News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Kintyre Pilgrimage
« on: August 07, 2003, 06:53:40 AM »
Just thought I'd take a few moments to review and reflect with some of my like-minded(?) GCA compatriots on a truly amazing weekend .
02/08/03 (European date style)
Dunaverty Golf Club
After a four-hour drive through some of Scotland's most stunning scenery (Mountains, Lochs, Deserted Beaches...) we arrive at Southend - about as far as you can go without jumping over to Ireland - and marvel at the remoteness and tranquility of the place.
The clubhouse has an informal, easy atmosphere - there's no Bar but the members appear to have their own mugs for Tea!! We have a spot of plain, but nice, lunch, pay our £18 and don the spikes for the impending thrashing of the turf.
Four hours of long par threes, short par fours, blind tee shots, crossing fairways, uneven lies, blind approaches, forced carries, bunkerless (nearly - there's ONE in a very deep chasm) golf and geometrically perfect square-shaped greens later we have had just about the most fun it is possible to have on a golf course without removing our clothes! Bloody marvellous - we couldn't wipe the smiles from our faces for ages!
Minor quibbles - Three opening and two closing holes of moderate blandness and NO BEER afterwards!!!
03/08/03
The Machrihanish Golf Club
Where to begin?
First impressions - the helicopters bringing the rich American Loch Lomond members over for the day. Now that's what I call style!
The view from the clubhouse - simply stunning.
Again a spot of Lunch then on to the first tee.
Yes, I managed to hit the Beach! (In good company there though - the club steward later told us that Greg Norman hadn't made the fairway last year).
Mega-highlights?
The Greens - EVERY one of them - running true, borrows, slopes, hardly any pinnable area. An extra game within the game.
The Fourth hole - a Par three placed amongst such an enormous dune field that you feel about a million miles away from the World...
The green complexes - esp. #3, #6, #10, #12 - works of genius to rival Leonardo, or maybe even Bill Gates - nah, now that would be impossible...
There's literally so much to commend about the place that it's really difficult to criticise. Maybe a couple of bland-ish finishing holes takes some of the shine off, but the rest is SO outstanding that I've forgotten them already.
The course simply rockets into my top ten, maybe top five even. Drop everything, do whatever you have to do, get over here and play it before you die. (Actually, no, you needn't worry, if there is a heaven, there's probably an NGLU(Universe) there which is an exact replica of 'The Big Mach'.....

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Darren_Kilfara

Re:Kintyre Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 08:01:52 AM »
FBD - glad you had fun, especially at Dunaverty (which is a magnificent little course that few people know about). There's not much else to add to your recitation, except to suggest that Huckaby is kicking himself even more now than he was a few minutes ago... :)

Cheers,
Darren

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 08:08:10 AM »
Darren
I had actually added a PS to my first post calling you 'one lucky B&*£$%d' but removed it in case I offended!!!

But
PS YOU ARE!!!!!

FBD. ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 09:29:11 AM »
Darren:

This is kids' stuff compared to what my two buddies who DID go to Machrihanish subjected me to on the trip. I didn't think the club sold that much logo merchandise... Every day brought out a new garment for these stalwarts.  Every course was said to be "ok, but no Machrihanish".  Through their efforts, I have become immune to praises of it, and in fact hate the place so much now that it's going to be a matter of pride that I DON'T ever go there.

Or at least that's what I tell myself to make myself feel better.

There was literally no way I could have made it happen.  And the good news is, I am saving all this rhetoric as ammo for next year's argument with my wife as to why I NEED to go back to Scotland so soon.   ;)

TH

ChipOat

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 09:35:38 AM »
Tom Huckaby:

If The Warden likes awesome scenery, take her along.  Either way, let me know as you begin arrangements and I'll give you the scoop on where to stay.

Now if you REALLY want to do the trip right, go to Islay as well and play The Machrie.

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 09:38:44 AM »
Chip:

MY missus tends to like creature comforts more than beautiful scenery.  Bu that I mean, I could imagine a universe where she'd accompany me to Turnberry, but the idea of her going anywhere in Scotland other than that - or maybe some of the finer places in Edinburgh - is as real as me shooting 62 at Carnoustie from the tips.  But it is an interesting thought...

