News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

An Essential Guide to Golf
« on: November 18, 2003, 01:48:49 AM »
Dear Brethren,

I find myself required to suggest a source that will introduce and reveal to the initiate the essence of the tie between the game of golf, the field of play, the players , and particularly those who serve them and the game professionally. I have hired two sales reps for a new golf related business in the carolina's  who need an advertising background enhanced by the ability to approach golf course operators with an understanding of what drives players to play.

So what source do any of you think of if someone you were to begin to introduce to the concept of this site would ask what they could read to give them a foundation or a kickstart frame of reference for better understanding? A player's biography like Down the Fairway? Doaks Anatomy of a golf course or Confidential Guide. A classic book of instruction? Herbert Wind Warren or B. Darwin. Bob Hunter? or more along the lines of "What Lee said to Jack"?

I would appreciate your thoughts as I feel obligated to provide my associates with the "training" that will make their calls at courses in the area a positive experience for all. In the process I presume these suggestions are portable enough for use by anyone ready to dive into the subject.

Best
Ward Peyronnin

PS: I love Maidstone too.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Andy Levett

Re:An Essential Guide to Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 05:33:23 AM »
I've just finished Brad Klein's Rough Meditations which has a bit of everything - I think you could give it to a non-golfer to read and they would 'get' what makes us so obsessed with the game.
An older pick n'mix approach I really like is The Complete Golfer, compiled by Herb Warren Wind, though I would skip the instruction section because that way madness lies.

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 12:56:17 PM »
Usually this crowd has much to say on book recommendations, I think this thread got overlooked so I'm making some suggestions & bumping it up.

Rough Meditations is indeed a very good broad based book covering a little of everything & showing the passions the game can inspire.

The Art of Golf Design - Shackelford & Miller - is also inspiriing in a different way. Fantastic art coupled with wonderful essays.

Bury Me in a Pot Bunker - Pete Dye - was a fun intro into the life of an architect, as well as an easy and quick read.

Final Rounds and The Dewsweepers - James Dodson - were good books for exploring the sole of the game. A Season in Dornoch - Lorne Rubenstein - was as well.

The Greatest Golf Stories Ever Told - Jeff Silverman - is IMO the best of the compilation type books.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER SHOULD YOU GIVE THEM Golf in the Kingdom OR ANY OF ITS VARIOUS RIPOFFS, UNLESS YOU ARE PURPOSELY LOOKING TO TORTURE THEM WITH TEDIOUS BOREDOM & SCARE THEM INTO THINKING ALL GOLFERS ARE HELPLESSLY ECCENTRIC.  ALSO, DO NOT LET THEM SEE Bagger Vance, EITHER.

There, that ought to draw some folks out.... :)

Push comes to shove, I'd probably recommend Lorne's Dornoch book first.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

kwl

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 01:10:16 PM »
One vote for HW Wind-The Story of American Golf: 1888--1941. Callaway Publishing.

Brad Klein has extolled Mr. Winds virtues previously...i find the book a pleasant read, intersting, and inspiring.

You could also "force" them to watch golf when Renton Laidlaw and Warren Humphreys(sp?) are working, Peter Alliss as well...always interesting, insightful, and a cadence to sooth. If they refuse, i will take the job.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 01:30:15 PM by kwl »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 01:12:39 PM »
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER SHOULD YOU GIVE THEM Golf in the Kingdom OR ANY OF ITS VARIOUS RIPOFFS, UNLESS YOU ARE PURPOSELY LOOKING TO TORTURE THEM WITH TEDIOUS BOREDOM & SCARE THEM INTO THINKING ALL GOLFERS ARE HELPLESSLY ECCENTRIC.  ALSO, DO NOT LET THEM SEE Bagger Vance, EITHER.

I'll second that.

ChasLawler

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 01:32:06 PM »
I personally enjoyed The Legend of Bagger of Vance, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to the game.

I will third the opinion on Golf In the Kingdom.

