News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Mandel

Re:A Nervous Young Lad Needing Some Experience
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:36 PM »
Jordan,

Follow the lead of the other caddy.  He will show you when to forecaddie and when not to.  Often times there will be short cuts and it will be obvious to forecaddie.   A lot of players don't want the caddie on the tee box, they want them out there saving them strokes(i.e. finding what could be a lost ball) or at least saving them time.

When you do your caddie training they should show you the holes to forecaddie.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
Check your email.  I wrote a caddie guide for my former club.  It was never used.  Too bad, like a lot of my ideas they just never found a home there...and now I am long gone, but apparently not forgotten  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
This is from a powerpoint presentation I made that was not adopted at my old club.  I don't know why as it is pretty good advice.  While much of it is common sense, I also got a good deal of advice from an old Merion GC caddie handbook from the 1950s.

Starting the Round
Appearance:  For your own comfort, wear clothing and footwear suitable to the weather.  Your appearance should be casual, but neat and clean.  Keep in mind, your appearance and conduct are a reflection on the club.

Starting the Round
Attitude:  Be respectful to all the players in your group.  Perform your duties in a pleasant manner and answer all questions to the best of your ability.  Take an interest in your player’s game.  A round of golf is a time of relaxation and recreation for the players.  Your attitude will add a great deal to the enjoyment of the game.

Starting the Round
Introduction:  The Caddiemaster will tell you the player’s name when he assigns the bag.  In most cases the player’s name can also be found on the bag tag.  Greet the player by name and introduce yourself.  Do not start a conversation.  Your greeting should be an introduction only.

Clubs and Bag
Care of the Clubs:  Count the clubs on the first tee.  If you believe that one is missing, quietly call this fact to the attention of the player.  Also advise him/her if they have more than the legal number of clubs (14), especially if he/she is playing in a tournament.  Carry a small towel to clean mud and grass from the clubs.  Keep one end of the towel damp for this purpose.

Clubs and Bag
Carrying the Bag:  Adjust the strap to properly balance the bag.  Proper balance distributes the weight and makes the bag much easier to carry.  Do not sit on the golf bag.  This can damage the bag and also creates an unfavorable impression.  Do not open pockets of the bag for any reason unless specifically asked to do so by the player.

Clubs and Bag
Final Check:  Always check the clubs at the end of the round, and ask the player to check them also.  When carrying two bags, make sure the clubs are in the right bags at the end of the round.  Ask both players to check their clubs before they leave.

How to Caddie
Conduct on the Course:  Do not engage in unnecessary conversation, joking, or horseplay with the other caddie(s) while on the golf course.  And, under no circumstances is a caddie permitted to swing a player’s clubs.  Give your full attention to the game and the needs of your player.  That is what you are being paid to do.

How to Caddie
Advice:  The most important rule in the matter of giving advice is:  never offer advise unless it is requested!  The Caddiemaster will furnish maps of the course.  These maps will contain yardages for all the holes.  Learn to use these yardage markers, and learn to pace off yardages between them.  

How to Caddie
Your player will sometimes ask for advice regarding club selection in addition to yardages.  This can sometimes be a difficult task because the average golfer does not hit the ball with the same consistency as a professional.  However, after a few holes, you should have an idea of the player’s capabilities and be able to do a reasonably good job in the selection of clubs.  Learn how the wind, wet weather, cold, and other factors affect the distance a ball travels.

How to Caddie
Alertness:  Do not sit or lie down while players are driving.  When a ball is hit, you must be on your feet and in a position to follow it.  A player is much less annoyed at losing a ball when his caddie is alert and making every effort to follow it than when he is sitting or lying down with apparent disinterest.

How to Caddie
Pay attention to what the players are doing at all times.  Be aware of the location of every member of your group as well as that of other groups in the area.

How to Caddie
Location of the Ball:  Watch the ball from the moment it is hit until it stops or goes out of sight.  If the ball is hit to high rough, trees, or water, mark the last place the ball was seen by lining up that spot with a tree, bush, or some other landmark, and walk directly in that line.

How to Caddie
Move quickly to the ball, arriving, if possible, before the player.  A frequent complaint about caddies is their inability to keep up with the players.  Make every effort to get to the ball first.  Do not move immediately if doing so will interfere with another player’s shot.

How to Caddie
Out of Bounds:  Out of bounds will be indicated by white stakes or fences along the property lines of the course.  When a ball is hit out of bounds, signal immediately to the player by pointing toward the out of bounds.  If you are not sure if the ball is in or out, signal that it is out and the player will hit a provisional ball.

How to Caddie
The player will simply pick up the second ball if the first one proves to be in bounds.  If you assume the ball to be in bounds and it proves to be out, the player must walk back to the tee to hit another ball.  If the ball is close to the out of bounds marker, but you are sure it is in bounds, signal the player that it is safe by placing your hands palm down and waving them back and forth, in the manner of an umpire in baseball  signaling a runner safe.