No, what I'm hoping for is this GCA Ryder Cup mentioned on other threads to be placed at Machrihanish, in which case hell yes I'll take an extra day or two and get to Machrie.  I don't travel 5000 miles to just play one golf course, or at least I haven't to date.

TH

ChipOat

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 09:50:43 AM »
What time do you start posting every morning, Left Coast person?

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 09:54:07 AM »
Chip:

I have a very strange life that has me into work at 5:45am each day... my normal routine is to answer messages first, then check GCA, then get into my work day....

It is an odd life, for sure.   ;)

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 10:48:01 AM »
My heart swells and the memories of a special time and place flash when i see someone else discuss the greatness which is the Kintyre Peninsula and Machrihanish. There are a select number of truely special places, TOC, Dornoch, Cruden Bay, Cypress Point, Pebble and Augusta Nat to name some of them. I hope all of you make the drive there one day. Then take the time to go over to Dunaverty and Machrie. I hope the nw coast of ireland touches me the same way when the day comes to travel there. I think one cheapens the experience to fly in play and then fly out. Thank you for reminding me that another summer is here and others are standing for the first time on Mull, or almost anywhere on the course at Machrihansih smelling the air and thank god for spending this day on earth in such a special place.

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 10:52:11 AM »
"I think one cheapens the experience to fly in play and then fly out."

True, but wouldn't that be better than not going at all for another 10 years, as would be my reality?  I'm thinking my only chance to do this is if we set the GCA Ryder Cup there, and unfortunately it would have to be a basic fly-in, fly out, 4-5 days max, although I'd sure want to get to Machrie and also sample some Springbank if possible....

In any case well said re special places.  I just got back from some... funny how thoughts so quickly turn to going again!

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 10:52:50 AM »
Oh Tom there are places which possess creature comforts at the highest level all over Scotland. One of which is within 20 minutes of Machrihanish. Another is 10 minutes from Dornoch. Read the little book by the writer from Philly.

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 11:02:44 AM »
I've read that book, Tiger.  Loved it.

I just know my wife.

Let's just say each of Machrihanish and Dornoch are somewhat "difficult" to get to from the US west coast.  She's gonna want more than a cute small town dominated by golf if he's gonna go to that kind of trouble.  Her version of creature comforts also feature the word SPA.  Now I'm sure such things can be found near Machrihanish and Dornoch, but let's also just say that she also isn't stupid and knows what else is near those towns, and where my mind and body will be.

I just can't see that being a good trip for either of us.  So many great places for us BOTH to enjoy here in the US, the Caribbean, Mexico....

Bottom line is also that if she's gonna fly 10+ hours, she's gonna want FRANCE or ITALY.  Food/wine/etc. are her bag... again not exactly the things Scotland is known for.

So it's an interesting thought, but I know my marital situation.  Even the suggestion of such would be matrimonial suicide.

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 11:09:18 AM »
One cannot argue with that Tom. I will note that skibo has all the luxury that one can find in france or italy. I would not tell her though. Scotland is for golfers.

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 11:11:36 AM »
You have cut to the chase with perfect clarity, JB.  "Scotland is for golfers".  Oh yeah, she'd dig Skibo... although it would bankrupt us... But in any case, the point is if we went there, my heart would only slightly be up the road.... and hers wouldn't... thus the issue.

TH

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 11:15:09 AM »
So it's an interesting thought, but I know my marital situation.  Even the suggestion of such would be matrimonial suicide.

Young Tom,

You must grease the skids.  My first trip to Scotland in October will be preceeded by a long weekend in Sonoma in early September.   Buck up, man!

"Are we not men?" - DEVO

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Leveille

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2003, 11:30:18 AM »
At the risk of marital bliss, last week I explained to my wife how I needed to make a trip to Scotland this September, the main purpose of which is to spend a few days getting to know Machrihanish.  I expected a fight or at least a look of bewilderment, but instead I got her seemingly happy approval.  She either knows how sick my golf addiction has become, or she is fooling around on me and is happy to get me out of town for a week.  Either way, I'm spending three days at Machrihanish starting on September 21 - just waiting for Ken Campbell to confirm my tee times - perhaps he is busy trying to teach the locals how those new golf carts work.  If anyone is going to be in the area and would like a game, please contact me.

Anyways, thanks to FBD and the other posters on this thread for further whetting my appetite for my pending trip to Machrihanish.

