News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Arts & Crafts sidetrack
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2005, 11:15:37 PM »
"TE
Is your A&C movement knowledge limited to what you've read in my essay. Do you see in any of those quotes above that Pugin's religious devotion influenced Ruskin and Morris and the A&C movement?"

Tom:

For anyone who can read there most certainly is plenty in those quotations that are YOUR essay which explain that Pugin's religous zeal and beliefs (devotion) influnenced the A/C Movement. Do you really need me to quote what you wrote about him once again to prove that? I sure hope not, as that would be really pathetic on your part.

Is my knowledge of the A/C Movement limited to what I've read in your essay? It certainly is not but it's probably just about time that you refrain from answering everyone's questions of you on this subject with the question---"Is that all you know about the A/C Movement?"

I'm quoting your essay and questioning you on what you wrote because that's the best way to show the fallacies of your premise AND your conclusion, and some of the rest of what you wrote in that five part essay  ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2005, 11:17:37 PM »
You just said 'The diverse artists of the A&C Movement'!! Aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself and a bit ahead of your argument and your premise in an historical context?

Its not my arguement....read a book or two on the period.

Do you actually think that some of us are accepting of your premise that all the social and aesthetic thought of that time was a result of the Arts and Crafts Movement or even influenced by it? Or for that matter even aware of it???

Those who have basic understanding of the period? Yes. You? No.

Do you actually think we are accepting of your premise that the best of the early architects, Findlay, Park, Leeds, Emmett, Ross,  Bendelow, Travis, Macdonald, Thomas, Tillinghast, Wilson, Fownes, Crump, Flynn, Raynor, Behr, Maxwell, Mackenzie, Banks, Bell, Hunter, Egan, Strong, Langford, Thompson were what could even remotely be called 'the diverse artists of the A/C Movement'???

No. How many of these gents were on the ground in London around the turn of the century? You've wandered off....see Hutchinson, Park, Fowler, Colt, Abercromby, Mure Ferguson, Paton, Low, Hutchison, Hutchings, Simpson, Alison, Hilton, Campbell.

That's what you seem to be saying here. That's what you've always said regarding the A/C Movement and its connection and influence on Golden Age golf architecture---its influence, its importance, its pervasiveness is a given to you. Well, it is not a given. And that's precisely what's wrong with your entire conclusion of your A/C Movement essay. Your first assumption and your premise that these people and what they were doing were some part of the A/C Movement is not a given at all.

Its not a given to you, because your knowledge of the period is based upon by essay.

They were not the 'diverse artists of the A/C Movement', as you say. And it most certainly was not because the A/C Movement had not been given a name or whatever else remotely like that stupid rationalization you might give us next. If they had been all part of 'the diverse artists of the A/C Movement', at least some of them most certainly would've said something about it. No one ever mentioned it and there's a very good reason for that---and that is it wasn't their influence, certainly not a significant one. They spoke about their influences, and wrote about them---it can't be missed in the literature and chronicles they wrote on the history and evolution of golf course architecture.

Again, you obviously know nothing about the period and know nothing about art history...when you continue to say they certainly would have mentioned it in their writings. You also need to re-focus on London and the beginning of the golden age....you've wandered off again.

In my opinion, your conclusion on the A/C Movement's influence on golf course architecture is bankrupt and I think that's being proven here.

Why? Because you don't understand the period? You have not refuted a single point. You have nothing to contribute of substance...no facts, no information. You are all conjecture.

You say the surface of the history of golf course architecture has not yet even been scratched!? That too is preposterous, Tom MacWood. You obviously say something like that because you think you and your research is going to turn up some massive historical find regarding golf architecture's history. I say, that's not going to happen, not from you or probably anyone. Golf architecture's history is in its books on its history. It's up to us to read them and reread them. And if you think you're going to revise them, you're wrong.

Speeking of scracthing the surface, what do you make of Hutchinson and Macdonald's visit to Boston and Ross's subsequent trip to the UK to study GCA?

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:40:55 PM by Tom MacWood »

T_MacWood

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2005, 11:23:33 PM »
"TE
Is your A&C movement knowledge limited to what you've read in my essay. Do you see in any of those quotes above that Pugin's religious devotion influenced Ruskin and Morris and the A&C movement?"

