News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re:Just the facts man!
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2005, 11:45:48 PM »
1.HOME COURSE(s): Hop Meadow Country Club, Simsbury, CT & Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club, Pawleys Island, SC
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1): Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken, SC
3.GOLF LIFE: Absolute nut (I don't know the exact definition of 'wanker'); my passion for the game is unbridled.  My GHIN index is 0.1, but I'm more like a 2.  In the summer, I play all day, most every day.  My interest in architecture stems from the time my father handed me a piece of paper and a crayon, and suggested that I draw a golf hole.  I was 6.  I play in tournaments from time to time, but have yet to walk away with any hardware.
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: 10--since the age of 6
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: Collective: The Westminster School golf team winning both year-end tournaments this past Spring.  Individual: Hitting a 7-iron to 2 feet on the 5th hole at Pawleys Plantation in front of 'The Boys' (who go out late on summer afternoons and play for as much as $500 a side ;D).

Damn I love this game.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Doug Siebert

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2005, 12:51:09 AM »
SUPERHERO FEAT: 1st Ace "playing through", in the fog, at a Chicago CCFAD, 2nd at Medinah 17 two weeks later; Hitting it inside 1 foot at both PVGC #5 (in front of 50 people) and CPC #16 , both within one 3 week period; Shooting 70 (with a 12 on one hole) on 2nd day to win Aspen City Championship in 1998.

Sheesh, for a lot of us it would be a "superhero feat" to just be able to play PVGC and CPC within one three week period! ;)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mark_F

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2005, 12:56:07 AM »
Tim Gavrich,

A wanker is someone who likes feeding the chooks.

Sean_A

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2005, 04:12:23 AM »
Now Mark, don't be that way.  Give the kid a break.  You never know, you may be asking him for extra shots in a crucial match one day.  It was a funny line though.

Ciao

Sean

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Lapper

« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »
SUPERHERO FEAT: 1st Ace "playing through", in the fog, at a Chicago CCFAD, 2nd at Medinah 17 two weeks later; Hitting it inside 1 foot at both PVGC #5 (in front of 50 people) and CPC #16 , both within one 3 week period; Shooting 70 (with a 12 on one hole) on 2nd day to win Aspen City Championship in 1998.

Sheesh, for a lot of us it would be a "superhero feat" to just be able to play PVGC and CPC within one three week period! ;)

It was "Superhero" month 8) ;D......easily my most fun golfing year (inc. 3 weeks down under)....ahhh the good old days!! :'(
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2005, 10:01:03 AM »
Michael.........In my early post on this thread I failed to include my favorite course.

So please add Royal Dornoch to the list.

I was gonna say Studio City, but 'cause Tom Huckaby seems to be sooo proud of his singular status, well, I'll leave it to him!

Thanks for the compilations, Michael.

Tom

Tom - I knew you were a gentleman.  Long live Studio City par three!

TH

ps - Joe Perches - SoCal golf bon vivant and sometimes-regular in here - knows way more about the course and has likely played it more than me.  Thus his legendary status as well.   ;)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2005, 02:40:37 PM »
HOME COURSE: Atlanta Munis
FAVORITE: Tain
GOLF LIFE: Bought first clubs from Sears age 8;  learned to play at a course called Par 56, where Larry Nelson later started;  used to hurl my younger brother from golf carts by slamming on brakes.
YEARS PLAYED: 40
SUPERHERO FEAT: Barred from Atlanta Golf Classic for scalping tickets (age 11)

THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Kirk Gill

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2005, 03:30:35 PM »
1.HOME COURSE - Spring Valley Golf Club
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1) TOC
3.GOLF LIFE...  Wanker of some repute........I can't seem to look at a gorgeous landscape without thinking about the golf hole I want to put upon it.......
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING...34
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT! Brutally slicing a ball off of the roof of the corrugated metal shed on The Road Hole which careened back into the middle of the fairway. My playing partner, an R&A member, said he had never seen such a thing before.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Brian Noser

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2005, 05:27:23 PM »
Alright here I go

Home course
If i had to say one it would be Tapawingo in St Louis.
Favorite course
Pebble Beach
golf life
High School golf for 5 year(shhhh) capitain 2 years. Played college golf Webster University 2 years. MVP both years and most improved second year. All confrence honerable mention and second team. currently 3 handicap.
PLaying for how long
been playing golf for about 18 years.
Golf super hero feat.
do not really have one yet, its coming soon though!!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »
Thank you to all 80 of you that have responded to this thread.  I have updated the list and make some spelling corrections (Ryan, I must have been thinking of a Stimp meter ;D).  

