News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Congratulations to Jeff Brauer on The Quarry
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2003, 11:50:10 AM »
You de-greened a putt?  I got that shot!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

texsport

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2003, 12:08:14 PM »
You de-greened a putt?  I got that shot!

My Bobby Grace MOI Tour Prototype putter put a great roll on it and if the fringe hadn't stopped it, it might still be rolling!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 12:08:29 PM by texsport »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2003, 01:58:50 PM »
Jeff:

I really like the idea of a hole with an alternate fairway whose primary advantage is better visibility ... especially if the orientation of the green gives a different perspective on the best angle of approach.

But I hadn't suspected anything like that just from the picture.  I really couldn't tell the length of the hole at all or where you'd try to drive it.  I don't try to get too much out of pictures without a good description to go with them.  (A case in point -- the oft-printed photo of the 15th at Black Diamond, which makes it look like there is an "alternate fairway" up to the right.  In person, that fairway just isn't in the right spot for most people to use it as an option.)

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2003, 02:08:33 PM »
The green orientation definitely gives differing perspectives on the best angle to approach. Better yet, the green contouring enhances the dilemma of angle of attack.

When playing from the left (upper fairway) the green is almost perpendicular to you, with the green contours dividing the green into different sections. Each section is about the same distance away, so you're mostly concerned with direction.

From below the green is angled from front right to back left. The green contouring makes you have to think about direction and distance. This added twist is in addition to not being able to see the green surface, since the fairway is below the green.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2003, 04:08:47 PM »
Tom,

What Jeff said, but thanks for the reply!  Did you delay your trip just to reply to me? ???

Dan Kelly

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2003, 04:15:37 PM »
Very well described, Mr. McDowell!

You've led me to, finally, say what I like best about the course -- and why I think it's MUCH more of a finesse course than a power course, unless (unlike Mr. McDowell  ;D and me  :P ) you are a VERY long hitter.

What I like best at The Quarry are the greens. They are about as wild and movementful as any set of greens I've  played -- full of greens-within-greens. (Does someone have a trademark on that phrase?) Putting your ball into the right spots to approach the various pin positions on those greens, and then into the right spots to putt from, will be the key to scoring well there.

I said to Jeff B., during our rounds there, that I thought no one would ever walk away from The Quarry saying that they hadn't gotten their money's worth of putting and chipping. Put your ball in the wrong places on or beside many of those greens -- or even in the "safe" places -- and you'll be looking at quite a few putts and chips that, other than the speed, will remind you of putts and chips you've seen (or hit) at Augusta ... with HUGE (sometimes HUGE and MULTIPLE) breaks.

I'm sure some will find the undulations excessive or goofy. I love them. They're challenging and fun, not impossible.  

« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 04:22:05 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

texsport

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2003, 01:07:32 PM »
I agree that the course is a power course only from the tips which, at 7,200+ yards, requires length and finesse. From the blue tees it's  6,600+ yards.

Good scoring requires accurate placement of approach shots. Jeff's website tips concerning the banks on #7, #8, #9 and #18 are very helpful but you've got to play the course a couple of times to learn how to leave yourself with up hill putts and how not to put yourself in jail with a miss.

Since the greens are large, several trips around are required to experience all the different pin positions. There can be 3 clubs difference from the front to the back of some greens, especially considering the wind and elevation changes incorporated into the design.

Texsport
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 01:11:01 PM by texsport »

texsport

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2003, 01:17:05 PM »
Jeff:

I really like the idea of a hole with an alternate fairway whose primary advantage is better visibility ... especially if the orientation of the green gives a different perspective on the best angle of approach.

But I hadn't suspected anything like that just from the picture.  I really couldn't tell the length of the hole at all or where you'd try to drive it.  I don't try to get too much out of pictures without a good description to go with them.  (A case in point -- the oft-printed photo of the 15th at Black Diamond, which makes it look like there is an "alternate fairway" up to the right.  In person, that fairway just isn't in the right spot for most people to use it as an option.)

The advantage of a better view of the pin on #13 comes with a requirement for good distance and direction control.

On windy days, the risk may outweigh the better view of the green advantage. Missing the smallish left fairway potentially leaves you in worse shape than if you play safely to the right. There are rough, a pot bunker and a steep down hill lie lurking on the left. Also, the left fairway is partially hidden, and in the wind looks even smaller.

A great design that requires different strategies each time you play it.

Texsport
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 08:37:19 AM by texsport »

texsport

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2003, 10:58:28 PM »
;D More of a challenge than Sand Hills, vintage 1919 Raynor, S. Thompson's last US Design... Mmmmmm. Kudos to Brauer seems to be the mantra of the day ;)

As I said, I'll be waiting for your review.

