News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Paolucci

Re:But ..... there is no defense ... and they're not building any.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »
Personally, I prefer hard, fast, and undulating greens for hobbyists because I look at it as a competitive advantage.  It is an equalizer for the many who do not hit the ball into weightless space and re-enter the ball on the green from 300+ yards.  Everyone can improve their ability to read greens, adjust to different speeds, and raise the level of consistency through practice.  Some players even with new technology have physical limits.  I would love to see more thoughtful green sites with contours and mounding being built but we may have to relegate ourselves to the Classic courses with those features.  

Pat - As stated above I am in violent agreement with your position.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Brad Klein

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 05:49:58 PM »
Pat, if you carefully read my post you'll see I did not count Prairie Dunes as a Modern course.

As for pronounced contour on Sand Hills (as opposed to major dominant unidirectional slope, though why you would make that distinction I'm not really sure), I'd count 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17.

Sebonack: 1, 2,3,6,9,10,11,13,16 (both original and replacement greens),17

Wild Horse: 5, 10, 11, 13, 16
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:28:04 PM by Brad Klein »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »
Trying to put this in a little bit more layman's terms, lets take the 1st hole at Recreation Park in Long Beach. some realy interesting Billy Bell Sr.

The 1st is a very short downhill par 3 1/2. some are going to question me saying this, but I think it's a really fun and challenging opener, even despite the sortness of the hole with modern equipment. It's even drivable for a really good player. The best way to describe it strategically is think in some sense, Riviera #10.

The green has no contours what-so-ever, yet it's flatness is more likened to a tilting table top, running away from the hole. In the old days before fences, you make a play at that hole, even with the old equipment, given the fast & firm conditions of the day that hole can have any talent of player's number. because if a good player goes for it, then he has OB to contend with as the green tilts towards the street off of a slightly raised green. Raised enough where today you can't putt up that slope that way its maintained.

To me that is just as much Defence (defense) at the green as any internal, wild contour. In fact, it's sound defense.

Playing there with Fortson, I liked seeing him have to decide what club to hit off of the tee. With Jeff's length, I think he could even get there with a cutting 3 wood, maybe even a 2 iron! Still he made the play to the safe left, and while it's somewhat more of an easy shot going in from there, given that this is a public course I've seen more fives on that par 3 1/2 then any hole in SoCal. Today it never seems to not inspire!

To me that is DEFENSE AT THE GREEN, simply because the way the green is set.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »

Ed,

The pictures are from Moray Old in Lossiemouth, Scotland.

The greens have numerous internal contours.  Moderate and maintainable, I would think.  Is there anything about USGA specs that would preclude similar greens here?  Are there climate issues?

TommyN,

I like the guitar guy better than the cartoon kid.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2006, 09:42:30 PM »
Thanks Gary. I'll have to keep that one in mind for the future.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2006, 09:43:23 PM »
Patrick, What is it that Paul and I don't get? How many mounds you want to build? Site be damned?

Your question?

Or, your solution?

Honestly, after making these generalizations about green structure, how long do you think you would run out of variety if you adhered to your concept, on every green you build from now on into the future? (If indeed you were a golf course architect)

It's you who doesn't get it. As others have stated, there are a ton of greens that have been built in the last twenty years that fit your stereotype. They must not be in the northeast or Florida?? (How about Wild Horses?) If you don't make the effort to seek them out, how can "we" take your question seriously? (unless this is all leading to another USGA positioning thread on rolling back the ball?)

Please hop on a plane and visit the many knooks and crannies in this great big beautiful country to see how much you're missing.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2006, 11:31:52 PM »

Pat, if you carefully read my post you'll see I did not count Prairie Dunes as a Modern course.

As for pronounced contour on Sand Hills (as opposed to major dominant unidirectional slope, though why you would make that distinction I'm not really sure), I'd count 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17.

I think we're talking about different features.

# 2 at Sand Hills has a pronounced contour, the others are sloped as opposed to possessing an internal contour such as the internal features I previously mentioned.