Tom:

For anyone who can read there most certainly is plenty in those quotations that are YOUR essay which explain that Pugin's religous zeal and beliefs (devotion) influnenced the A/C Movement. Do you really need me to quote what you wrote about him once again to prove that? I sure hope not, as that would be really pathetic on your part.

Is my knowledge of the A/C Movement limited to what I've read in your essay? It certainly is not but it's probably just about time that you refrain from answering everyone's questions of you on this subject with the question---"Is that all you know about the A/C Movement?"

I'm quoting your essay and questioning you on what you wrote because that's the best way to show the fallacies of your premise AND your conclusion, and some of the rest of what you wrote in that five part essay  ;)

You don't know anything about the movement do you? You cannot bring anything to the table independent of my essay except you summered in A&C inspired home.

TEPaul

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2005, 11:29:44 PM »
"Bob
Little 'a', little 'c'. I'm sure your uncles had A&C objects within their homes: something (carpter, wallpaper, furniture, etc) from Morris & Co, Liberty or Heal & Sons or perhaps a garden inspired by Jekyll."

Bob:

Come on, admit it---is all this a stretch, or what?? I hear you about what you say about your uncle's opinon of the A/C Movement but Tom MacWood is trying to convince you your uncle must have had something of it in his house---obviously because MacWood contends the A/C Movement affected and influenced every social and aesthetic thought on earth.

You know what the irony of his statement about your uncle and the A/C Movement is? A few months ago I told Tom MacWood my grandfather had a massive house in Dark Harbor (Ilseboro) Maine that was probably one of the best examples of A/C architecture there was (actually written about by architects), and the family got Country Life every week for a hundred years. You know what MacWood's response to that was??

Yep, you guessed it, he said: "So what, what do you know about the "Arts and Crafts" Movement?  ;);):)

T_MacWood

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2005, 11:35:41 PM »
"Bob
Little 'a', little 'c'. I'm sure your uncles had A&C objects within their homes: something (carpter, wallpaper, furniture, etc) from Morris & Co, Liberty or Heal & Sons or perhaps a garden inspired by Jekyll."

Bob:

Come on, admit it---is all this a stretch, or what?? I hear you about what you say about your uncle's opinon of the A/C Movement but Tom MacWood is trying to convince you your uncle must have had something of it in his house---obviously because MacWood contends the A/C Movement affected and influenced every social and aesthetic thought on earth.

You know what the irony of his statement about your uncle and the A/C Movement is? A few months ago I told Tom MacWood my grandfather had a massive house in Dark Harbor (Ilseboro) Maine that was probably one of the best examples of A/C architecture there was (actually written about by architects), and the family got Country Life every week for a hundred years. You know what MacWood's response to that was??

Yep, you guessed it, he said: "So what, what do you know about the "Arts and Crafts" Movement?  ;);):)

Do you think staying in that home gave you a special insight into Ruskin, Morris and the A&C movement? Was it the Holiday Inn Express of its day?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:36:13 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2005, 11:47:41 PM »
"You don't know anything about the movement do you? You cannot bring anything to the table independent of my essay except you summered in A&C inspired home."

Tom Boy, you actually said it again! If anyone at all challenges you on anything to do with the A/C Movement, all you can say is; "You don't know much about the A/C Movement, do you?" We're talking about a guy whose been in art and design school for seven years and is five times more intelligent and articulate than you are, a guy who's a golf architect, building architect, land planner, artist whose talent and understanding about golf course architecture you couldn't hold a candle to and others whose lifes and knowledge you have no clue about and all you can say to all of their questioning and challenging of your A/C conclusions are, "you don't know much about the A/C Movement?/!  ;):)

Pal, on this subject, on this website, you've been proven to be what you really are---a revisionist who can't remotely support or defend what you wrote. You told me a number of times you're an 'expert researcher/writer'. I don't think you're much more than a joke, but I'm still hoping someday, somehow, you can do or say something to correct that!  ;)

DMoriarty

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2005, 11:50:51 PM »
Did golf course architecture influence the movement or did the movement influence the architecture?  I'd say neither unless further evidence comes to light.  As for what would constitute cause and effect, it is very simple, really.  An example of cause and effect would be if any one of a number of classic era architects said "My golf architecture was influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement."  Why is the concept of cause and effect so difficult to understand?  I know it has yet to be produced.  You yourself admit that the question has not been answered.