The Dewsweepers IMHO, is an absolute snorefest, and I wouldn't recommend that book to anyone.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 01:44:28 PM by R_Junah »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 01:39:22 PM »
Robert Hunter's The Links
The World Golf Atlas
Geoff Shackleford's The Golden Era of Design
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 01:39:22 PM »
Have them read "The Legend of Bagger Vance" but please dear God do not let them see the movie until they are beyond all hope.  

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 01:52:20 PM »
Second :
The Complete Golfer
World Atlas of Golf
Bury me in a pot Bunker

I know its passe to like popular books , but I found all the John Fienstien books a good read.

And if you ever send them to Scotland make sure they have James Finegans Blasted Heaths and Blessed Greens.

mrmiyagi

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 02:09:50 PM »
Dead Solid Perfect, by Dan Jenkins

old school look at the pro game, good lingo, reminder that golf is fun

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 03:04:10 PM »
Fuggdeabout books.  Based on posts elsewhere on this site, I'd just buy them a casette of Tom Jones singing "The green, green grass of home."

If you want to deal with a more intellectually upscale clientele, "Golf in the Kingdom" is the ticket.  Disregard anything Bob Huntley says on this matter as we all know that he is Shivas Irons' long lost brother.........

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 11:37:01 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses. I was surprised no one picked up on Mr. Doak's book but maybe that is too technical. I really liked Dead Solid Perfect and if you are going in to pitch a pro or other total immersion victim it is probably reflective of the attitudes being around golf all the time develops. I also like The art of golf suggestion cause the right kind of pictures do wonders for to overcome unfamiliarity.

I have forwarded the list to my boys and will retain for when I am able to find additional associates ( am still in the process of looking)

Best
Ward ;)

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

JohnV

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 08:10:35 AM »
I would recommend Bobby Jones' "Golf is My Game".  But have them start with the last chapter on St. Andrews to see what beauty the game can bring.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 09:49:29 AM »
Still waiting on a response from Mr. Schmidt on this.... :)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 09:50:43 AM »
Ward- I have to question the use of the unsophisticated? I know If I believe in a product. I can sell it to anybody. But, without any obvious passion, the listener is sure to smell the B.S..

I was posting a score yesterday while right behind me a gentleman was pitching the head-pro to buy radio time. It had to be one of the worst pitches I ever heard and he wanted to give it away. Still, his lack of passion was clearly obvious, and if I were buying, I wouldn't.

That being said, I think the best book for your boys's needs is Rick Reilly's "Missing Links". The short, fun read, in the end, details why the golfing public, golf the public venues.

Juan Del Pasoan

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 02:40:13 AM »
Best pure golf book so far - Mark Frost's The Greatest Game Ever Played.
Great book about Golf architecture and strategies is Geoff Shackelford's "Grounds for Golf".
Good book about triumph and tragedy is "Hogan" but I don't remember the author, loaned it out and haven't seen it in a long time.
If you want to lay a good guilt trip on them then John Kennedy's " A Course of Their Own" about black profesionals trying to break through.

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 09:37:54 PM »
Dear Brethren,

I find myself required to suggest a source that will introduce and reveal to the initiate the essence of the tie between the game of golf, the field of play, the players , and particularly those who serve them and the game professionally.
Best
Ward Peyronnin

Many good books aforementioned.  I'd have to add or concur with...

The Way of Golf by Robert Brown
 Rough Meditations  Bradley Kleinenheimersteinberger
 Masters of the Links     by Shackelfordnchevy
 The World of Golf   by Petey Dobereiner
      and a real charmer for introduction of golf to a philistine...
 Where the Grass is Always Greener - Insight and Inspiration from the Fairway  by Terry Glaspey and Paintings by Donny Finley
 Also, for mental and mystical performance, I think that
 Extraordinary Golf is a more practical lesson than Golf in the Kingdom.
 The Best of Wodehouse is fun reading.  Mortimer Sturgis lives!!!  

What are you selling anyway?  (Not that I have any money)

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back