News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ted Kramer

Re:A bit OT: Food and Golf
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »
The bacon, egg, and cheese (2 eggs fried, salt, pepper, ketchup, and tabasco) at the deli across the street from Lido is a heck of a way to start your day!!!

-Ted

And the coffe is really good at that deli too . . .

-Ted

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
Tom:

Funny story about these two restaurants.

Last time in Napa two and a half years ago I  tried for a month to secure a table at French Laudry to no avail. After our day of tasting we dressed and drove to the restaurant and told the hostess if there was a cancellation we were ready and left our cell #.

We then headed to La Toque and presented ourseleves again having not been able to obtain a reservation there as well. The hostess sat us in the courtyard next to the huge outdoor fireplace and much to our delight suggested we have a glass of champagne on the house while we waited to see if there might be availability that evening. We were brought a second glass of champagne (Schramsberg if you're curious) followed by a visit from the chef himself who offered that it was looking good for my wife and I to dine there.

My wife then looked at me and said, "Wouldn't it be great if we were allowed to dine outdoors at this table?" Which of course, is what ended up happening.

We chose the tasting menu along with the paired wines for that evening and about half way through the meal my cell vibrates showing the tel # of the French Laundry.

My wife and I looked at each other with a "No Way' type of look and we continued our splendid evening at LaToque!

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »
In my youth, it was always Walnut Lane followed by a short walk for a cheesesteak at D'Allessandro's. I need to return.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 04:46:30 PM »
Gene:

Fantastic.

Now of course you know I trust you implicitly and really needed no further detail other than your mention of the name... but I am printing this and bringing it home for my wife.

Next time we go up there La Toque it is.  When she reads this, the odds of us going shall be hugely good indeed.

;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:47:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Gene Greco

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 04:47:50 PM »
Slapper:

You are correct by including Quaker Ridge.

I was at the member-guest there three years ago and it was like a golfing wedding!

Fabulously prepared food and endless amounts of it.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
   All:

Expect some smart-ass quip from RJ Daley very soon commenting on my "expertise" in this area and possibly a suggestion for a new website, restaurantatlas.com.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
Me Mum used to drop me and a mate off at the local muni when we were about 10 years old...Equiped with a couple of quid we'd come off the course soaked, frigid (or both) and buy ourselves a steaming plate of sausage, egg and chips and a pint of coke in the clubhouse. Suitably fortified, we'd go back out for another 9...and we thought we were Kings... ;)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 05:04:51 PM »
Forget your porterhouse steaks and your French food--how about anyplace in the Carolinas together with tangy vinegar pulled pork BBQ.  

David Kelly

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »
Of course French Laundry is the Cypress Point of restaurants... But they treated me like shit there and I still have to be against it.
If you ever go again, if he is there, tell Tom Keller that I sent you.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 05:15:45 PM »
Well David dammit, why the hell didn't you give me this tidbit several years ago when I went?  Perhaps I wouldn't have been forced to wait in that god-awful tiny waiting area with no chairs, no bar, nothing offered to us for two solid hours....

;)

Life is all about connections.  Silly of me to forget.

In all seriousness, that did happen.  Of course we had a reservation but apparently that meant nothing.  I wrote Mr. Keller a scathing letter and did get a nice response from his secretary... That hasn't prompted me to return.

My in-laws do love the place though and have returned again and again, as their finances allow.  I guess it was just a bad night for me.

TH
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 05:17:20 PM by Tom Huckaby »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
Geno, I'm not fast enough to do smart ass on demand...  just leave your cell number and I'll call you if I think of something.   :P ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2006, 05:57:28 PM »
Forget your porterhouse steaks and your French food--how about anyplace in the Carolinas together with tangy vinegar pulled pork BBQ.  

Vinegar ::)  In West Tennessee we'd mourn the loss of a good pig.  Next thing you know somebody from South Carolina will jump in and praise that putrid mustard based sauce.

Huckster,

At least we know the Aweshuckster just doesn't play well at The French Laundry or Chicago Golf Club.  Think I'll boycott both establishments as a show of support.  Then again, you are such a rube. ;)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
Merion and a Stewart's for me.

Care to join me, Mike Cirba?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
Mike, you have me pegged.  But also you are getting a fine sense of my wrath... screw me and the world knows about it.

;D ;D ;D

Rube Tom
(which I consider an honor, btw)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2006, 06:07:29 PM »

Vinegar ::)  In West Tennessee we'd mourn the loss of a good pig.  Next thing you know somebody from South Carolina will jump in and praise that putrid mustard based sauce.

You're damned right, vinegar.  And you are correct, sir, that mustard-based sauce is not BBQ.  

peter_p

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »
Pacific Dunes and Grandma Thayer's meatloaf volcano.

New South Wales, then to Jordon's on the promenade for lobster or rock oysters.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »
Pacific Dunes and Grandma Thayer's meatloaf volcano.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last trip there I finally broke my streak of ordering that every single lunch and dinner, after I believe 8 occurrences.

;D

Gene Greco

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2006, 06:26:34 PM »
Of course French Laundry is the Cypress Point of restaurants... But they treated me like shit there and I still have to be against it.

Dave:

Thomas Keller spends most of his time at Per Se in NYC these days. What WOULD his response be if someone were to drop your name?

David Kelly

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2006, 06:33:18 PM »
Thomas Keller spends most of his time at Per Se in NYC these days. What WOULD his response be if someone were to drop your name?

It would be interesting to find out.

BTW, I doubt I'll try Per Se.  $250-500 to eat in a mall is a little steep even though I know the food will be fantastic.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Gene Greco

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2006, 06:46:54 PM »
I'm with you, David.

I will never go to Per Se because it can never duplicate the feel of his original on the West Coast.

Although, the copy of the Redan at NGLA.......

David Kelly

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2006, 07:01:42 PM »
Although, the copy of the Redan at NGLA.......

CB wisely picked a fantastic setting for his copy.

For a big time food experience in the city after golf I would take the Gramercy Tavern.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »
I played 27 with my wife and bother in law at the 9 holer in Napa and followed that up with the tasting menu / wine pairings at Domain Chandon.

My brother in law was working at Domain Chandon at the time and we were treated to a number of additions to the normal menu, served to us by the chef himself, and some truly outstanding service from just about everyone in the restaraunt.

It was a great day of golf and food!

-Ted

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2006, 07:16:30 PM »
You guys are decidely upscale.

I don't know that anything will ever beat grabbing a dog at the turn and following the round at my home muni. Did it the other day and it felt like I was coming home.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ted Kramer

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2006, 07:26:56 PM »
You guys are decidely upscale.

I don't know that anything will ever beat grabbing a dog at the turn and following the round at my home muni. Did it the other day and it felt like I was coming home.

:)

George,

You must have missed my post #25 . . .

"The bacon, egg, and cheese (2 eggs fried, salt, pepper, ketchup, and tabasco) at the deli across the street from Lido is a heck of a way to start your day!!!

And the coffe is really good at that deli too . . .

-Ted

ps
I would never consider a round at Lido "slumming it", I love the place!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:27:41 PM by Ted Kramer »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2006, 08:06:09 PM »
Harbour Point.

Follow that up with Taco Del Mar.

8) ;D 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back