THuckaby2

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2003, 11:33:28 AM »
Mike H:

Remember who you are talking to.  How the hell do you think I just managed 10 days away and $6000 spent without greasing the skids?  Puh-leeze, I know I am a tremendous slouch but you still sell me quite short.   ;)

Mike L.:  you remain my idol and hero in every way.  Well done.   ;D

TH
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 11:36:43 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2003, 11:48:01 AM »
Hey, don't knock the flight from Glasgow to Machrihanish - which is one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had. Only takes 25 minutes or so, and almost always flies beneath the cloud cover to give you wonderful aerial views of Arran, other western islands, Kintyre and (if you're really lucky) perhaps even Machrihanish itself. And my house, FWIW - it was kinda neat, being able to clearly identify the place where I live from the air...

Tom, one's marriage is of infinitely greater importance than one's golf experiences. Don't forget that, whatever you do.  ;)

Cheers,
Darren

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2003, 11:50:08 AM »
$6,000 ::)

Next time rent the Citroen instead of the chauffeured motor coach.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

THuckaby2

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2003, 12:10:05 PM »
Mike:

The chauffered motor coach was the best money we ever spent.  Picture 12 great friends in the lap of luxury in what became a rolling cocktail party.... It was so great we wished the drives were longer!

In any case, it didn't cost much more then renting cars ourselves, believe it or not... Well, well worth it.

What drove up the cost was the COURSES.  Those big names have figured out what they can charge, as you are finding out...  :'(

Darren - sage counsel, and that dominates every plan I make.

TH
« Last Edit: August 07, 2003, 12:10:48 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2003, 12:19:01 PM »
Tom, that is a great subject. I found play significantly down for the 2nd year in a row. However the prices keep going up and up. I think most have more than doubled in 5 years. I do hope they let prices go down before they make it hard for regular people to experience the game in the land of the Scots. I just had two friends make their first journey to Pebble and loved it beyond words, no matter the cost. So who knows.

THuckaby2

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2003, 12:21:09 PM »
Tiger:

Oh heck yeah - as my recent trip shows, for those who have the spirit and desire to go to Scotland, then price is never going to matter....

I just shudder to think how tough it would have been for me if prices were like this in 1987 (my first extended golf trip there)... no way I could have done it.

And that's how it is for younger people / those with less means today... Scotland, like Pebble, is pricing itself out of the range of those who most SHOULD see it.

And that is kinda sad.

TH

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 12:31:58 PM »
...Dunaverty - £18
...Machrihanish - £30

...My home course - £30 normally, £7 as a members guest.....I can sign on up to three guests each and every round.

Maybe what we need to do is, set up somewhere on GCA, a 'Golf Exchange Programme'. Hasn't someone ever done this?? I'm thinking of a page where we can swap games with each other when we're 'in the neighbourhood'? (We're in Florida most Decembers... ;)) Cheap golf with fellow souls wherever we can arrange it.

FBD.

THuckaby2

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 01:01:50 PM »
FBD:

Thankfully, Machrihanish has yet to figure out what visitors will gladly pay.  It seems to be blissfully stuck in how all other Scotland courses were prior to say 1990, which is understandable given its remote location.  But just as Dornoch figured it out, I fear Mac. will also... I hope I'm wrong....

But really, they could raise that to 100 pounds right now and it wouldn't decrease the number of visitors one iota.  Those that make the trek could care less how much it costs.

Sad, but true.

TH

Darren_Kilfara

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 02:16:28 PM »
Thankfully, Machrihanish has yet to figure out what visitors will gladly pay.  It seems to be blissfully stuck in how all other Scotland courses were prior to say 1990, which is understandable given its remote location.  But just as Dornoch figured it out, I fear Mac. will also... I hope I'm wrong....

But really, they could raise that to 100 pounds right now and it wouldn't decrease the number of visitors one iota.  Those that make the trek could care less how much it costs.

Untrue, Tom. How many visitors go to Machrihanish to study the architecture, relative to the number of visitors who go there for the back-of-beyond charm? When back-of-beyond charm starts pricing itself through the roof, it becomes automatically rather less charming, doesn't it? I think there might be some wiggle room for prices to go up, but not too much...

Cheers,
Darren

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back