How to Caddie   
Arriving at the Ball:  When you arrive at the ball, position yourself about three feet to the right of it and three feet back.  Remove the bag from your shoulder and wait for the player to select his next club.  After the player has selected a club, put the bag back on your shoulder and back away about eight feet.  Remain quiet and still until the shot has been hit, then move on to locate the ball.

How to Caddie
Afford every player in your group the courtesy of remaining still while he hits his shot.  Do not stand in a position that will distract any player who is hitting.

How to Caddie
Replacing Divots and Raking Bunkers:  If the player does not replace his divot, do it for him.  Make sure the divot is placed firmly into the hole as it was removed by the shot so that it will have a chance to take root again.  Rake any bunker your player has entered.  Use the rake provided or, if there is no rake, use a club or your foot to smooth the sand.

How to Caddie
Tending the Pin:  When the ball is on the green, the pin must either be tended while the player is putting, or removed before he starts.  When a ball is off the green, the pin may be left in, removed, or tended, according to the player’s preference.  

How to Caddie
Let the player indicate his preference before you approach the pin.  If the pin is being tended, it must be removed after the ball is hit, and before it reaches the hole.  Penalty to the player for striking a tended pin is the loss of the hole in match play or two strokes in medal play, so be alert.

How to Caddie
When you first take the pin, turn it around a few times to make sure it is loose and will come out easily.  When removing or replacing the pin, be careful not to damage the sides of the hole.  Never stand in another player’s line of sight or allow your shadow to lie across the hole while tending the pin.

How to Caddie
Pride in Caddying:  Take pride in being a good caddie.  Do the best job possible every time.  Remember that every member, regardless of ability, is paying for your time and deserves your best effort.  Enjoy the time you spend as a caddie, but keep in mind that the assignment you get tomorrow depends on the job you did today.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 02:29:02 PM »
One issue I have on forecaddie holes is the OB problem.  What if your player pumps one OB?  Does he have an extra ball in his pocket?  What if he pumps 2 out?  (Hey, I've done it)  They could be playing medal play, in case 'just sit this one out' pops into someone's head.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 02:30:52 PM »
Always, always, always, when tending the flag, stand in the shadow so you don't cover up the hole with the shadow. Locate all the markers around the hole and stand accordingly.

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
One issue I have on forecaddie holes is the OB problem.  What if your player pumps one OB?  Does he have an extra ball in his pocket?  What if he pumps 2 out?  (Hey, I've done it)  They could be playing medal play, in case 'just sit this one out' pops into someone's head.

When playing, I carry an extra ball for that purpose but I sure would not want my caddie to ask me if I have an extra.  My game is fragile enough as it is. :)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 02:37:43 PM »

When playing, I carry an extra ball for that purpose but I sure would not want my caddie to ask me if I have an extra.  My game is fragile enough as it is. :)

Me, too.  Precisely my point.   ;)

Sean Leary

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 02:40:43 PM »

The only reason I am going to be a caddy is to study some cool courses I would not toherwise get a chance to, and possibly play them and meet some nice people.

Jordan,

How are you going to learn about containment if you don't caddy at the local Fazio course ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 02:46:45 PM »
You'll do just fine, my young friend.

Everything you've posted here and your questions on this thread lead me to believe that.

Just remember - it's a JOB (ask your mom and dad about that part)

P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:49:29 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 02:50:06 PM »
To be honest, I could really care less about the money.  I am going to get paid squat.

Jordan,

What do you mean your are going to get paid squat???  If your only carrying one bag I can see how you dont think the money is ok, but once your start carrying double I bet you'll be making between $90-$100 for 4 hours worth of work.  That ain't squat  for a 16 year old ;)

Jason

Kyle Harris

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 03:24:59 PM »
Jordan,

Generally, speak only when spoken to - you are a bag carrier first, and company second.

Always beat your player to the ball.

Remember that very few golfers hit the ball as far as you.

Carrying double can be an art, don't fret if you have to leave one player to attend to another across the fairway - most players understand.

Carrying a double and having the other two in a cart is a gold mine - especially if you're the only caddie in the group.. Help EVERYONE and you'll make a lot of money.

Reading greens is tricky for another person - only give a read when you are asked for one, but ALWAYS read the putt - never hurts to know. I overheard a caddie at HVCC today give 5 HORRIBLE reads in a row including:

"This ball will break nicely to the right"
"That one should go left."

BE SPECIFIC IF ASKED FOR A READ!

Never touch the line of putt when indicating the break.

Make sure the bag is light. Talk to the caddiemaster if he gives you a bag with a dozen balls, the umbrella on a cloudless day and last year's pack of gum that is making everything sticky. He should politely ask the membet to lighten the load but it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the member remembers his stuff after the round.

Work with the other caddies.

Show up, keep up and shut up when in doubt.

And also, remember this statement if you find a particularly light hearted member:

"We make birdies, you make bogeys."  ;)

AND ALWAYS hand the club to the player grip first.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:28:22 PM by Kyle Harris »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 03:29:57 PM »
kyle,

isn't the old line at HVCC everything on the front nine breaks to the left and everything on the back nine breaks to the right!  in short, everything breaks into the valley :)

Jason

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
My $.02:

Read all the posts here, think about everything people say...and then, when you get to the golf course, don't think about it anymore!

