News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Breakthroughs of 2007
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »
I have seen few, if any. What have you noticed in golf design that you would consider a breakthrough design? :-[
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

Re:Breakthroughs of 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »
Forrest:

What do you define as a breakthrough?

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »
Would Chambers qualify as a very different design for the RT Jones II group?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »
Yes, Chambers is a great triumph for RTJ. I think it does qualify as a breakthrough for public access, non-resort golf.

Tom D. — Something really new. Not seen recently, or ever.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:32:05 PM »

Tom D. — Something really new. Not seen recently, or ever.

Sebonack?

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:59:57 PM »
Doaks's "uni-tees"....Ballyneal.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:53:00 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »
I haven't been there to see it, but I love the idea of no fixed tees at Ballyneal, and the winner of the previous hole says, "Tee it up here!"

That's the most unusual and interesting thing I've heard of in years.  It certainly wouldn't work at your typical CCFAD.  :o

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
Not much, uh? Is that disappointing to anyone here? Should golf architecture produce more interesting, out-of-the-box thinking? It seems we spend an awful lot of time reintroducing past ideas, considering previous design approaches and, ultimately, reinventing the past in very subtle ways.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »
Not much, uh? Is that disappointing to anyone here? Should golf architecture produce more interesting, out-of-the-box thinking? It seems we spend an awful lot of time reintroducing past ideas, considering previous design approaches and, ultimately, reinventing the past in very subtle ways.

This isn't the best year to ask the question.  In this economy, I'm not sure any architect is going to take a chance on any project.

For 2007, Chambers Bay seems like its head and shoulders above anything else out there for a public golf course.  Even though its RTJ2, it helps the cause of anti Fazio over manicured golf courses, is unique and fun to play.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »
On the other hand, taking a chance should not be linked to an economy. Often it is the best ideas and slightly risky propositions that lead to be best return and the greatest marketability.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:59:50 PM »
Forrest:

Usually breakthroughs are the result of new people entering the fray, rather than old people suddenly developing new concepts.  I suspect that the current business climate is not especially friendly to new people entering the business right now, so we're less likely to see something really new.

The flip side is that if we did see something new (or do it ourselves), it would attract a great deal more attention now than it would have five years ago.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
Good points. What about A.W. — seems his best ideas, at least those written about, were not at the onset, but later on.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Brian Phillips

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
The tee complexes at The Castle course.  I have seen it before but never as well done as the team has done there.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »
Do you really think Tillinghast's later work was much better?  More refined, perhaps, but his first three significant courses were Shawnee, Somerset Hills and SFGC, which are all pretty darned good.

I'm reading a good book right now, The Black Swan, where the author ruminates about (among other things) how artists tend to become too safe over time and to start listening to their market instead of to their inner voice.  Probably a good thing for me to read.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »
Tom - challenge paradigms :)

(besides, it's more fun!)

PThomas

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
I haven't been there to see it, but I love the idea of no fixed tees at Ballyneal, and the winner of the previous hole says, "Tee it up here!"

That's the most unusual and interesting thing I've heard of in years.  It certainly wouldn't work at your typical CCFAD.  :o

Ace - that's the way it is at The Dunes CLub in MI
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »
Hanse built a "no teeing ground" first hole at French Creek in '03.  He mentioned that they liked the concept so much they've incorporated it elsewhere.

I think it's a great idea, and hope to see its use increase.

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
I am hopefully going to play at The Kinloch Club near Lake Taupo, in New Zealand in January.  From the photos seen so far this does not look like a typical Nicklaus design, especially the bunkering.
We will see.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:17 PM »
Forest
I am going to go out of my way to see Chambers Bay in person next year. I think that the shaping of the faux dunes, based upon the photos I've seen is fantastic - leaving almost Van Gogh brush strokes. I'm also intrigued to see how it grows in, but I can't do that next year.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30:47 AM »
I'm not as experienced as some here, but the Chambers Bay 12th, especially the green, was something new to me. You might be able to drive it onto the green,  but that is not guarantee you are going to get a 3, or a 4 for that matter.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 02:37:39 AM »
Hanse built a "no teeing ground" first hole at French Creek in '03.  He mentioned that they liked the concept so much they've incorporated it elsewhere.

Dan what does "no teeing ground" mean.

I want to know if anyone has completely abandoned the tee pad thing and has completely extended the fairway to the tees. I am thinking how great it would be for the maintenance crew to forget about having to mow tees in the morning and just be able to treat the tees like fairway.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 07:53:07 AM »

Dan what does "no teeing ground" mean.

I want to know if anyone has completely abandoned the tee pad thing and has completely extended the fairway to the tees. I am thinking how great it would be for the maintenance crew to forget about having to mow tees in the morning and just be able to treat the tees like fairway.

I would cry tears of warm mirth to work at that course.

And Ryan would get less picture messages of my wonderful triplex striping jobs. I hate striping, but am proud of my work.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »
The "no teeing ground" thing is not really an innovation.

Mike Keiser has had that rule in effect at The Dunes Club from its inception -- that is one of the reasons I thought that I would like to work with him someday, because it was a very open-minded idea.

When we built The Sheep Ranch, we did not build any tees at all, because they would have gotten in the way of approaching the adjacent green from some possible angle of attack.  (We DID level off a few small spots in different places around the green.)  However, I wouldn't take credit for that either -- that's how golf was played at its very origin.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
Please let me know (Tom D.) how you enjoyed The Black Swan. I have heard of it and it remains on a list, but not read yet. I am in the middle of Travels with Charley (Steinbeck) and Joe Garagiola's new book, Just Play Ball.

I am hardly qualified to know about A.W.'s work as I have seen only a fraction of his courses. I was speaking to his writing and ideas, which always seem very interesting — even if not built or still in effect.

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »

I am hardly qualified to know about A.W.'s work as I have seen only a fraction of his courses. I was speaking to his writing and ideas, which always seem very interesting — even if not built or still in effect.

Forrest, seems like he would fit in quite well with the majority of todays modern architects, whole lot of talk and not a lot of action.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back