News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Aerial Software with Acreage Calculation
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:36:56 AM »
Does anyone know of a free online aerial software product that can easily calculate area (acreage) of the viewed image?

I know Google Earth Pro has this but it's expensive.  The free version only seems to do distance.

Thanks
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Ray Richard

Re:Aerial Software with Acreage Calculation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
Paul-On the free version of Google Earth-Measure length x width in feet and divide by 43560 equals acres

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Ray

I'm a bit lazy...I was hoping there's a way of outlining a golf course with a polygon and the software calculates for me?

Trey Kemp

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:38 AM »
Paul-

Here you go.  It works pretty well.

http://www.acme.com/planimeter/
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
Trey

Thanks! It does work pretty well.

Ray Richard

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
Trey-Thanks for that link-I am using it now on a bid!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:31:40 PM »
I did a quick validation - it is pretty close - but I gave up after it bogged down around the 21st point.

Paul - what are you working on?

Ray - what did you use before google planimeter?
I'm struggling with how it could be useful - not the fact that is measures, but that it would be more useful than any other tool.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the link Trey.  I used it with some properties I have examined closely in NE and WI.  It is spot on.  Mike, I found that as long as you don't cross the last line made going back to the starting point, it works well.  Of course, I didn't try 21 points of meets and bounds!  ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »
Paul - what are you working on?

Cheers

Mike,

Nothing in particular, I just wanted to map a few favourite courses to estimate the acreage.  I tested it on courses that are famous for a small acreage and it seems pretty good.

It appears to work best without a huge number of points. But the green shaded area seems to be offset.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
Planimeter's a neat tool, isn't it. I've used it numerous times for "research", but you're right, it does bog down after a couple of dozen points. Still, pretty useful stuff.

JJ

Brian Phillips

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:39 AM »
Paul,

Let me know which ones and I will do it on Google earth Pro as I have it..

Cheers,

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ray Richard

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »
Mike-I use Google Earth extensively in the bid process. I like the "low tech" simplicity for my purpose. If we need to, we can heat up AutoCad and other support programs but for a quick number and view it is used often.
The “measure” function allows me to bring up a golf feature and calculate some early work limits, and square footages. I do a preliminary assessment of work during the initial customer meeting but all the measuring is done with Google Earth, supplemented with a few digital photos. I also use it to calculate wire runs for irrigation work and trucking routes.
 Prior to submittal, we get all the in-house staff together and we walk through written site comments, digital photos, spreadsheet data,and we keep Google Earth on for reference. Sometimes owner reps don’t tell you everything about a site during an estimate.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
Thanks, Ray..

This is very cool

I just did Cobb's Creek  (yes, I know, I'm sounding like a one-note wonder).

Today's golf course is on 95.7 acres.   When the military annexed part of the property in the 40s, they took 22. 2 acres, which means the course occupied roughly 118 acres (it was actually slightly less than that because the course didn't extend to the creek on the 13th where the driving range is today, so let's say 115 and lets take 3 acres away from the annexed land.

In any case, that means that about 16.7% of the course was snatched up.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:19:21 AM by MPCirba »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:53:35 AM »
Paul-

Here you go.  It works pretty well.

http://www.acme.com/planimeter/
I'll add my thanks for sharing this.  Simple and works well.

David Druzisky

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Nice.

Does anyone out there still use a manual planimeter besides me?  I had a landscape architect/planner in my office a while back and we were looking at a plan on the table and an issue of area came up.  I whipped out my old planimeter and quickly came up with the area.  He looked at it, and me for that matter in amazement and asked what is that?  And I am only 41!

What happens if all the computers go away? ???

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
Country Club of The Poconos at Big Ridge spans a mere 533 acres.  

There are 12 miles of cart paths from the first tee to the 18th green.

One might reasonably assume that in all of that acreage architect Jim Fazio might have found a decent golf hole.

One would be wrong.

Top that, oh mighty men of the planimeters!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:58:07 PM by MPCirba »

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
Mike

12 miles of cart paths huh.  What is the acreage of the cart paths at Big Ridge then?

;D

James B

ps  interesting about the Cobbs Creek acreage.  I recall LuLu is just below 100 acres.  I tried to do Merion East last night, but the curves from 15, 14 and 1 were too hard to plot.  Yes, I know it is meant to be 130 acres, but I wanted to understand each side of the course, and how much the clubhouse/carpark/practice area/maintenance facility takes up.  Another time.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:57 PM »
The biggest routings I can find in England are Notts and Broadstone at about 200-210 acres.  Both great, expansive, walks.

The mighty Sand Hills is about 220-230 acres depending on how you measure.

On the opposite spectrum.  A fave course of mine, Harborne, is only about 90 acres.

Brian

Thanks very much for the offer, but I think no need, this works great (although it does appear to slow/crash my computer if I leave the window open for long!).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:04:10 PM by Paul_Turner »

Trey Kemp

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
David, we still use planimeters every once in a while, but most of it we do on CAD.  
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 09:14:18 AM »
I goofed this up yesterday...

Corrected, here is a more accurate measurement for Cobb's Creek;

Today's golf course is on 123.7 acres.  When the military annexed part of the property in the 40s, they took roughly 18.5 acres, which means the course occupied roughly 142.5 acres.

In any case, that means that about 13% of the course was annexed for military purposes.  

Country Club  of The Poconos is still about 550 acres...which is staggering.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:18:11 AM by MPCirba »

George_Bahto

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 09:59:55 AM »
David: manual planimeter

I have one and have used it occasionally - very cool tool

George Bahto
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Jim Johnson

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
And if one wants to measure cart paths, etc...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

JJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back