News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re:What changed architecture in the 20th century ?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 12:16:19 AM »
Pat - Don't you think that architecture changed in the 20th century when architects stopped trying to replicate UK courses and began creating "American" courses for golfers who had never seen a links course? Tom Paul's assumption that the move away from trying to create the look & feel of the UK links courses with the introduction of landscape architecture may be spot on. To the average American golfer there is nothing attractive about a links course. But, turn a course into a park with green grass, flowers, and landscaping... now you've got something they will notice!

Once equipment was introduced that allowed courses to be built on virtually any terrain imaginable the game was on. Now, anyone with enough money could have a course and there were "architects" standing ready to build them... for a price. A mass market was born. Thus began the escalating spiral of costs and the exchange of true golf design with a desire for "beauty" at any price.

Go back and look at some of the old ads and promotional brochures for the courses built during the 50's and 60's. They don't talk about the quality of the strategy built into the course or how great they will test one's game, they talk about how beautiful the courses are... especially if they offer a few water features... and how anyone at any skill level can enjoy them.

For an American course to be considered to have "great" archtecture it seems to me that many still require it to match itself against the original UK courses, or those that copy the features found on the UK courses (like NGLA). How many great design concepts are original to this country?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
Michael Whitaker,

I think you could make a case for that position.

I think focusing on beautification rather than architectural values did become popular.

How can you explain all of the shrub and tree plantings initiated under the guise of adding color to the golf course ?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:54 PM »
I think focusing on beautification rather than architectural values did become popular.

Pat - I think it is still the motivating force in most quarters. How else can you explain all the emphasis on lush "green," and flowers, and waterfalls. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing golf in a beautiful environment as much as the next guy... but, there are a number of average tracks out there wearing lots of lipstick and makeup to make me think they are the real deal. You know what I mean?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 11:06:23 PM »
Michael Whitaker,

One of the reasons might be that it's easier to detect the color green, and pretty vegetation, than it is to detect good, mediocre or bad architecture, hence the appeal is to what is commonly recognized.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 08:26:38 PM »
This may sound crazy at first...

the telephone.

Prior to the telephone folks were som much more willing to take in and contemplate their experiences.  As the phone gained popularity, the culture of instant gratification came into existence.  No longer were questions asked via multiple exchanges of letters or golf courses considered and revealed in multiple plays.  Rather all things had to become more instant in nature including the player's ability or opportunity to tke in all of the features of a given hole or course.  It was a major factor in the cultural change which now mandates dumbed down architecture.

Think about it.

JT
Jim Thompson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back