I agree that the first question is the pertinent one.  And surely if they all swore on a stack of bibles that their architecture was influenced by the arts and crafts movement then we'd have the proof you require.  

But surely a written statement by the influenced party isn't the only compelling evidence of influence, is it?   After all, by your affirmation requirement, you've just erased much of the Arts and Crafts Movement from the history books.  For example, by your requirement it is very likely that Morris himself should not be considered part of the movement.  It was not a self-identifying or even a self-aware movement, at least not across the board.  

And again, these AC practioners did not necessarily look to each other for inspiration, but rather looked back to the roots of their respective fields, to the pre-Victorian state of the Art.  An example, from above.  Gertrude Jekyll was a AC Practioner, but when she writes of her craft she harkens back to Humphry Repton, a figure that long predates teh AC Movement.   This is what made her a AC Practioner, her rejection of the current and return to the pre-Victorian Roots of her field.

At least some of the gca do likewise.  Behr and MacDonald reject the current and harken back to Repton, arguing that his principles ought to be a guiding light for gca.  Colt cites Repton's school of thought as a source for gcas.  

I'm not sure why you require more of the gca's than you do of the AC Practioners.  

Merion East evolved over some 25 or so years.  The changes from 1912 to 1934 were very dramatic.  You say it is due to the influence of the Arts and Crafts movement.  What makes you think so?  Surely it must be more than if it were so it would serve to prove your hypothesis.

As I said in my last post, I was referring to the previous course at the previous location.   But I'd be curious as to what influence you think the links and heathland courses had on Merion from 1912 through the 30's.  

If you base your understanding of the Merion course in Haverford due to pictures like the one you posted, I think your characterization might need more support.  If it is accurate, it would be by due to accident rather than by research method.

I dont have much of an "understanding" of the Merion course in Haverford.  I've never focused my studies on it.  That beiung said, I have read descriptions of it and seen a few photos, more than just that one photograph which does depict "dark ages" type features.  

But I am here to learn, not to teach.  So let's assume it is as you first thought when you assumed that I knew nothing about the origins of Merion whatsoever.  I ask you, did the Haverford course at Merion fit the general description of a "dark ages" course?  To what degree?

I don't know what you mean by sacred topic.  Who considers any of this sacred?  Not I.

Terrific.  Then you won't mind focusing the conversation for a bit on the influences at Merion.  

If you made the comments, surely you must have figured out whether they check out or not.  I suppose to you they do.

Why would you assume this?  As I said, I am here to learn, not to teach.   From the beginning I told you your knowledge of the subject is much greater than mine, which is why I chose it as my example.  So I could see if Merion fits in with the theory.   If I thought I knew everything about Merion I'd probably write a book or something.  

The truth is, every since I got to see Merion East recently I have been stewing over just what the influences were. This seems like as good as place as any to explore this.  

Any influence on Merion East was due to Hugh Wilson, William Flynn and to a lesser degree Joe Valentine.  Only Wilson went overseas to study courses in the UK.  Flynn was never there. None of these men cited the Arts and Crafts movement as inspiring their work or the changes to Merion.  

Interesting.  I recall reading at some point that MacDonald and at least on other experienced architect advised on the project.  Is this incorrect?  Did those involved cite anyone outside of golf course architecture as inspiration?  

Flynn believed strongly in naturalism (as evidenced by his work on the ground and his writings) and I think the evolution of the course bears this out.  What you fail to grasp is that this can be a result independent of some arts movement no matter how pervasive you like to think of it.

I dont fail to grasp that this could result independently from "some arts movement."  But I am curious, from where did his strong belief in "naturalism" come.   I also think that great men are rarely unaware of what is going on in the world around them, and that it is unlikely that these great men had absolutely no exposure to ideas and philosophies that eventually became known as arts and crafts.   Not that this means that AC was their primary influence; but it does make it more difficult to totally seperate what they were doing from what is going on around them.  

The attribution that you and Tom alledge requires a far higher degree of proof.

Let's take a step back here for a minute.  It is not fair to TomM to lump our views together.   In fact, we have very different takes on this whole thing.  

And I havent alledged anything.  Frankly, I don't think TomM has made his case.  Yet.  But he has hit on something interesting and worth pursuing.   I was encouraged by the other thread when he was setting out in an entirely new direction-- the influence of Landscape Architecture.  But unfortunately his antagonists will have nothing of a exploratory discussion.    

