News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re:Baddelly misses 9 fairways out of 14...7 under for the day....
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
A Carnoustie setup would help, too - does anyone want to see that?

How about replacing the rough with water?

:P
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ForkaB

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 10:07:25 AM »
the new breed just hits it as far as they can and then wedges it from the rough.....ARE TREES OUR LAST DEFENSE????

"DEFENSE" against what?  Skill?  Not in my game, thank you very much......

PS--nobody has answered the "Riviera/Sabbatini Conundrum".......

JESII

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 10:08:21 AM »

PS--nobody has answered the "Riviera/Sabbatini Conundrum".......

What is it?

ForkaB

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 10:12:41 AM »
Jim II

See Jim I's post below.  To paraphrase:

If Sabbatini won at Riviera hitting <50% of the fairways, does Riviera suck?

You're welcome ;)

Rich

PS--modified to change "greens" to "fairways".  They're all the smae to me.........
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:14:29 AM by Rich Goodale »

JESII

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »
Thank you Sir Richard...always the gentleman and the scholar.

How're thangs?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »
Baddeley, who won the tournament, ended up hitting 60.71% of all fairways for the week.  

Judging by Baddeley's play from the tee in the last couple of rounds, a number of his drives ended up in the first cut, which is hardly a penalty. In fact, it may have been a bonus since most approaches on par 4s are 8 iron or less. A lie in the first cut helps take some spin off the ball, so it's more likely to stop where it lands instead of spinning back.

BTW-Baddeley maybe close to ironing out the inconsistencies in his game that prevents him from competing regularly. He sure is a hell of a putter.

Next!

ForkaB

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
Thangs are GRRRRREAT!  The golf game is creaking towards respectability, the sun in rising sooner and setting later each day, and before you know it I'll be so old I'll get away with forgetting all the things my wife asks me to do!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »

They would not shoot those numbers with trees....

Are there trees in Arizona? Here in the Pacific Northwest we have trees! Methinks Arizona might have stumps.  ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:50 AM »
Rich,

If she's still expecting anything helpful from you, you've been trying too hard...mine gave up years ago and we're only 7 years into negotiations...

ForkaB

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »
Jim

IMO wives never forget nor forgive.  You are either very lucky or very naive!

JESII

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »
I thought the naivety question would have been addressed with my use of the word 'negotiation'. Regardless, I will take this public opportunity to claim to being very lucky...

ForkaB

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
I am lucky too, in that while my wife has the memory of an elephant she does not at all look like one.  However, she would never let me post on the "Merion 10th Hole" thread.  You are truly blessed

JESII

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »
What's the old line about giving someone enough rope to hang themselves...

Anthony Butler

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »

They would not shoot those numbers with trees....

Are there trees in Arizona? Here in the Pacific Northwest we have trees! Methinks Arizona might have stumps.  ;D

Perhaps the players should be greeted next year with corridors of 30 ft cactus plants defining the fairways...Bonus fact: Finchem can sign Patron on as a sponsor...
Next!

JESII

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
It's margarita time, baby!

Justin Gale

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 10:36:28 PM »
There is a distinct obsession, not only on this site but in the GCA indudstry and profesion tours, with making the game harder for the tour pros. Courses are constantly lengthening holes, bringing in the rough to narrow fairways etc.

But is all this worry completely necessary? So what is Baddeley misses 9 fairways and shoots 7 under? Who cares if Tiger has 40 under for a tournament?

This prompts the question as to why we all care so much about making the game harder for the pros. Is it to limit the number of records that are being set? Is it to make the regular Sunday golfer feel better that a tour pro can have over par too?

I guess it goes back to the question - Would you rather see low scores, or golfers batlling with the conditions to break par? And I guess most would prefer the latter?

JG

Anthony Butler

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 11:18:01 PM »
There is a distinct obsession, not only on this site but in the GCA indudstry and profesion tours, with making the game harder for the tour pros. Courses are constantly lengthening holes, bringing in the rough to narrow fairways etc.

But is all this worry completely necessary? So what is Baddeley misses 9 fairways and shoots 7 under? Who cares if Tiger has 40 under for a tournament?

This prompts the question as to why we all care so much about making the game harder for the pros. Is it to limit the number of records that are being set? Is it to make the regular Sunday golfer feel better that a tour pro can have over par too?

I guess it goes back to the question - Would you rather see low scores, or golfers batlling with the conditions to break par? And I guess most would prefer the latter?

JG

In certain parts of the country where the PGA TOUR touches down, the weather hardly ever adds to the challenge of the course where the event is played. Everyone knows weather conditions OFTEN adds strokes to the winning score in the Hawaii and Florida events, the California coastal events, the British Open and some tournaments later in the year. In summer events like Westchester, the US Open, and the PGA (some years) it's the course set-up. All that brutal rough lurking just off the fairway.

If someone like Tiger posts 18-under in the British Open everyone shrugs their shoulders and says "He was lucky–he got St. Andrews when it was laying down". But low scores are usually posted at every event other than the US Open when conditions are benign. The problem is 98 times out of 100 the Hope, the Tucson and the Phoenix events are played in 75-80 degree weather with less than 8 mph of breeze.*

You'd have to make TPC Scottsdale a 7,600 yd par 70 course with tucked pins to make par mean anything to today's PGA pros. Could they even fit that kind of yardage inside the berms?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:05:21 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back