Texsport

Dan Kelly

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2003, 06:15:04 PM »
The first official review -- Rick Shefchik's -- has been published.

See it at http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/outdoors/6316226.htm

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2003, 06:35:56 PM »
Rick has a great writing style for golf course reviews!  While brief like Whitten, he sums up the strategy and key characteristics.  

Although I agree with his review of 15, I can't help but wonder if his duck hook on that hole affects his review?  

I agree with some of the mowing issues, and they have started addressing those.  I have basically resigned myself to the elimination of much of the ruggedness through expanded mowing will be inevitable at a resort course, pleading only to leave the deep grass on 6fw, 13 green and 16 challenge fairway steep banks.

The Quarry is a good news/bad news situation for me.... I made an MSP television appearance last night to discuss the Quarry.....That other "Brand X" twin cities paper is devoting several pages to its opening this week,.... several news outlets have repeated Rick's comments that this course is the biggest golf news in Minnesota this year, and the govenor has decided to play the grand opening, which is drawing even more press to the event....

The bad news?  They emailed today and said they don't have room for me to play in the grand opening.....I'll be an honorary  schmoozer only!

Doug Wright

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2003, 07:07:37 PM »

The bad news?  They emailed today and said they don't have room for me to play in the grand opening.....I'll be an honorary  schmoozer only!

Jeff,

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.  ??? Be sure to bring your sticks though. Someone (like the governor) always cancels and you'll be playing...

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2003, 08:45:50 AM »
Someone (like the governor) always cancels and you'll be playing...

The people who put together our front page have been giving the Governor so much grief this week that he may give up public appearances entirely!

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
So we're simply 'Brand X' now, huh Jeff?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2003, 01:43:03 PM »
No offense intended to the Star Tribune.  

Once, I got mixed up and posted they worked for the wrong paper, and took some grief about that!  Knowing Rick and Dan participate here, in deference to them, I don't mention the "other" paper's name.....

Dan,

Is the governor going to the iron range the Minnesota political equivalent of President Bush going overseas to get away from polictical controversy and look good/better?  From what I have always heard from locals up there, it is almost considered a "whole different country".  I would agree, but in the good way - it's beautiful up there.....

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2003, 02:29:40 PM »
Jeff,

I just had to give you a little ribbing.

Jeff

Dan Kelly

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2003, 02:38:55 PM »
Is the governor going to the iron range the Minnesota political equivalent of President Bush going overseas to get away from polictical controversy and look good/better?  From what I have always heard from locals up there, it is almost considered a "whole different country".  I would agree, but in the good way - it's beautiful up there.....

So, it's not beautiful down here? Is that what you're saying?  ;D >:( ::) :P

That is a very Democratic part of the state -- THE most solidly, rabidly Democratic.

This is a very Republican governor.

So, I don't know; that might not be the place to find political solace.

I'd think the Fishing Opener would be the Minnesota equivalent of a Presidential trip -- but the Opener lasts only a weekend, and then the darned newspapers are all over your butt again.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2003, 04:16:48 PM »
Here's a link to the Brand X story

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4006347.html

texsport

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2003, 08:45:11 AM »

Jeff,

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.  ??? Be sure to bring your sticks though. Someone (like the governor) always cancels and you'll be playing...

All The Best,

Jeff

So how did the governor play, and more importantly, did you beat him or just barely lose? ;)

Texsport
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 08:47:18 AM by texsport »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2003, 08:30:09 AM »
As it turned out, I both got to play, and play with the guv, as he asked me and a Texas sportswriter to be in his group, probably figuring the two Texas guys would be his best chance of playing with a friendly Republican in that area of the state.....so we played as a team, and finished in the middle of the scramble pack at -7, with the winner being -15.

Govenor Pawlenty had not played in 3 years and was definitly nervous about it.  He got better as the day went on, and contributed a few shots, including a near chip in for eagle at 5.  

Slightly off topic, but at one point I offered him the use of my Cobra 420CC driver, after a discussion of the golf digest article last month that said "if you don't play a driver made after 2000, you're giving up yards" and his drive distance immediately went from 220 or so to over 250 yards.

Also slightly off topic, but at the banquet the night before, I sat at the head table and was actually given the honor of speaking last, even after the govenor, which surprised me, given the protocol of such things.....

It's easy to see why he got elected.  He is a personable man and seems real - of course, so did your last govenor, in a slightly different way - and is apparently moderate enough to appeal to broad masses of different parties.  It turned out to be a great day, and for once at a grand opening, the weather was perfect.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back