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:56:10 AM by DMoriarty »

TEPaul

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2005, 11:52:57 PM »
"Do you think staying in that home gave you a special insight into Ruskin, Morris and the A&C movement? Was it the Holiday Inn Express of its day?"

Tom MacW:

Do I think staying in that home gave me a special insight into Rushkin and Morris? Well, no not exactly but it certainly gave me a pretty good insight into Arts and Crafts Architecture. The rest of the island gave me a great insight into the entire architectural ethos of the arts and crafts era in America, and that's a lot more than you'll ever learn in books and magazines. Philadelphia is a pretty interesting hub of A/C architecture and one of my favorite places for the last three decades is Wharton Esherick place and all that goes with it. But I guess you're still the only one on here who understands anything about the A/C Movement, right Tom MacWood?  ;)

It's getting pretty close to the end of the road for you and your A/C Movement sham, and I can tell you know that, and I think most of the others can tell that too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:10:23 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2005, 12:27:54 AM »
D Moriarty writes:

"At least some of the gca do likewise.  Behr and Repton reject the current and harken back to Repton, arguing that his principles ought to be a guiding light for gca.  Colt cites Repton's school of thought as a source for gcas."

Hmmmm! Behr and Repton reject the current and harken back to Repton?? I'd heard Humphrey Repton had schizo problems but I didn't know they were quite that bad.

Seriously, this whole A/C Movement issue and argument and its influence on GCA has been going on here for a long long time but it seems like the recent thread on landscape architecture's art form and its history and its influence on golf course architecture to come was most interesting and probably relatively significant. Repton, and his landscape principles certainly was mentioned in writing a number of times by early European and American golf architects.

But the A/C Movement and a significant influence on GCA? I don't think so. Repton and the A/C Movement? It sure had no influence on him and his ideas on his art form since he was long gone before the A/C Movement began. The other heavyweight English landscape architect--Lancelot "Capabilty" Brown? He was long gone before Repton was a twinkle in his Papa's eye.

And Tom MacWood's theories on the A/C Movement's influence on GCA are totally bankrupt.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:29:23 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2005, 01:31:33 AM »
Adam Foster Collins says he thinks the points have been well made regarding questions about and challenges to Tom MacWood's A/C Movement thesis, and that was the point and most logical minds should see that and I should respectfully conclude the head butting as he has.

Since I have as much respect for him as anyone I can think of on this site, I think I'll try to do that.

And to Tom MacWood I'd like to say I'm very glad he started this thread as well as the one he started on landscape architecture and golf. To me both subjects continue to be hugely interesting and worthwhile.

Despite the adverserialness and such I think it's a whole helluva lot better that we had these discussions, even arguments, than if we didn't. Opinions, even very strong ones get put out there, maybe they do duel but that's a good thing. GOLFCLUBATLAS is a place where that can happen and should happen.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 01:35:25 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2005, 06:31:24 AM »
TE
What exactly would those points be? Could you present them in bullet point form?

AFC's first point was the golf architects of the golden age did not mention the A&C movment by name, so they couldn't have been influenced. It was then explained to him no one mentioned the A&C movement by name, including Ruskin, Morris and Burne-Jones (I can only conclude he really does not have a good understanding of the movement). He then said well then, they did not mention the key figures by name...evidently he did not read the essay too carefully....they were mentioned by name.

His next attempt were these points:

• All of those un-natural bunkers with imported sand were ok. The sand in heathland was not imported and the bunkers were a representative of the links, in contrast to the Victorian trenches
• There's no emphasis on social reform or working conditions of laborers. Were the working conditions of Golf course labourers poor? Afterall they were outdoors and craftsmen working with their hands. And many of the A&C practioners rejected the social reform aspect of the movement.
• Not much talk of free individual expression on the part of the artist or designer Do not Park, Fowler, Colt and Abercromby's have their own indiviualistic style? Didn't Hutchinson, Darwin and others comment about their individualism (read the essay).
• plenty of talk of how linksland golf is the way to go. Often, we see architects (with their abhorence of trees and love of the links) in some ways really preaching that we should do our best to move the links model of golf inland as intact as we can. (such importation of a ready-made model is far from A&C philosophy in terms of the use of the natural and the interest in regionalism).That is why they thrived in the Heathland and that is consistant with the A&C message of drawing inspiration from the past.