Sebonack: 1, 2,3,6,9,10,11,13,16 (both original and replacement greens),17

Again, I think we're talking about different features.
I don't see any pronounced internal feature such as a ridge, tier, mound or plateau on those greens.  The new 16th is tiered, but, it's a post opening addition.

# 1, # 3 and # 6 at NGLA come to mind.
Westhampton has their share as well, as does Friar's Head.

Wild Horse: 5, 10, 11, 13, 16

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2006, 11:39:01 PM »
Patrick, What is it that Paul and I don't get? How many mounds you want to build? Site be damned?

Because you're talking about par instead of internal contouring on the greens.

Your question?

Or, your solution?

Honestly, after making these generalizations about green structure, how long do you think you would run out of variety if you adhered to your concept, on every green you build from now on into the future? (If indeed you were a golf course architect)

Who said anything about every green.
That's your misguided view of the issue.

It's you who doesn't get it. As others have stated, there are a ton of greens that have been built in the last twenty years that fit your stereotype.

Then name them

They must not be in the northeast or Florida?? (How about Wild Horses?)

What about them ?

You're confusing slopes with internal, pronounced contouring along the configurations I mentioned previously.

If you don't make the effort to seek them out, how can "we" take your question seriously?

My playing experiences are probably more extensive than yours, thus I feel comfortable with the data base referenced.

(unless this is all leading to another USGA positioning thread on rolling back the ball?)

Perhaps it's USGA green construction that prevents internal pronounced contouring.

Are you familiar with the difficulties in constructing USGA greens with pronounced contours ?

Please hop on a plane and visit the many knooks and crannies in this great big beautiful country to see how much you're missing.

I'm fairly well traveled ?

How many CBM courses have you played ?
How many SR courses have you played ?
How many CB courses have you played ?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 11:39:48 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »
Time and time again I hear that the answer to the hi-tech and distance problem is to defend the golf course at the green

But, there is no defense..... and they're not building any.

I was watching the Amex championship where Tiger is leading at 15 under at the halfway mark.

While it was the highlights, everyone was rolling the ball in on greens with very little movement.

There are no pronounced contours or steep slopes and I don't see any golf courses gravitating toward those features.

Yes, greens have slope in them, but, pronounced contours are becoming rarer, to the point of extinction in modern design.

Hence, the defeating of the architectural features and the assault on par continues unabated.

Anyone familiar with the 7th green on the 3rd nine at Montclair understands what I mean by substantial contouring.

A back to front, high tier seperates the back 1/2 of the green into three segments.  The left side, the high tier and the right side, with the front of the green sloped back to front.

Where are the 5th and 13th greens at Somerset,  the 5th and 14th greens at ANGC, the 1st, 3rd and 6th greens at NGLA and many other OLD greens that had pronounced character and why aren't modern day architects producing pronounced contouring with tiers, mounds and plateaus ?

If the green is to be the last line of defense, architects seem to be weakening, not strengthening them.

Patrick, next time you inject talking points please try to remember them.

On the subjectof Sand Hills, the greens that Brad cites have internal contourings to the extent of creating a sectioning effect. And BTW, the definite number of downhill LZ's is 4.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 11:57:44 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Klein

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2006, 12:35:24 AM »
Pat, I don't know what you are getting at. Sorry if my answers don't conform to your version of a question, but you've circumscribed an answer below the threshold of meaningfulness here.

It sounds to me from this thread that you haven't seen much new work lately. Or not enough. Or not the right kind. Maybe if you left the Northeast/Southeast corridor and got a rental car real dirty you'd find what you were asking about. You certainly won't find it on the PGA TOur -- on that, we agree. But you might find it on the Pony Express Trail, the Lewis & Clark Trail, or old Route 66.

Happy Trails

(this post brought to you by the Quicksilver Messenger Service)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 12:35:45 AM by Brad Klein »

Paul Payne

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
Pat,

I might humbly disagree with your essential arguement. I am not a member at any club so I am one of those wandering troubadours of golf we discussed in another thread long ago.

I play a lot of public courses and I am always looking for the next new course on the horizon. My experience has been that over the last five years or so, smaller mid-priced courses are striving to put lots of contours into their greens, sometimes to a fault. I am not sure what has driven this move but it does seem noticeable.