The link to the word document is posted below...

http://home.comcast.net/~myklgolf/just_the_facts_man.doc

Some very unscientific findings...

CPC is hands down your favorite course --12 votes
PV  #2--5 votes
TOC
SH
Dornoch
shinny all tied for 3rd --4 votes
Pacific Dunes favorite newer course w/3 votes

Curiously, we are very light in the YaBB GOD department for responses...You'd think that they could put down the knitting needles and stop talking about Arts and Crafts for just one minute :P :P :P

I really am not this bad of a stat geek, I am just trying to pass the time while wating for the rain to stop.  I have had 15+ inches since the 18th of December...

Take care,

Michael Hayes
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2005, 06:38:13 PM »
Some of my favorite golf superhero feats...I won't name names, you can find those...

I must admit I'm a mere mortal when it comes to golf, though I did play 144 holes in three days at Bandon this summer.  Two of the three days, my group was both first on and last off the course we played.  If it were really a superhero feat, then I probably wouldn't have consumed as many painkillers.  

Ran a sub 65 minute 10-mile race in the morning and then played 2 matches in my club's 2-man team competition in the PM, carrying my bag. We lost but I was still standing at the end

Maybe the "called" 3 wood directly to head of a Canada goose from 225 yards...while playing with my two impressionable, young sons

1st Ace "playing through", in the fog, at a Chicago CCFAD, 2nd at Medinah 17 two weeks later; Hitting it inside 1 foot at both PVGC #5 (in front of 50 people) and CPC #16 , both within one 3 week period; Shooting 70 (with a 12 on one hole) on 2nd day to win Aspen City Championship in 1998

Barred from Atlanta Golf Classic for scalping tickets (age 11)

Played Pebble last December in a torrential rainstorm (began to hail on 14 green) with the hilarious Gerry Barad, who actually played pretty well, sans gore-tex.  I hit a seagull with a booming drive on 10, which did not survive the incident.

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2005, 10:52:52 PM »
Home Course: Will soon be one of either Kilmore or Heathcote Golf Clubs

Fav Course: Brora

Golf Life:  Have spent too moany of my early years getting injured playing Footy, and sunburnt playing Cricket.  So Golf has taken a back seat as purely a social game. Anywhere between 2-20 rounds a year

Years: About 22

Golf Superhero Feat:  26 Courses in 2 months around Scotland and Ireland.  Staying in hostels and backpacking half of the time with my clubs.  Also slept in my car outside Hoylake.

And Michael just FYI it is currently 42 degrees Celcius and rising here in Country Victoria Australia. I'm inside too but it is seeking the cold not escaping from it.  

David_Madison

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »
Home Course:  Governors Club in Chapel Hill, NC

Favorite: Oakmont

Year Playing: 34

Golf Life: One of those hated GD raters; also have designed in my head at least 1500 perfect holes that would fit perfectly on the rolling farmland  that I'm always seeing while driving around NC

Golf Superhero Feats: Made a hole-in-five at Boynton Beach Muni - - 2 balls in water, then holed out from tee; back-to-back eagles at World Woods Pine Barrons

Scott Witter

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2005, 01:49:21 PM »
1. Home Course: Don't have one..not enough time with work and family to call one home, besides I enjoy playing many different courses each year.