I don't really think he did that good of job, but he is entitled to his opinion.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:32:49 AM by Tom MacWood »

wsmorrison

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2005, 06:34:17 AM »
"But surely a written statement by the influenced party isn't the only compelling evidence of influence, is it?  After all, by your affirmation requirement, you've just erased much of the Arts and Crafts Movement from the history books.  For example, by your requirement it is very likely that Morris himself should not be considered part of the movement.  It was not a self-identifying or even a self-aware movement, at least not across the board."

David M,

You seem blinded by your unwavering adherence to the notion that the A and C movement had a broad and deep influence on everything.  You asked what would demonstrate a cause and effect.  I gave you one example.  Not the only possibility but just one since none ocurred to you.  Your typical response is to attack that one example as the only example and one you can shoot down.  Stop this nonsense.

"Gertrude Jekyll was a AC Practioner, but when she writes of her craft she harkens back to Humphry Repton, a figure that long predates teh AC Movement.  This is what made her a AC Practioner, her rejection of the current and return to the pre-Victorian Roots of her field."

Well that is of little use in discussing golf course architecture.  Why do you extend this philosophy across the board to all artistic endeavors?  Could it also be that the reason Flynn and others were inspired by naturalism is that courses built in that style looked better but also could be maintained better over the years, that they were more permanent in that manner?  Flynn, as one of the great early greenkeepers in America wrote of that as is inspiration rather than being swept up in an arts and crafts movement.

"At least some of the gca do likewise.  Behr and MacDonald reject the current and harken back to Repton, arguing that his principles ought to be a guiding light for gca.  Colt cites Repton's school of thought as a source for gcas."

Please cite examples where these men demonstrate an influence by Repton.  Was Repton a part of the Arts and Crafts movement?  If Colt, Behr and Macdonald all cite the principles of Aand C as directly influencing their architecture and not simply some movements in landscape architecture, then why is there any debate at all?

"I'm not sure why you require more of the gca's than you do of the AC Practioners."

I don't.  I simply am not persuaded by your argument that golf course architects are AC practitioners.

"As I said in my last post, I was referring to the previous course at the previous location.  But I'd be curious as to what influence you think the links and heathland courses had on Merion from 1912 through the 30's."

The Haverford course of the Merion Cricket Club would be considered in your mind Victorian.  The first course in Ardmore was somewhere in between geometric and natural yet it was not a quantum departure.  I suppose you think there then must be a direct connection or influence on the A and C.  The alleged influence fits YOUR mindset but that does not indicate proof.

"I dont have much of an "understanding" of the Merion course in Haverford.  I've never focused my studies on it.  That beiung said, I have read descriptions of it and seen a few photos, more than just that one photograph which does depict "dark ages" type features."

I never said one photograph.  Read my post, I said "pictures."  In the photo you posted (likely given to you by TMac) which features are dark ages?  The tiny tee?

"Terrific.  Then you won't mind focusing the conversation for a bit on the influences at Merion."

Don't patronize me.  I do not like your tone and suggest you refrain from using it again.  The influences at Merion are hard to determine, likely impossible.  Merion was constantly being changed.  Which Merion design iteration do you refer to?   As to focusing a conversation on it, that would be difficult as you do not converse but pontificate.

"Interesting.  I recall reading at some point that MacDonald and at least on other experienced architect advised on the project.  Is this incorrect?  Did those involved cite anyone outside of golf course architecture as inspiration?"

Your friend Tom MacWood and George Bahto believe there was advise offered by Macdonald and Whigham.  You probably recall reading TMac's opinion on the matter.  In fact club minutes demonstrate these gentlemen came to the site in 1910 to look the land over before purchase.  They declared the site suitable for golf and the committee went ahead and purchased the property.  I guess Macdonald and Whigham didn't foresee having to cross Ardmore Avenue four times to fit the course in.  Its a good thing that more land was purchased and the course remodeled or it would not exist today.  Perhaps they did come back and checked in on the progress.  Does this mean they advised materially on the design?  That would be unsupported speculation to believe so.

"But I am curious, from where did his strong belief in "naturalism" come. "

As I said, in Flynn's case it was both an aesthetic and maintenance cost matter.  Flynn had the vision to spend more during construction to save money over the long run.