It would be interesting to quantify this (because I am a numbers guy) but my guess is that you would see a noticeable difference in green contours on public courses starting somewhere between 1998 and 2000.

Does anyone else have the same impression?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2006, 12:41:23 PM »
Brad Klein,

I tried to define internal contouring by adding the word "pronounced" and I further cited examples, both hole and feature specific.

The 8th green at Hidden Creek might be a poster boy for pronounced internal contouring.

It divides the green into cupping zones, thwarts approaches and recoveries and makes putting from the wrong side a substantive challenge.

While # 4 at Hidden Creek has contouring, I don't put it in the same category as # 8.

I hope that helps.

Adam Clayman,

Would you cite the 4 downhill LZ's ?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:26 PM »
Patrick,

I asked the question to the DOG. His answer was four.

Off the top of my head I'd say they were #'s 1, 4, (the right half of 10) and 16.

DMoriarty

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 08:37:41 PM »
Patrick,

Agree that flat greens reduce challenge on several levels.

Agree on construction not costing any more

Not sure about maintenance.  My experience is that very pronounced contours dry out quickly, and may be hard to mow correctly, causing scalping, and often force traffic patterns around them, causing wear next to them, etc.

Either requires hand work - watering or special mowing (going with the contour no matter what direction the green is mowed) Sometimes similar ridges will do fine in one wind orientation but not into prevailing summer winds. Go a few years, get a cold winter, and slopes facing the prevailing winter winds might dessicate.

For courses that have high play and low staffs/budgets, they may be viewed as "not worth the hassle."  Even at so called better courses, like the fw bunker thread, too many golfers curse anything that causes them pain (Like walking) or their scorecard pain (like too much challenge)  and also hate any feature that takes away from their greeness, which high spots on greens can do.

Jeff Brauer,  

I just dont believe that greens with contours are that much harder to maintain, at least when the greens are well done.  I have played too many good courses with well maintained greens full of pronounced contours to believe it.  

As for the rounds to maintenance ratio scenario, I often play Rustic Canyon where contours are pretty pronounced and the rounds/maintenance ratio has got to be pretty abysmal.  Yet even when conditions are at their worst the greens generally hold up quite nicely.   When they do have problems with the greens they are not the types of problems you describe.

Maybe your experience isn't indicative of what else is out there.  

This is not the first time you have shown a clear preference for providing the simplest maintenance at the cost of watering down the architecture (remember the "narrow bunker" thread?)  Do you think this is a sacrifice that architects ought to routinely make?  

Jim Thompson

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2006, 08:49:39 PM »
If you can take a double or as some would call it side by side box float down (edit: by down I mean down the central spine of the feature, not vertically downward) a ridge and leave no gaps or create no scarring on the outer edge, you can maintain the contour.  It is really is just that simple.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:56:42 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2006, 08:52:33 PM »
I just have a hard time believeing any TRUE golf architect can't creatively defend any green, flat or contoured. There are a lot of them out there. They design more for being on the putting surface then being out in the fairway trying to get to the target. (the ball in the hole)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2006, 11:12:23 PM »
Dave,

Yes, I think that is a sacrifice architects routinely make!  Its a conscious decision to build something that will most likely be maintained as designed in perpetuity vs some crazy ass idea that appeals to a few, but not a lot.  Case study number one is the number of MacKenzie "freak" greens rebuilt over the years.

Just because we all love to discuss the creme de la creme of golf courses where maintenance cost is not an issue, my experience (key phrase here) is that the vast majority of courses do need maintenance considered to some degree in the design.  If it can't be maintained, it will be changed.

Its just like the compromises we make with environmental restrictions, the need for multiple or at least huge honking tees in most cases, and numerous other design items.  I don't recall the narrow bunker thread particularly - I have slept since then (and quite soundly) but they are subject to some maintenance considerations (slopes that don't wash, turning radii if they are to be machine raked, etc.

I have no idea if my experience as a professional golf course architect who hears maintenance concerns from good superintendents is typical of what's out there. However, I don't recall too many RC contours that are so severe as I imagined Pat to be talking about. If he is talking one foot ridges, then no, they can be maintained if done with smooth transition zones.

