News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Little OT: Sherwood and, em, Sherman
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:24:51 PM »
Commentators just mentioned the locale as the setting for some of the filming of M*A*S*H TV series.

Paramount Comedy Channel, co-incidentally is having a M*A*S*H weekend right now. I have been wallowing big-time in great memories of truly BRILLIANT TV (and wiping away a tear or two too).

Thank you America, for the best telly of my teens.

Those hills do look DAMNED familiar... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Little OT: Sherwood and, em, Sherman
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 05:31:17 PM »
Martin,
 Its funny, but in a conversation with Dr. Childs this weekend, I swore to him that MASH was filmed at the site of Lost Canyons. I know Little House on the Prairie was. Much of Mash was also filmed  in Santa Clarita.

I'm probably wrong, or maybe I'm thinking of the actual Robert Altman movie.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Tommy,
one of the episodes last night was the first appearance of BJ when Hawkeye and Radar pick him up and steal the General's Jeep to transport him to the 4077th.

I could SWEAR they drove right through the golf course!!!!  Some of those Live Oak(?) copses look very familiar. When was Sherwood built???

;D
MB.

Modified for 'Rank'ing purposes only!!! ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:57:33 PM by Martin Glynn Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Robin

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:14:51 PM »
Interiors for M.A.S.H. the TV series were shot on Stage 9 at 20th Century Fox(same stage as NYPD Blue). Exteriors were mostly in the hills above Malibu Canyon(Malibu Creek I think). I'm sure there were times over the long life of the series when they were in both Lake Sherwood and Simi Valley.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »
My all time fav TV show. There is supposedly a hiking trail in the Malibu canyon area where you can go the camp site. There is still an old jeep and ambulance used during filming there. My fav episode is when the whole camp gets sick and Hawkeye and Hoolihan have to immunize each other. When Radar walks in when Hawk's got his pants down is just priceless! :D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »
I think they also shot the original "Adventures of Robin Hood" there, with Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHaviland, in 1938 - the 'Sherwood Forest' scenes. That was a few years before the term 'in like Flynn' entered the American lexicon.

Peter

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »
Thank you Mr. Robin.

If you hadn't answered that, you were never going eat lunch (or golf) in this town again! ;)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:19:01 AM by Tommy Naccarato »

John Keenan

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
I have been told by many in Chico CA that Robin Hood was filmed in Bidwell Park.  

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Brad Klein

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »
I think Bonanza was actually filmed (or recorded for TV) on the grounds of what is now Whisper Rock-Upper Course in Scottsdale, right by the old Dick Van Dyke Studios. Certain segments of the "Tarzan" movie series were filmed on the grounds of Bel Air CC in L.A. Also, "Pat and Mike " (Hepburn & Tracy, 1952) was filmed in part on the grounds of Ojai Valley Inn & CC.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:11:49 PM by Brad Klein »

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:33:58 PM »
I think they also shot the original "Adventures of Robin Hood" there, with Errol Flynn and Olivia DeHaviland, in 1938 - the 'Sherwood Forest' scenes. That was a few years before the term 'in like Flynn' entered the American lexicon.

Peter

so, did Flynn do the original routing at Sherwood?  Wayne will know.

I recall Flynn (the swashbuckiling Tasmanian) was very popular with the ladies, so he was probably involved in a derivative of routing at Sherwood!

James B (pretending to be Joe H)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
I think Bonanza was actually filmed (or recorded for TV) on the grounds of what is now Whisper Rock-Upper Course in Scottsdale, right by the old Dick Van Dyke Studios. Certain segments of the "Tarzan" movie series were filmed on the grounds of Bel Air CC in L.A. Also, "Pat and Mike " (Hepburn & Tracy, 1952) was filmed in part on the grounds of Ojai Valley Inn & CC.

Don't tell that to the people of Kanab, UT. They have a great business going taking tourists to the ranch from Bonanza out east of town.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Klein

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:41 PM »
Well, maybe it was "Gunsmoke."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:23:04 PM by Brad Klein »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:04:31 AM »
Parts of Bonanza were supposedly filmed by Lake Tahoe. We stopped by to see the Pondarosa and it was a disappointment. Apparently the opening scenes were in Lake Tahoe and the ranch house was a set on a sound stage in Hollywood.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/laketahoe/a/ponderosa.htm

Don't see any mention of Utah...

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/locales.html

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:05:47 AM by Craig Edgmand »

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52:24 AM »
Actually some of the "Ponderosa" scenes were filmed in Riverside county near the towns of Hemet and San Jacinto. I know that that this was done for at least a season.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »
Parts of Bonanza were supposedly filmed by Lake Tahoe. We stopped by to see the Pondarosa and it was a disappointment. Apparently the opening scenes were in Lake Tahoe and the ranch house was a set on a sound stage in Hollywood.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/laketahoe/a/ponderosa.htm

Don't see any mention of Utah...

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/locales.html

Being one of the younger fellows on this site, I watched a few episodes of bonanza during its waning days and even back then it was painfully obvious the ranch scenes were not shot in actual nature...

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
I swore to him that MASH was filmed at the site of Lost Canyons. I know Little House on the Prairie was.

It always struck us plains folks funny, what Hollywood thought a prairie looked like.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back