2.  Favorite Course:  Of those I have played, Oak Hill East

3.  Golf Life:  Golf Course Architect since 1995

4.  Golfing Years:  Started at age 12 or so..snuck on local home courses, all public, played every chance available until 17 and loved it every time my mom or dad would drop me and my friends off at a local daily fee.  I can remember countless times playing all day...I mean ALL DAY!  now 48 years old

5.  Golf Superhero Feat:  I wouldn't call it a superhero feat and my answer is purely from a golfers standpoint, in 1992 I played TOC.  I had spent three weeks studying courses across the highlands and it rained, it was October, almost all three weeks.  When I arrived at TOC it was raining hard the night before I was to play.  Got up around 5 am went to the starter signed up and was called to play at 10:20 I'll never forget it!  Hit a smooth five wood and tucked one close to 8 feet on the 1st.  Birdied the 3rd and 12th holes and proceeded to shoot 42-43 for what I felt was the round of my life!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2005, 02:18:59 PM »
Curiously, we are very light in the YaBB GOD department for responses...You'd think that they could put down the knitting needles and stop talking about Arts and Crafts for just one minute

While I have not participated in the A&C thread, and technically by virtue of an addiction to this GCA.com group, I am a YaBB god, and I've finished that afgan I been knitting... here you go with the survey:

Home Course: Brown County Golf Course Green Bay, WI, and Wild Horse, Gothenburg NE. (I can claim such since I own a lot there and play it as much as some of these poor workaholics on this site that only play 10 times a year anywhere).

Favorite course:  Tied at Sand Hills and Wild Horse, but only one, Wild Horse get the nod.

Golf life:  Didn't start to play often until age 38.  Did try to develop one course and homesite project that failed.  Foozler - not being able to break the 12 handicap barrier.  Hobbiest reader of as much GCA and Turf material as I can.

Years Golfing:  57 - 38 = about 19

Golf super hero feat:  Shirley, you jest... ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Okula

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2005, 02:53:14 PM »
Home course: Golf de Joyenval (RT Jones Sr, 1992)
                   Paris, France
Favorite course: St Andrews Old
Years: Playing (badly) since the '60's.
Golf life: GCS since 1980
Golf superhero feat: Being the one person of this group that thinks Jeff Bauer DOES  know his ass from a hole in the ground.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

peter_p

« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2005, 08:49:28 PM »
Home Course: The Reserve Vineyards &GC in Aloha, OR

Favorite Course: Pacific Dunes, previously Prestwick

Golf: played for 50 years, have been on greens and handicap committees, rater for one year, rules official locally for fifteen years.  

Superhero: father, who passed away this November, age 90. From Oregon we drove across country, played Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Pinehurst, then to Scotland for 11 rounds in 8 days. He was 60 and suffered greatly when his white hair was dyed light blue when his hat bled during a really rainy, cold and windy day at Turnberry. He may have started the craze.

Feat. Took a two stroke penalty at the turn when I asked the head pro for help with swing with my Hogan fairway wood. Worth it because two holes later I had the first of three 'gimmie' eagles with the club within a week.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 08:50:36 PM by Peter Pittock »

Tim Hilger

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2005, 11:30:27 PM »
I've been reading this board for over a year and this is my first post. This board has influenced me to play at least two courses I can think of (Rustic Canyon and Wild Horse); to read Doak's and Shackleford's books; and I've referred to this board often while planning an upcoming Scotland trip (lineup = Carnoustie Burnside, TOC, Jubilee, Royal Dornoch, Tain, Carnoustie Championship and Dunbar).

HOME COURSE: Every L.A. muni.

FAVE: Bethpage Black (but one of my golf buddies plays Studio City occassionally with his non-golfer cousin - maybe I need to give it a try).

GOLF YEARS: Dad gave me a 9-iron for my 9th birthday. It was the day Palmer won the U.S. Open.

SUPERHERO: Palmer (who else?).

