held outside Great Britain.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »
Barnbougle Dunes could hold the British Open, right???

I had a discussion with a friend wondering which Tom Doak course could hold a major and we couldn't find one...

but we know that Tom was not building his courses with that objective in mind

Jim Nugent

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 03:12:49 AM »
I do not believe that the "British Open" or the "Open Championship" can be held outside Great Britain.

I'm interested to learn for sure if this is true.  A statement or rule from the R&A would certainly be definitive.  

Brian Phillips

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:59 AM »
Jim,

I would have thought the R&A can hold 'The Open' anywhere they want as long as the governing body agreed to holding a tournament in that country.  So if the R&A wanted to hold it in Norway and the Norwegian Golf Union (NGF) agreed as well as the club involved agreed then what would stop them from doing it.  They could even have the tournament even if the governing body did not agree to it.  I suppose all they would need is a golf course.

It is not called The British Open so they could hold wherever they wanted similar to The European Tour playing all over the world.

Back to the thread...any course that is long enough can hold a Major all they need is MONEY!
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jack_Marr

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 03:13:46 AM »
Matthew - I'm sure the European Club is a great course but it's not in Britain so cannot host the British Open.

Are you sure that courses in Ireland are not eligible?  The tournament is not actually named "The British Open."  It's called "The Open Championship."  Seems like I read once the R&A can hold it where they choose, in Britain or not.  

In Golf Ireland is a British Region like England, Scotland and Wales. Also the republic is part of the British Illes

It's called the British Isles in the U.K. and other places, but Ireland does not officially call itself part of the British Isles. In fact, our government has been lobbying cartographers and other governments to stop calling the Republic part of the British Isles.

Just a small point that doesn't really matter.
John Marr(inan)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »

It's called the British Isles in the U.K. and other places, but Ireland does not officially call itself part of the British Isles. In fact, our government has been lobbying cartographers and other governments to stop calling the Republic part of the British Isles.

Considering that most of the world calls this tournament the "British Open", would Ireland want to host the event, if it were offered to a course there?  

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
For a south east Open we have to look at the 3 previous venues Deal, Sandwich and Princes. I'm not sure Rye has the length, access or desire to host it...I maybe wrong, any Rye members here?

Would it not be interesting to hear the pros take on 13 at Rye?

No irrigation system = too short. Mike Weir nearly drove the 437-yard 16th when he played there prior to the last Open at Sandwich.

What about Littlestone? Isn't it already used as a qualifier?

In the U.S., what about any courses in Texas? As far as weather concerns, they already play US Opens and PGAs in Oklahoma.

Sea Island? World Woods? Any of the RTJ Trail courses?

Jack_Marr

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 03:54:00 AM »

Considering that most of the world calls this tournament the "British Open", would Ireland want to host the event, if it were offered to a course there?  

I'd have no objection to it being held here, but I'd say there would be ructions.
John Marr(inan)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 03:22:17 AM »
Jack,

If a Rugby international between Ireland and England can be played at Croke Park then anything is possible.

Just a pity that the English played with as much spine as the British Army did on that disgusting day of the massacare.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jack_Marr

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »
Hi Brian

Yes, there is a misconception about what the Irish think of the English - everyone I know from England is treated well over here.

I was at Croke Park and there wasn't a whisper during God Save the Queen -  it was perfectly  respected. It was always going to be like that. In fact, England always get a good reception because they were the only team to travel to Ireland during a particularly difficult time of the troubles in the 1970s.

I think holding the British Open here would be different, though, even amongst those who gave the English team and the anthem the respect it deserved.

John Marr(inan)

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »
The prices for tichets for the England Game were amazingly high(£2500 for two ordinry seats on e-bay.

I got 6 for the france game so I was more than happy.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »
The Open, could as Brian says be played anywhere in the world, and though Ireland is not British the Amateur has been played outside of Britain.. @Portmarnock.

Infrastructure is more important im afraid so no chance of a Rye. I would have thought any new Open venue would likely come out of the 20 or so courses that have staged the Amateur. I think Royal Porthcawl is the biggest candidate, it ticks a lot of the R&A boxes, though is a bit cramped internally for Open standard. Kingsbarns, has the misfortune to be too near the old lady I think. Portrush and Deal both have a chance of getting back on the rota.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:26:38 PM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »
Adrian gave Portrush as a possible for the Open Championship.  What about RCD?  

Norbert P

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
 Perhaps one of the Bandon courses could host the British Open?    (I feel the leers and sneers)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Perhaps one of the Bandon courses could host the British Open?    (I feel the leers and sneers)

What about the Pacific Dunes for USPGA

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 07:55:11 PM »
The Open, could as Brian says be played anywhere in the world, and though Ireland is not British the Amateur has been played outside of Britain.. @Portmarnock.

Infrastructure is more important im afraid so no chance of a Rye. I would have thought any new Open venue would likely come out of the 20 or so courses that have staged the Amateur. I think Royal Porthcawl is the biggest candidate, it ticks a lot of the R&A boxes, though is a bit cramped internally for Open standard. Kingsbarns, has the misfortune to be too near the old lady I think. Portrush and Deal both have a chance of getting back on the rota.

I think the R&A has tossed around the idea of Porthcawl holding an Open.  There have been many objections based on facilities, hotel space and a rather easy course for the big boys.  The facilities have improved steadily over the past 10 years.  Cardiff is not far and its hotel accomodation has gone up in quality especially since the Millenium Stadium was built.  I think Porthcawl is presently doing some fairly serious work to the course this winter.  It would be good to see Wales get an Open.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 07:55:51 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »
The Kent Messenger newspaper last week quoted the local council who have put aside £100 000 to promote major golf tournaments coming to East Kent i.e. Sandwich, Deal & Princes, they hope the Open will return to the area in 2011 and aim for the event to come to the region every 5 years. Whilst the championship is obviously an R&A event it needs the full support of local authorities to make it work. I imagine the lucrative corporate market may also bigger when the championship is closer to London.

Adrian - The Amateur was indeed played in Ireland however we must remember the Walker Cup is a GB&I team so I can understand why the event was played there. I certainly believe another couple of years of stability in the north could see a RP or RCD Open.

Cave Nil Vino

Jim Colton

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »
Some moderns that I think might actually have the capacity to hold a major

Olde Kinderhook
Trump Bedminster
Victoria National
Erin Hills

I noticed that Erin Hills is a sectional qualifying site for the 07 US Am Pub Links (anybody here playing in it?  2 rds at Erin Hills for $95!), which is a dry run for the 08 Women's Pub Links which could be considered an audition for a future open.  I wonder what tees they'll play the Pub Links qualifyinh at given the hdcap max of 8.4.  I imagine scores will likely be higher there than any other site.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back