But I also suspect that as a player, you probably don't have any idea of the special care that might go into a pronounced mound on a green to keep it looking like the others.  A high spot is usually a dry spot, and as the old margarine commercial used to say - "Its not nice to fool mother nature."  Not only is it not nice, when it comes to growing turf, its usually not possible, either!

Its just something a professional golf course architect must consider.  If not, then they are just playing in the dirt rather than designing something.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DMoriarty

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2006, 01:28:17 PM »
You drastically characature my position.  This isnt about building "crazy ass features" or completely disregarding maintenance.   Rather, I am talking about routinely disregarding architectural merits for the sake of the simplest maintenance.  If your main design goal is making supers' lives as simple as possible then the quality of your courses will suffer greatly.  Simple as that.  
Just because we all love to discuss the creme de la creme of golf courses where maintenance cost is not an issue, my experience (key phrase here) is that the vast majority of courses do need maintenance considered to some degree in the design.  If it can't be maintained, it will be changed.

This is a cop-out.   Quality architecture ought not be reserved only for the "creme de la creme of golf courses where maintenance cost is not an issue."  No wonder there is so much crummy stuff being done out there!

I have no idea if my experience as a professional golf course architect who hears maintenance concerns from good superintendents is typical of what's out there. However, I don't recall too many RC contours that are so severe as I imagined Pat to be talking about. If he is talking one foot ridges, then no, they can be maintained if done with smooth transition zones.

One doesnt have to guess about the contours Pat is talking about, because he gives examples.    I think you misrecollect RC's green contours.  They not as severe as a few of the greens at National, but then the flow of Rustic's land wouldnt allow for this.  That being said, they've plenty of contour, especially when compared to the typical modern greens.

But I also suspect that as a player, you probably don't have any idea of the special care that might go into a pronounced mound on a green to keep it looking like the others.  A high spot is usually a dry spot, and as the old margarine commercial used to say - "Its not nice to fool mother nature."  Not only is it not nice, when it comes to growing turf, its usually not possible, either!

I suspect that you know little or nothing about what little I know about maintenance, or about my desire to keep every spot on every green looking exactly the same.  

And who said anything about fooling with mother nature?  I've seen very few spots in nature as flat as many of the modern greens. So just who exactly is fooling with mother nature here?  

Are you talking about USGA greens?  Are they not fooling mother nature?  

Its just something a professional golf course architect must consider.  If not, then they are just playing in the dirt rather than designing something.

Yes, but the question is just how much weight they give to these concerns, and whether they are creative enough to try to find solutions to get around the problem.  

As an example of what I mean, let me refresh your memory of the narrow bunker thread:  You scolded us for liking bunkers which were too narrow for the turning radii of the raking machine(you make the same point above) and even used it as an example of us not understanding the real considerations of a designer.   In so doing you neglected to creatively consider simple ways around this problem, such as going in one side of such a bunker and coming out at the other end, or making these waste areas and only maintaining them occassionally.  

Great architecture isnt about money or maintenance budget, it is about creatively making the most out of the land while somehow getting around its limitations, whether they be natural or in the mind of the super.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 01:28:49 PM by DMoriarty »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »
Dave,

I don't disagree that creative architecture is about creatively making the most out of the land while somehow getting around its limitations, as you say.   I am NOT talking about routinely disregarding architectural merits for the sake of the simplest maintenance, but simply considering their impact.

There is a thing called the design triangle - strategy, aesthetics and maintenance.  Frankly, we might add speed of play and environmental concerns, making it a pentagon, but lets keep it simple.  On one project, the sides of that triangle might be equilateral, while on another, it might be tilted strongly to any point. Typically, the muni courses (of which I design several) lean towards maintenance.  At an exlusive club, it might lean the other way(s).

For those majority of courses where practical considerations rule by necessity, and we pick the maintenance difficulties the super might have.  For instance, we might do highly contoured greens or fancy bunkers while reducing tee size or eliminating (usually and easy choice) fairway mounding/contouring that might slow mowing production.  AT most courses, its a matter of degrees, not a black and white issue.