If you try to think about all these things on your very first day...well, if I did it, my head might just explode. At the very least, I'd get a headache.

I think lots of people here would agree that you'll have more than enough to think about already. It's your first day of work at your first job. Think about these posts all you want, but when you get to the course, just clear your head, take a deep breath, and do your best.

Pete's right, you'll do just fine.

~Matt

Kyle Harris

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 03:46:10 PM »
kyle,

isn't the old line at HVCC everything on the front nine breaks to the left and everything on the back nine breaks to the right!  in short, everything breaks into the valley :)

Jason

That's just what we tell the away team from the GAP matches.

Speaking of that, when's White Manor gonna challenge up?  ;) :P

Ian Andrew

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 03:55:42 PM »
Jordan,

The only advice I can offer from caddying is figure out what your player wants and don't be afraid to ask. Many will want silence, the ones that don't will engage you in converstaion fairly quickly; everyone will want accurate yardage. Some will want every line, others will want no lines ever.

Find a way to enjoy each round.

Some of the responses are offensive to me considering you are talking a teenage boy. After reading -I'm curious how many here have actually caddied. As someone eloquently had put at the bottom of their posts "Treat a caddy as you would you son or daughter" - not keep up and shut up.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 03:57:11 PM by Ian Andrew »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
Jordan,

off Matt's excellent $.02, the words of jazz great Charlie Parker:

"memorize the changes, and then forget all about them".

[By that Charlie meant that you can't play the music if you're thinking about the form, which is also true for golf. Maybe if you ever get a friendly old guy who's thinking too much about swing mechanics you can freak/help him out by saying something like, "Hey man, as Bird would've said, you gotta memorize the changes and then forget all about them". Would that work at Sahalee, though?]

Peter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 04:11:27 PM »
Ian:

I did caddie for two years when I was Jordan's age.

I quoted the "show up, keep up, shut up" line.  It's a common phrase describing what caddies need to do, as evidenced by how many times others have used it here!

I doubt any of us mean any offense by this.  It just is rather sound advice as a fallback.  That is, err on the side of speaking when being spoken to.  But of course also to thine own self be true....

I'm also curious why you think any of us would disagree with treating one's caddie as one would his son or daughter?  You've now moved to the opposite side of the equation.... but still, that seems obvious to me.  Of course I would never expect any caddie to work in silent servitude if he's carrying for me... But I have seen plenty of golfers who expect exactly that.  

You've kinda lost me here, my friend.

TH
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:16:42 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jason Topp

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
My $.02:

Read all the posts here, think about everything people say...and then, when you get to the golf course, don't think about it anymore!

If you try to think about all these things on your very first day...well, if I did it, my head might just explode. At the very least, I'd get a headache.

I think lots of people here would agree that you'll have more than enough to think about already. It's your first day of work at your first job. Think about these posts all you want, but when you get to the course, just clear your head, take a deep breath, and do your best.

Pete's right, you'll do just fine.

~Matt

Best advice on this thread!

JESII

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 04:38:37 PM »
Guys,

I was just about to recommend that Wayne make up index cards for each chapter in his thesis there. I'll tell you what, next time I play with Wayne I am going to print out that post of his and hand it to the caddy with the warning of that's all this guy expects of you so study up. But then again, Wayne must have been joking, right. ??? ;D ;D

Michael Moore

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »
Talk in an exaggerated "Groundskeeper Willie" brogue.

Smell of whiskey.

Dispense folk wisdom here and there.

Deride your player's game with humorous quips.

Bet on the other guy.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kyle Harris

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »
On the safety side:

If you ever see a ball struck that appears to be headed towards you DO NOT MOVE.

You could be moving right into the ball's line...

Instead cover your head and turn your back to the ball while crouching.

Safety is always first.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »
Always back up chip shots that where the water is in play on the other side of the green.

Be positive
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

JESII

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »
Sir,

Player: "Well, what do you think son?"

Jordan: "I think you can handle this one sir, just land it on the green and let it feed down to the hole."

Player: "OK, lets try that sand wedge"

Jordan: "Just a second, let me get over there by the lake in case you skull it."

Is that what you have in mind Cary? ;D ;D

Jordan,

You'll be fine just as you are.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
JES II

I'm still laughing!

Jordan

I swear, if you ever end a conversation with "just a second, let me get over there by the lake in case you skull it," I will pay you any money you will have lost in the saying

P

Ian Andrew

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »
JES II,

That was very funny.

Huck,

We're talking about kids here, as players we have a responsibility to bring them to the game. They get paid far too little for what they do. The reason we have junior caddy programs is for the benefit to golf - and to bring kids into the game - it has nothing to do with how good a caddy they are for us. If they happen to be good, they make a little extra. If they happen to be excellent young men and women, we get together to help them along in life. That is why we have junior caddy programs.

....and I'll double what Peter says he'll pay you for saying that. ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:27:12 PM by Ian Andrew »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back