"I also think that great men are rarely unaware of what is going on in the world around them, and that it is unlikely that these great men had absolutely no exposure to ideas and philosophies that eventually became known as arts and crafts.  Not that this means that AC was their primary influence; but it does make it more difficult to totally seperate what they were doing from what is going on around them. "

I didn't say they didn't have any exposure to ideas and philosophies.  I do maintain that as yet there is no proof of there being a significant influence.  No cause and effect.

"And I havent alledged anything.  Frankly, I don't think TomM has made his case.  Yet."

Ah, well.  We agree there.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:37:03 AM by Wayne Morrison »

T_MacWood

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2005, 06:50:36 AM »
"Your friend Tom MacWood and George Bahto believe there was advise offered by Macdonald and Whigham.  You probably recall reading TMac's opinion on the matter.  In fact club minutes demonstrate these gentlemen came to the site in 1910 to look the land over before purchase.  They declared the site suitable for golf and the committee went ahead and purchased the property.  I guess Macdonald and Whigham didn't foresee having to cross Ardmore Avenue four times to fit the course in.  Its a good thing that more land was purchased and the course remodeled or it would not exist today.  Perhaps they did come back and checked in on the progress.  Does this mean they advised materially on the design?  That would be unsupported speculation to believe so."

Wayne
They made more than one visit to the site and the fact that a number of Macdonald's pet holes showed up would tend point to M&W doing more than just advising on the site. Macdonald also advised Wilson before he went abroad. It sounds like the picture you will ultimately paint is Macdonald giving limited and bad advice.

wsmorrison

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2005, 07:17:46 AM »
What pet holes are these?  The Valley of Sin at 17?  A bit of a stretch.  The Redan?  If the current 3rd was ever a Redan, and I do not believe it ever was, it sure isn't one now.

Tom,

I know they made more than one visit.  That seems reasonable given that Philadelphia was becoming a hub of golf course activity and both Merion and Pine Valley were attracting interested parties from all over.  I'm sure Macdonald and Whigham did not visit and silently looked over the work in progress.  But it would be speculation as to what that advise was beyond helping the committtee decide upon the land and what courses Wilson should go see.  Unlike Macdonald, Wilson did not adhere so closely to many overseas designs.  Macdonald did some marvelous original work but his method of operation seems markedly different.

I am not bad mouthing Macdonald in any way.  In our book we try to present information objectively.  I did not mention the lack of vision which resulted in 4 holes crossing Ardmore Avenue.  I did mention that Macdonald and Whigham advised Wilson before is UK tour (and this was very valuable) and visited the site and helped the committee determine to purchase it (also valuable and fortunate).  I did not suggest anything further.  What do you think should be added?

You've seen the picture I've already painted (minus the recent club minutes finding of 1910 advise) since I sent you a recent though not quite current manuscript.  Why would you speculate that I would ultimately paint something different?

T_MacWood

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2005, 07:29:27 AM »
As well as the Alps and Principal's Nose.

Based upon your comments above where you emphasised the awkwardness of the site they approved.

wsmorrison

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2005, 07:39:48 AM »
Where is the principal's nose and the alps?  Please forgive my ignorance. For the principal's nose, do you mean the bunker complex that existed for a time in the fairway on the 5th (in 1916), now the 4th 200 yards short of the green was the principal's nose?  The alps?  I have no guess as to what that might be.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:46:20 AM by Wayne Morrison »

T_MacWood

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2005, 08:20:00 AM »
Yes, the 4th and the old 10th.

wsmorrison

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2005, 08:33:58 AM »
The old 10th was flat from landing area to green.  There was a large mound behind the green likely to protect the 1st fairway.  In what way was this an Alps hole?  The sandy waste with islands of turf fronting the green?

T_MacWood

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2005, 08:47:56 AM »
There was also a large bunker fronting the green in addition to the mound behind....creating the Alps-like effect, ie Alps.

"The tenth hole has its tee far back in the woods and its green has for background a high hill covered with grass and resembles the Apls hole at Prestwick; in principle, that is a two-shot hole with a cross bunker guarding the green. A long drive and a good second are required. the second must carry Ardmore Avenue and a number of deep bunkers." ~~Golf Illustrated 12/1914

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2005, 09:05:20 AM »
There was also a large bunker fronting the green in addition to the mound behind....creating the Alps-like effect, ie Alps.

