News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Superintendent of the Year for 2007 is....
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
http://turfnet.com/view_news.php?obj_id=91

The eight finalists for the 2007 TurfNet Superintendent of the Year Award have been announced! The award, sponsored by Club Car, is presented annually to a superintendent nominated by his or her peers, employer, club members or others who recognized an exemplary ability or effort to provide outstanding golfing conditions with whatever means available and in the face of whatever calamities or conditions encountered.

The finalists for 2007 Superintendent of the Year are:

Mark Gorga, Briarwood Country Club
Ralph Kepple, East Lake Golf Club
Fred Klauk, CGCS, TPC Sawgrass
Don Mahaffey, Wolf Point Club
Neil Mayberry, New Orleans Country Club
Anthony Williams, CGCS, Stone Mountain Golf Club
Brian Zimmerman, Milwaukee County Parks
John Zimmers, Oakmont Country Club

I've gotten to know one of the esteemed group a little better than the rest.  Congratulations Don.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:47:49 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Superintendent of the Year for 2008 is....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »
I love Don but I gotta pull for the guy from East Lake since he killed his greens before the award instead of the traditional year after.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »
.... The award...is presented annually to a superintendent ...who recognized an exemplary ability or effort to provide outstanding golfing conditions with whatever means available and in the face of whatever calamities or conditions encountered.

Congratulations on the nomination Don, but I'm with Jaka B on this one. Unfortunately you're like all the women nominated for Best Actress in a year when Meryl Streep is a nominee.  Mr. East Lake is Meryl Streep I'm afraid.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
Nice interview, Fellas.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
I take it this is only for Superintendent's from the states.

Mike Nuzzo

Re:Superintendent of the Year for 2007 is....
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22:10 PM »
Matt --
I guess you're right - I don't recall reading any rules...
Maybe Canada?

Doug--
If you're saying Don is probably just like:

Julie Andrews
Jessica Lange
Sissy Spacek
Debra Winger
Candice Bergen
& Mariel Hemingway

I think Don could accept that...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
Thats all great, but lets also send some props out to Pat Brockwell too!  And dave from Bethpage. :D

But great job everybody.  Thanks for making our rounds that much more enjoyable, instructive and adventurous.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
This award is obviously not sponsored by Corona or it would be no contest.  Well don elads.  Its good to see the common sense crowd get some props.
Jim Thompson

Dick Kirkpatrick

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »

Congrats to Don! Good luck to you.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »
His steadfast determination has shaved $2 million-$3 million from the project's original $6.5 million anticipated price tag ...

"He's been real, I guess the word is cheap, good about saving money where needed," ...

Congrats Don!  These accolades leads me to believe you'd be a damn good manager of just about anything.  ;D 8)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Emmy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »
Don:
Congratulations on making the short list. May good news continue to surround you this coming week.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
Just offhand, it looks like 2 of the course are public and the rest private.  Is it fair to place a public course against the likes of Oakmont or any private course?

Also, who is the nominating committee and I'll assume its the same people who pick the finalist?

Thanks

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »
'Nuzzo, who had known Mahaffey since the two met five years ago during a function at Barona Creek Golf Club near San Diego'

Don/Mike,
does this mean we have GCA to thank for this somewhat serendipitous encounter???

Enquiring minds... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »

Martin,

Yes, that would have been Kings Putter I, held in San Diego. Good fun for all.

Mark Studer

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 11:13:03 AM »
The votes are in and a big Congratulations to John Zimmers!!!  I have had the pleasure  to work first hand with John since we hired him in 1999.  A True Professional.  Well done.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »
A worthy champion.  Good for him and good for people fortunate to play under his stead.

Brad Klein

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 04:30:29 PM »
Joel,

all nominations are made by folks in the golf industry -- members, owners, peers, assistants. The selection of the eight finalists among the nominees and of the ultimate winner (John Zimmers) is up to an editorial committee from within the TurfNet staff.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »
Here is a nice article about John and the SOY.

http://www.turfnet.com/view_news.php?obj_id=94

The luncheon was very nice.
The guys that Don and I mingled with were very good - John included.

Nice comments Mark - I hope you throw him a big party.
Don will be having one.

Cheers

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
I'm happy for John Zimmers. From my experience observing him at Sand Ridge, I can't imagine a more dedicated person.
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »
Don, congratulations on being one of the top 8 in an industry of over-achievers.  You guys do an incredible job under sometimes poor circumstances and often led by a green committee of nincompoops!  ::)  I truly admire the work of our supers, too often it goes unnoticed, so it's nice to see this award given annually.

Regards,
Bill

JohnH

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 06:50:20 PM »
Definately well deserved.  It's a shame only one gets it, as there are hundreds who provide great services to the industry.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 12:58:51 AM »
Don,

To bad you didn't get the first place prize.  I here your finishing position gets a large stainless steel table looking thing.  I'm sure you can find a use for it!

Cheers!

JT

I hope whatever you were drinking just shot out your nose.  You too Nuzzo! ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:00:10 AM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Don_Mahaffey

Re: Superintendent of the Year for 2007 is....
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. I was surprised to receive so many notes and calls from people who I’ve worked with in the past. We supers don’t get a whole lot of public recognition and my 15 minutes was a lot of fun. And as much as it meant to me, I think it meant more to my family and those I’ve worked for, and with, in the past.

Turfnet did a nice job with the SOY marketing, luncheon and presentation and it was fun to be a part of. All the finalists were very good guys and no doubt John Zimmers is very deserving of the award. It was great to have a seat at the table as that was some fast company.

I hope Turfnet continues to promote the SOY program. When the people you work closest with take the time to send in a letter saying they think your deserving of an award like this, you’ve won no matter how it turns out. Congrats to every super (around 100) nominated this year.

JohnH, your right, there are a lot of deserving supers out there and I hope they all have the opportunity to experience what I just did at some point in their career.  

Jim, you need a shipping address? ;)

Matthew Hunt

Re: Superintendent of the Year for 2007 is....
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
Don, may I ask  how maintanince practices very from the norm due to the low number of rounds.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back