PERSONAL FEAT: I discovered Bethpage! (I first played it in the early 80s, started telling my golf buddies how great it was, and have exercised my itoljaso bragging rights a kajillion times over since it was announced as the site of the Open). ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #118 on: January 01, 2006, 01:11:39 AM »
Golf superhero feat: Being the one person of this group that thinks Jeff Bauer DOES  know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Steve, you are far too modest.  To proclaim Jerry Garcia as the greatest rock guitarist in history is definitely a superhero feat.   ;D

Just kidding.  I enjoyed that discussion, and this thread.  Have a great 2006.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Orchard Hills, Washougal, WA
Assuming limited to those I've played, Bully Pulpit
Software Engineer
40 years, with a 25+ year hiatus in the middle where I was lucky to average a round per year.
Hitting two consecutive shots with a Shakespeare fiberglass shafted 2 wood (remember those) for a combined total of 600 yards. Being a poor college student back then, I was undoubtedly playing a rock flite.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Shane Sullivan

« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »
1.HOME COURSE(s): Huatang, Beijing
2.FAVORITE COURSE (ONLY 1): National Old
3.GOLF LIFE: Started five years ago.  My husband and I joined a club in Indonesia (living in Singapore) before I had played one round.  My first golfing experience was 9 holes of a lovely Nicklaus course with buggy and caddy - no lessons, no nothing.  I thought all golf involved buggies and caddies for a while . . . . Now I walk (still have a caddy) and my handicap is 16.
4.HOW MANY YEARS OF GOLFING: 5
5.GOLF SUPERHERO FEAT: I hit my driver off the deck quite a bit and fairly well - does that count as a superhero feat?

ed_getka

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2006, 10:49:56 AM »
Home course: Rustic Canyon (keep in mind it is 350 miles from my house)
Fave: Sand Hills
Golf life: 30 years. Bought first clubs at a flea market for $5 not knowing anything about the game. Went out to the local course and started hitting the ball around and have been doing it ever since. Architecture interest was spurred by Arnold Palmer's Situation Golf (the one that shows a hole and how 3 different level golfers would approach playing it).
Superhero: Herbert Warren Wind (lunches with Herb were the highlight of my golfing life)
Superhero feat: Golf trip to Michigan: Fly redeye from Calif. to Detroit arrive 6am, drive straight to Kingsley Club and played 36 holes, had dinner, crashed. Day 2 Crystal Downs 36 holes, had a member join us on the 3rd hole, we hit it off, had drinks after golf and then out to dinner and talked golf until 11pm, left from restaurant and drove 4 hours down to Lost Dunes, golfed 18 with Shivas, realized I forgot about a time zone change, rushed out of Lost Dunes, drove like a maniac to Detroit to catch return flight, paid someone at the counter to check in my rental (since our flight was taking off in about 5 minutes) and flew home. Whew!
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
Home Course - Pine Hill, NJ
Favorite Course - Shinnecock
Golf Life - I just love the game.
Years Golfing - about 10, I first picked up a golf club in college during the off-season (soccer).
SuperHero Feat - 77 from the tippy tips at Bethpage Black one magical morning.

-Ted

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2006, 11:27:05 AM »
Home course - NJ munis and daily fee courses

Fave course - gotta be Bethpage Black, even though I was lucky to play most great courses in Scotland, Ireland, and even Pebble and Shinnecock. Why, you'll ask? I love the fact that it is a blue-collar muni track, and the way this brute just sits in front of you when you stand on the first tee, promising to kick your butt, and then it keeps its promise (in most cases!). I love everything about Bethpage Black - the approach to Bethpage State Park, the Clubhouse, the gruffy starter, the majesty and intimidation of the bunkering, everything, that is, other than 5 hour rounds.

Golf life: started too late - was 33, now am 48. Broke 80 a couple of times on legit tracks, but now breaking 90 is a rare occurrence.

Golf superhero feat - I actually eagled the 5th on TOC, playing off of 18 handicap, my first time in Scotland, in 1993. The course was playing firm and I hit a driver and 3-wood to 20 feet, and sank a long curler on a perfect, sunny, warm September day in the Grey Ol' Toon.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
Home Course-Under construction
Fave-TOC
Golf life-Played since I was a kid, been on the maint. side of things since '93
Superhero feat-Playing Carnoustie in a 30 mph wind with Garry Cox, GCA member, in 2000. Playing #12 (I think???, know someone will give me shit if I got the hole # wrong) I hit a poor drive and hooked my second into the gorse left and short of the green. Only shot was left handed or backward pitch. Caddy wanted me to pitch out, instead I turned my back to the hole and with the club in my right hand hit a one in a million pitch over greenside bunker to 10 feet and made the putt for par.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back