The opinions of a course might suffer in the eyes of anyone who simply "must" have certain features that challenge tour pros,which was the original point of Pat's thread.  However, those courses might suffer more from poor maintenance while the pros never show up, and while not achieving any particular architectural distinction because of their role as a muni or whatever.  Some course designs are meant to be golf factories, and the judgement of whether they are a successful design resides in how they stand up and move play through, not how their subtle gca features would challenge Tiger if he showed up.

I am not conceding that such a course must suffer architecturally though, as there are so many ways to skin a cat in "quality design features" and gca's simply pick ones that might be more maintenance friendly, rather than pet features, which if chosen too often, would stamp a gca as repetitive anyway.  I really disagree with your statement that anything in design is "as simple as that."  Its not.

I didn't mean to characterize your comments as crazy ass, just being flippant about the fact that about 0.0001% of golfers care about gca features.  Many more would view severe green contours as a design impediment to their score.  As Jack Nicklaus says (and I think he speaks for the typical view of good to great players - "I don't think a golf course ought to ever hurt the golfer."  Pat, you and I wouldn't agree, but that is an opinion to consider.

BTW, we used to talk in LA studios about the concept of "pure design" - what you would do with a project if given no real world constraints.  Those fantasy projects rarely exist in the real world, and even the top end ones have at least some consideration to costs, so there really isn't such a thing as pure design. Golf courses must function for their owners in drainage, soil structure, etc. to be good design.

When I spoke of Mother Nature, my comments had nothing to do with mimicking nature in contouring or shaping, which is often desireable. I was referring to getting the turf on the most highly used and manicured area of a golf course the air movement, sunlight, moisture and lack of compaction it needs to grow grass. If any of those are lacking, grass won't grow well. Period. Once again, my experience is that dramatic contours - especially those on green edges where moisture wicking (and USGA greens cause this, but plastic barriers between sand and native soil help prevent it) and where traffic is heavy (like natural entrance points) combine to put too much stress on a turf.

If I was going to do a dramatic contour, I would be careful to put it away from major traffic areas for practical reasons, but perhaps not eliminate it altogether. As Lou Duran will attest, my green contours are not flat as Pat originally suggested.  From memory, I think they are on par with RC.

Dave, I guess I don't know what you know about anything. But, I do know what I know about building and maintaining golf courses, and I do figure that in my designs. What else can I say?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DMoriarty

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 01:42:07 AM »
I am NOT talking about routinely disregarding architectural merits for the sake of the simplest maintenance, but simply considering their impact.
Really??   I asked:
This is not the first time you have shown a clear preference for providing the simplest maintenance at the cost of watering down the architecture (remember the "narrow bunker" thread?)  Do you think this is a sacrifice that architects ought to routinely make?

You responded:
"Yes, I think that is a sacrifice architects routinely make!"

As I said above, you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting my position to make your earlier comments more defensible.  I never said that maintenance shouldnt be considered, only that good architects creatively overcome those limitations.    

And I dont think that Patrick's comments apply only to courses for tour pros.  I am not a tour pro but I appreciate interesting greens.  This notion that a course must be for pros or for hacks but never for both is just another cop-out used to justify crappy golf course design.

. . . just being flippant about the fact that about 0.0001% of golfers care about gca features.  Many more would view severe green contours as a design impediment to their score.  As Jack Nicklaus says (and I think he speaks for the typical view of good to great players - "I don't think a golf course ought to ever hurt the golfer."  Pat, you and I wouldn't agree, but that is an opinion to consider.

Another false justification for sacrificing quality design.  Who says that 0.0001% of golfers do not care about gca features.  You assume that just because the vast majority of golfers have never thought about it or cannot articulate just what they like about a course, that they do not appreciate gca features.  

When I look at a Monet I cannot begin to explain what features of composition and artistry lead me to find it beautiful, but to assume because of this that I dont appreciate the work would not only be innaccurate, it is also incredibly condescending.  

paul cowley

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2006, 04:13:19 AM »
Patrick.....I avoid endless generalized debate as I find it is rarely fulfilling compared to the effort expended, but ....in an attempt to spare you the extra effort to travel to where we have been BUILDING actual golf courses that have contours as I think[?] you describe them.....I wish to inform you that you will be able to sit in the comfort of your home and see them brought to you, courtesy of the PGA Tour and its televised event, the GGO....which takes place this week....and played on our [Love Golf Designs] renovation of the Forest Oaks CC in Greensboro, NC.