"The tenth hole has its tee far back in the woods and its green has for background a high hill covered with grass and resembles the Apls hole at Prestwick; in principle, that is a two-shot hole with a cross bunker guarding the green. A long drive and a good second are required. the second must carry Ardmore Avenue and a number of deep bunkers." ~~Golf Illustrated 12/1914

Tom-

By definition, would an Alps hole not require a mounded feature, an 'Alps', obscuring a view of the green from the fairway?  (e.g., NGLA #3). What I mean to ask is, it seems flawed logic was used in the Golf Illustrated quote when it was written--do all two-shot holes with a cross bunker guarding the green intimate Alps holes?  

I'm not so sure the quote is entirely appropriate for the situation, that being it may not be factually correct.  If it is true that an Alps hole requires high mounded features or hills to cross on the approach, then it is not appropriate for the situation.  If there were in fact hills there, or if the hole met the definition for Alps, well, I like my crow medium-well  ;)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

wsmorrison

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2005, 09:18:51 AM »
Doug is right.  Golf Illustrated could call it what it wants in 1914.  It was not an Alps because Robert Lesley called it one.  Same with his analysis for the current third as a Redan.  Tom for you to say that these are Redan and Alps concepts and thereby deduce that it gives credibility to the influence of Macdonald and Whigham is not valid.  I happen to think Lesley was a wonderful contributor to the game (Lesley Cup) but he didn't know his ass from a hole in he wall when it came to golf architecture analysis.  I would think you'd understand you can't readily believe everything you read.  In this case, Lesley was WRONG and so are your conclusions.  Macdonald and Whigham povided some help.  It is not clear at all if there was any influence on the actual design of holes at Merion.  Certainly an open mind would grasp this.  Maybe we'll someday find evidence that supports your belief.  But it isn't available today.

T_MacWood

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2005, 09:22:44 AM »

By definition, would an Alps hole not require a mounded feature, an 'Alps', obscuring a view of the green from the fairway?  (e.g., NGLA #3).

Doug
Yes. From the one photo I've seen of the hole, it appears it did.

wsmorrison

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2005, 09:24:47 AM »
It did not.

Here is the entire passage as relates to the former iteration of the 10th hole:

"The tenth hole has its tee far back in the woods and its gren has for background a high hill covered with grass, and resembles the Alps hole at Prestwick; in principle, that is a twosho hole with a cross bunker guarding the green.  A long drive and a good second are required (the hole was 385 yards in length). The second must carry Ardmore Avenue and a number of deep bunkers.  If the ball overruns the green it finds lodgment up on the slope of the mountain (very man-made in appearance) which is at the rear.  

There was nothing at all to obscure the view from landing area to green.  Except if you want to include the rare car or horse and cart passing by  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:25:20 AM by Wayne Morrison »

TEPaul

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2005, 09:25:11 AM »
There was a hazard feature fronting the old 10th green at Merion--you can see the vestiges of it in an old aerial. I don't know that there is an on-ground photo of it. Perhaps it was referred to as an "alps" (Golf Illustrated, 1914), and perhaps some of the other features at Merion were referred to by some observers as a "redan", a "princple's nose" or the "Valley of Sin" (apparently added to the 17th shortly after initial construction).

But so what? What's the point here? I certainly hope no one is attempting to say this means that Macdonald had a hand in designing Merion East simply because these "named" features from Europe were on Merion East. After-all, all those features were from the rather famous holes in Europe. Hugh Wilson spent at least six months in Europe in 1910 on his own studying the golf courses, architecture and architectural features of Great Britain. It has been said many times he brought back with him from that extended trip many sketches and drawings he did in Europe. Unfortunately the whereabouts of those sketches and drawings is now unknown.

What does any of that have to do with C.B. Macdonald or Whigam or any influence he or they may've had architecturally at Merion East?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 09:28:50 AM by TEPaul »

mike_malone

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2005, 09:25:39 AM »
 I went to the Prestwick website. It looks like the "Alps" hole has a deep fronting bunker with hills behind. The angle of the photo shows no hill obscuring the view of the green. Possibly those who have been there can add something beyond my feeble photo analysis. You have been there haven't you Wayne?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back