News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Is the Dominican Republic the new Florida with better golf?
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
A friend of mine swears that the DR is the new Florida:

1. 7+ international airports

2. Casa de Campo/Teeth of the Dog is old news in terms of golf?

3. Real estate prices are holding?

4. Norman, Fazio, Nicklaus.......better golf.

I have never been there, thoughts?

Steve Sayre

Re:Is the Dominican Republic the new Florida with better golf?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
I enjoy the golf at Casa de Campo. The courses have been examined by GCA'ers, and pace of play has never been a problem in my experience. The resort itself is frustrating --- you just have the sense that if Cliff Roberts could have his way for 30 days, it would be so much improved.  Example: receiving an accurate invoice on check-out is virtually impossible, and the whole audit and correction process is like a six hour round.  Example 2: they offer you golf carts when you rent a villa, and you get to the practice range, courses, restaurants and beach by sharing the road with speeding construction trucks overloaded with workers.  For short money, build paths alongside the roads for crying out loud. Example 3: Cliff could fix the food problems, too, especially at the all inclusive group of restaurants.

I don't know about Punta Cana or elsewhere yet.  The weather is much more reliable than Florida in Jan and Feb.

Pretty good flight options from Boston.

What courses apart from CdeC are inviting?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
Been to Casa De Campo 4 times over the past 27 years. Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore are 2 excellent courses.

Lodging is just so so, ditto for the food. Weather is perfect. Transportation is better.

Don't know about the other resorts.

Excellent choice for a winter trip, better golf than Florida and guaranteed weather.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
I played a round of golf at Punta Cana's P.B. Dye course last summer.  I found it to be a desert-like almost target-golf experience/layout in a seaside tropical setting.  

As I had expected, the P.B. Dye aspect of it was overly contrived with bazaar landforms, an endless array of pot bunkers, stone walls, and multi-tiered greens.  It didn't compliment the setting as it could have, and isn't a course worth traveling internationally to see.  There is a Nicklaus course nearby, and a Fazio (and perhaps another Nicklaus) which were under construction and must be nearing completion.  With those additions, it will become a more appealing golf destination.

We stayed at the Club Med - almost next door to the golf course - and there seemed to be an abundance of resorts of the all-inclusive variety in reasonably close proximity.  The resort service was frustrating - friendly, but maddeningly lacking common sense, accuracy, or attention to detail found in finer domestic resorts.

It's probably a much better winter destination - Punta Cana in mid-June was HOT and HUMID like I have never experienced!!!

Adam Sherer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:59:07 PM »
First off: does that comparison have a negative conotation?

Because I tend to think of Florida golf as largely post war, baby boom, "Jones Sr."-like courses (which does not bode well for a gca.com discussion in terms of architectural integrity and interest).

However, there seems to be a trend of highly skilled architects leaning towards places like the DR to design new courses.

It may be better than Florida if these aforementioned points are valid.

What do you think?
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »
   I'm lucky enough to spend three months at Casa de Campo each year.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Best winter golf in the world.  Period.

Greg Clark

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
Teeth of the Dog is outstanding.  The La Romana Country Club, also by Dye is worth checking out if you can get on.  Playa Grande on the north coast is a truly undiscovered gem.   Robert Trent Jones Sr. is credited as the architect.  I can't remember the whole story, but I know he visited the site and I believe he did at least the routing.  If I remember correctly (and I may not), I'm not sure that he visited the site alot during construction as he was fairly advanced in age at that point.  

12 holes on the cliffs overlooking the ocean, with several of these holes very interesting.  The par 5 12th is a stand out.  You have to drive the ball 200 yards to clear an inlet, and the hole then angles almost 90 degrees to the left on the other side.  There is a stand of trees jutting out of the cliff that come into play on the drive.  You can play safely to the right of them making the hole a clear 3 shotter.  Or you can tangle with the trees (my ball lost that battle and ended up in the bay below) to cut off some of the hole and get home in 2.  Inland holes have a few good ones, but nothing special.  It's been almost 10 years since I've played it, but I don't remember   the greens or fairways having alot of contour to them, or interesting bunkering.    But the site itself is strong enough to make this a place well worth visiting if you are in DR.  The vistas are stunning there.

Was it Golf or Golfweek that just did a top 50 Caribbean courses list?  It didn't include this course, which just goes to show that almost no one goes to play it.  No way there are 10-20 better courses in the islands than Playa Grande.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:23:57 AM by Greg_Clark »

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52:23 PM »
Playa Grande on the north coast is a truly undiscovered gem.  
looks interesting!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back