To highlight your viewing, I might suggest paying attention to a few holes in particular;

#2  a true full biarittz, pinable on all levels, with a 4' swale.
The only classic biarittz that the Tour plays regularly.

#3 two tiers

#6  false front with interior swale.

#7  kind of a half folded tortilla bowl :).

#8  false edges with a deep interior swale parallel to line of play and bisecting 2/3rds of the green. Left side internal runoff as well.

#9  false edges and a ridge separating right rear pin area.

#10 strong internal plateau and knob that separates green areas....major un pinable internal slope just past a large false front.

#11 double tier set on a bias.

#13 strong internal contours....I call it a 3/4 biarittz.

#15 large false front guarding right side approach to a green bi sected with an internal ridge.

#17 40' false front combined with a plateau.....the 18th toughest hole on Tour last year.

#18 multiple internal swales leading out from the green to steep collection areas.

If you are able to view Patrick, I would enjoy your comments [well maybe ;)].....or yours Adam, since we seem to be put together in this by Mr Muccci  :).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 05:43:24 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:51 AM »
Ed Getka said;

"Paul,
  With each passing year the lowering of par seems to make more sense, assuming there is a reason to protect par. I don't mind seeing the pro's go low, but at least make them earn it on some decent greens. The only other problem with lowering par, as opposed to curbing technology, is that eventually you are going to have a lot of driveable par 4's."

....which I would start calling par 3's....good tough ones at that :).  

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2006, 08:51:16 AM »
Patrick,

I would offer up to Midwestern options to you.  Kingsley Club by Mike DeVries has the green complexes you are looking for in spades.

Another one is just north of my house and was done by Ron Kern.  Purgatory has some excellent green complexes as well.  Say what you want about the amount of sand on the course, the greens are what make that place enjoyable to play.

I think the problem isn't that they aren't being built, but that the tour pros are not playing courses like that.  These guys are good, but they don't want to take the chance of looking like fools on a "tricked up" course.  ::)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2006, 09:14:46 AM »
Paul Cowley,

The course as you describe it sounds very interesting, challenging but fun.

How is Forest Oaks perceived in the area ?
Is it viewed as a course that's fun to play, or gimmickie ?

I'll try to watch it on TV this week, although, green contours tend to get flattened by the camera.

In what year was the golf course built ?

Don't increased putting speeds almost guarantee that pronounced internal features will be exiled from modern design ?

Or, if they're included, that the green size has to be expanded ?

Chris Clouser,

I don't know that PGA Tour players are afraid of any course or feature, but, what people see on TV influences their tastes, and to a degree promotes the concept that if it's on TV, it must be the way to go, in terms of design or course conditioning.

The monkey see, monkey do mentality can best be observed when a new fairway mowing pattern appears on TV.
Within weeks, local clubs are emulating it.

The absence of unique, interesting, quirky features on TV leads to the expectation that flat and fast is good.

That's why I was so disappointed when NGLA didn't get the Walker Cup.

The exposure of the golfing public to the genius of CBM's work would have been invalueable.

The only downside to televising the event would have been the cameras focusing on TEPaul as he wandered aimlessly around the property, claiming to be searching for his lost dog, "Coorshaw", while yelling, "change par on the scorecard" over and over again, until the attendents from Happydale Farms were able to chase, catch, secure and return him to his cushioned room.

paul cowley

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 08:30:13 PM »
Patrick....maybe you looked, but could not see on TV....It's tough....but FOCC has some putt controlling contours that eliminated a putt fest during the tournament.

This was the course that during construction we would describe certain elements as more like Ross or more like Raynor....and a blended term of 'Rossnor' was created among us.

Davis won today in great style and it was good for all involved.

FOCC is a members course for 51 weeks of the year and that was the driving force in its redesign.....and the membership has been quite pleased with the results.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 07:08:46 AM by paul cowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back