News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

Re:How long would it take you to play?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 11:45:45 AM »
At the end of the day, I try for a speed lap of under 1 hr of cart ball with 4 or 6 Y.O. child in tow.  This round can take longer if the kid(s) are cranky or the course has a few groups.

In the A.M., 2:30 with a caddy in a twosome - all business.

Personaly, I like the end of the day, with or without the kid(s).  The sunset is great, and I feel as if I have accomplished something worthwhile, whether I get the full 18 in or not.

JWK

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 12:21:53 PM »
Now that it is getting cold or brisk, the fair weather golfers are thinning out and the course is often nearly empty.  That is when I love to go alone and try shots and fart around.  I don't play for score (although I sometimes get into the Titelist plays the Nike ball thing and play two balls per hole).  I don't feel any challenge to get it done in quick time since no one is ahead or behind to inconvenience them.  Yet, those solo - farting around loops take about an hour 15-30 per 9 to play.  I played in way less time, but don't feel compelled to do so.  I don't take flags out either.  If I miss a chip or pitch, or see that the conditions are right to try something different, I will drop balls until I get one to do what I want, like something skipping in or flopping high, or trying to bore one off the tee low under the wind, etc.  Of course, my success factor is low on the circus stuff I will try, so I use my supply of found balls that I pick up over the year and don't chase the bad ones into the junk yard.  But, when you pull one out of your butt and hit the circus shot just right, it is just a great feeling, and you can entertain dellusions of granduer.  Then, I'll put myself in the fantasy position of needing to hit the miracle shot on the 18th hole of the first open held at Wild Horse to win.  The down side is that you don't have a witness when you pull one off.  I fear getting my first hole in one alone...and worse on my second tee ball... ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 12:44:52 PM »
I have a friend who once proclaimed that men want three things in life: 1-Sex 2-Toys and 3-To be left alone - and not necessarily in that order.  To us, a late afternoon round by oneself on a beautiful Fall afternoon surely is what numbers 2 and 3 are all about.  And if, by chance, we get home and number 1 completes the day - well, then life is good.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
If I have the course to myself, and time, I hit tons of shots, from all over.  

Without any 2nd or 22nd shots, I would take about 2 hours to play 18.  

Philippe Binette

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »
I play a round match play against old man par... so I stay aggressive...

It take 2:10 hours walking

Mickey Boland

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »
I play a lot of late afternoon 9-hole rounds.  Playing just one ball, which I rarely do, I can get around in 1:10 or 1:15 walking.

If you really want to try something hard on those late afternoon rounds, try hitting two shots on every shot and playing the worst one.  Downside is it can be tiring if you're really spraying it and you're walking.  For some late afternoon 9-hole rounds, a buddy and I will hit two tee shots.  Then, I get to pick which tee shot he has to use to play the rest of the hole, and vice versa.  Adds a little challenge to a match.    

Mike_Golden

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2005, 12:20:10 PM »
Mickey, that's a great game.  One I try to play but can rarely finish is to pick the "correct" club for my approaches, and then go up two, so if I see 9 iron, I hit 7, etc.  That's a great way to slow down the swing in a "speed" round, and you get to hit all 3/4 shots all the way around.

Mickey/Shivas,

It's also a really difficult game to play.  There's a member at Lake Merced that had a standing bet that no one could break 90 playing the poorer shot each time.  Legend has it that John Brodie, when he was playing on the Senior Tour, took him up on the bet and quit after 13 holes ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:20:55 PM by Mike Golden »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back